Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Not Registered on Network

PeteSullivan
4: Newbie

Hi

I got my S4 on 3rd May and after a few days started giving the message of Not registered on network this would happen in many locations even standing still, (I havew had my contract for 4 years) so it was not a new connection problem.  Tried my sim card in my daughters HTC One and that was fine so that was eliminated, reported the problem and the phone went away for repair, it was returned a week later with a letter saying they could not find the fault and had updated the software.  Put in a new sim card and all was well for 5 days when the problem started again.  The only waay to get the phone back on the network seems to be power it down, wait a minute and then start it up again.  It is now away for repair again if it comes back with the same problem again, what action can I take?  I think the S4 is a fantastic phone and do not want a different make or model, I want a S4 that works.

Network coverage is good since I am in London, so this makes no sense and if they cannot find the fault or repair it, I want the phone replaced.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As the person who started this thread, I can assure you it is not a common problem, my phone was replaced (after 3 repair attempts) and not had any issues since so I am very satisfied.   As for being a well documented problem, I do not think so, whilst Google is good it also throws up many non related results.

Darren, I do not know how Samsung works (I am sure someone will) but with Voda they will try 3 repairs then replace it and it is always away no more than 7 days.

View solution in original position

169 REPLIES 169

If you got the Phone from someone other than Vodafone, you won't be able to take it to the store I'm afraid.
You can either take it back to the retailer, or as you mention go directly to Samsung.
If I were you, i would go to Samsung direct! 😉

Sent from my Mobile 😉

Beccij
2: Seeker

I'm pretty sure I posted this yesterday but it has disappeared from what I can see. Apologies if this is repeated.

I am experiencing no signal, no network or emergency calls only at my workplace DN4 5NU. I have recently upgraded to the Samsung S4 having previously had an Iphone 4. With my iphone I had no issues with signal here. I have no signal issues elsewhere, just in this location which is really inconvenient as it is my workplace. 

I got the phone on 20th October but the problem has only arisen since about 31st October.

I have tried to raise a query through my account with no reply despite a promise of a response within 48 hours (I did this 7th November), I have tried to call but long wait times and the store is always busy with only 2 members of staff on and then my post on here disappears. Not a happy bunny here. I even tweeted vodafone with no response.

Hi, 

I have sorted my problem...I have found that my phone is barred...though not by Vodafone, which is weird. If it is barred for having been reported as lost or stolen then it should be barred on any network! So I suggest anybody who is experiencing this issue to check with CHECKMEND service. It only costs £1.93 but well worth the money. I am now sending my phone to the retailer for a (promised) full refund

PeteSullivan
4: Newbie

Well after 3 months it has started again, luckily my wife has an S3 also on vodafone so I know the network is not the problem. Spoke to CS the other day and they tried running it on GSM only and still nothing so it was battery and sim out again.

It went again this morning so I called CS who suggested a lot of people have this problem so call Samsung, I told her it had been away 3 times already so she was insistant that it goes for a 4th repair, once they accepted that was not an option, I have been told a replace phone has now been sent.

Time will tell

r_al_sim

I too have suffered from this issue for over a month now my phone is useless on 2g on the vodafone network. I spent over an hour on the phone to vodafone support. just to tell me i needed a new sim card, and to go in store to get one, went into the store the guy on the desk said they dont know what there talking about look my sim doesnt work in your phone ether and he sent me off to car phone warehouse to get the phone fixed went there they had the phone for 3 weeks said they couldnt repair it and that it may be down to physical damage which wasnt under warentee.

so i've had the phone back now tried replacing the rom on it a bunch of time with no benefit.

if you set the phone to gsm only i get no signal on any network but if i dont have the sim in i can still make emergency calls :Smiling:

if i set the phone to WCDMA and use an orrange sim i get signal fine

if i set the phone to LTE and use an orrange sim i get signall fine 

if i travel over 80 miles from where i live with my vodafone sim in and set the phone to WCDMA i get signal fine 

i've finally decided to just leave vodafone as EE network seems to work fine on the device the only way i can use vodafone is to have it set on WCDMA ONLY and as vodaone 3g coverage in north wales is rubbish i only get 2g round here its useless to me on vodafone.

i've spoke to orrange about buying my contract and cant wait to leave this rubbish network

this has to be the worst device i've ever used coupled with the worst network there is just no hope

hrym
17: Community Champion

Hi r_al_sim

I'm just wondering whether your problem isn't the switching-from-4G issue that's a known problem at the moment (and which Samsung are workiing on).  Can you try turning off LTE and see of that fixes it?   If you're in London, you may need to restrict it to LTE if you want to get 4G.  Otherwise, as it's about the only place you can get it, you won't be inconvenienced.

i'm in north wales

the only way the phone works is to have it on WCDMA only although we dont get WCDMA up in north wales very well so its useless as the signal is so unstable the GSM only option give no networks at all and the LTE/WCDMA option only connects with 1 bar at the best of time i.e standing on top of buildings

hrym

TBH, this sounds like a network issue.  Have you checked the coverage map?  If you should be getting coverage, check the Network threads of the forum here http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/The-network/ct-p/1

what so the whole of north wales doesnt get 2g any more so vodaphone just decided last month they would switch off 2g for me alone and my device alone. get real the 2g is all we get and in the built up areas like bangor and llandudno we get 3g

the phone only gives the option of emergency calls only on gsm but will connect on wcdma (read the posts)

hrym

If you should be getting coverage where you are, can you check the Network thread which will tell you if there are any specific problems in your area, as this is rather what your original post points to.

If that draws a blank, it's possible that there's a fault with your handset and that it'll need to go for repair.