Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Not Registered on Network

PeteSullivan
4: Newbie

Hi

I got my S4 on 3rd May and after a few days started giving the message of Not registered on network this would happen in many locations even standing still, (I havew had my contract for 4 years) so it was not a new connection problem.  Tried my sim card in my daughters HTC One and that was fine so that was eliminated, reported the problem and the phone went away for repair, it was returned a week later with a letter saying they could not find the fault and had updated the software.  Put in a new sim card and all was well for 5 days when the problem started again.  The only waay to get the phone back on the network seems to be power it down, wait a minute and then start it up again.  It is now away for repair again if it comes back with the same problem again, what action can I take?  I think the S4 is a fantastic phone and do not want a different make or model, I want a S4 that works.

Network coverage is good since I am in London, so this makes no sense and if they cannot find the fault or repair it, I want the phone replaced.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As the person who started this thread, I can assure you it is not a common problem, my phone was replaced (after 3 repair attempts) and not had any issues since so I am very satisfied.   As for being a well documented problem, I do not think so, whilst Google is good it also throws up many non related results.

Darren, I do not know how Samsung works (I am sure someone will) but with Voda they will try 3 repairs then replace it and it is always away no more than 7 days.

View solution in original position

169 REPLIES 169

Thanks for that pete , hopefully  a tech team member will be in touch soon.

Incredible Ian

I'm having this problem too. Vodafone's reception is lousy at my house (within a 20 meter radius of it). I can apparantly have "full bars" but I'm not registered to a network. Postcode is in the CB10 area.

Can't wait to move off Voda as soon as my contract is up next spring, it'll be a welcome change to have signal and/or a working phone line.

I had an S3 delivered yesterday.  This morning I started getting the "Not registered on Network" messaged when trying to make a phone call and it will neither send or receive texts.   

I have tried the suggestions of manually switching to 3G/2G in the settings menu - made no difference.  When I try the path of switching networks the only ones the phone picks up after a scan are 3UK, EE and O2-UK.  No Vodafone.  I cannot use the SIM in my old phone (Galaxy S2) as it is a different type and the number has now been transferred to the new SIM.  So basically both phones will only work indoors connected tothe Wi-Fi.

The problem seems tohave started once I imported the web settings I was sent via text from Vodafone once the SIM went live and registered on the network.  

Interestingly the "Vodafone" app that gives me my usage, bills etc. will not work either - it keeps telling me to turn off the Wi-Fi  and try again.

I would appreciate any and all advice on how to fix this fast as I am now uncontactable unless in a W-Fi zone when Skypewill work.

RangerNeil
Oops - typo - its an S4 that I have.
At some point in the night it found a network as I had some text messages delivered but this morning it was back to the same problem.
Doing some further investigating I find:
On 2G only - it will only find EE
On 3G only and 2G/3G auto it finds EE, O2 UK and 3UK
only on 4G/3G/2g will it find Vodafone but it will not connect/register.
Further - looking at the phone information it does not show the phones number.
Is this a faulty SIM ???

Hi there RangerNeil,

The easiest way to test a faulty SIM is to try it in another phone.

If the same happens, it's highly likely the SIM is faulty.

Cheers,

LeeH

Cheers Lee - unfortunately here the S4 is the only one that uses the new micro sim so I will have to take it to a Vodafone store to try this out.

Interestingly - at some point in the night it must have registered and picked up a signal as there were two test texts received when I woke up this morning.  And it happened again in the early evening today - all of a sudden I got the notification for a received text message and there was another one delivered, for maybe 30 seconds or so after it came in and I read it I lost the "emergency calls only" message - but then it all went pear shaped again.......

Finally fixed ,I hope. For a few months I have had this problem ,tried sim swaps and different phones , then sent to samsung service center and came back ,just flashed with some firmware, still same problem (over 2 weeks with samsung)

Then I sent to vodafone repair center on monday, received back on Friday and all ok so far (36 hrs later).The resolution code was "11 signal switch or antenna replacement". So good service from vodafone service center.

OK - took mine back to the store at lakeside yesterday,.  No signal all the way there, but as soon as I walk in the store I have  a signal and network connectivity.  The tech guy in the shop had a look and said he thought the phone and sim were fine and suggested I ring tech support - apparently based in Egypt (oh joy....) - and talk to them.  He further advised this was likely to be a long call - to an 0870 number 😞    Further - he suggested they might ship out a Sure Signal unit - which might make the phone work indoors but is of little use away from home and which from memory incurs a £100 charge?     Seems I have to be almost on top of a mast to get it to work as a phone.

I mentioned the resoluton darren1967 had of "11 signal switch or antenna replacement" but was told that only affected the 3g versions so now all Vodafone supply is the 4G variant.  

To say I am less than happy is an understatement!!!!!!!  I will call the tech centre tomorrow - but my past experience of calling such places does not fill me with confidence, nor does the thought of a prolongued conversation with some one talking in an accent I can barely understand and who is running through a set script.... 😞

thesoupdragon
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
I would ring Samsung and talk to them. They can arrange a postal repair. Usually turned around within a week.
Their call centre is based in Ireland (the one I spoke to anyway).
You can explain about the suspect aerial and they will add it to the engineer notes. 😉

dorianacellura
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi all, 

I have started to experience the same problem since this Sunday 10th November with my Galaxy S4. Lost signal at some point and never got it back. Switching from LTE/GSM  to GSM network didn't work in my case. I have travelled 30 miles west and east of where I normally reside and I have no coverage anywhere in those areas where I used to have perfect coverage. Internet data working fine though. Rebooting didn't work, and I have also tried uodating to the latest firmware. No change in behaviour. Tried to put my SIM card in someone else's phone and it worked; tried to out their SIM card (from O2) in my phone and it didn't work, so it's clearly some issue with the phone itself.

Phone is unbranded, i.e. didn't get it from Vodafone, so not sure what to do in this case? Take it to a Vodafone store o to a Samsung repairer?