Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Not Registered on Network

PeteSullivan
4: Newbie

Hi

I got my S4 on 3rd May and after a few days started giving the message of Not registered on network this would happen in many locations even standing still, (I havew had my contract for 4 years) so it was not a new connection problem.  Tried my sim card in my daughters HTC One and that was fine so that was eliminated, reported the problem and the phone went away for repair, it was returned a week later with a letter saying they could not find the fault and had updated the software.  Put in a new sim card and all was well for 5 days when the problem started again.  The only waay to get the phone back on the network seems to be power it down, wait a minute and then start it up again.  It is now away for repair again if it comes back with the same problem again, what action can I take?  I think the S4 is a fantastic phone and do not want a different make or model, I want a S4 that works.

Network coverage is good since I am in London, so this makes no sense and if they cannot find the fault or repair it, I want the phone replaced.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As the person who started this thread, I can assure you it is not a common problem, my phone was replaced (after 3 repair attempts) and not had any issues since so I am very satisfied.   As for being a well documented problem, I do not think so, whilst Google is good it also throws up many non related results.

Darren, I do not know how Samsung works (I am sure someone will) but with Voda they will try 3 repairs then replace it and it is always away no more than 7 days.

View solution in original position

169 REPLIES 169

Hi r_al_sim,

Please read over our Network Issues thread and post back with the details that it asks for.

Thanks

Wayne

I have been in to the vodafone shop they tried my sim in another phone it was fine recieved 2G 3G but in my phone there sim did not recieve 2G when the phone is set to GSM only it gives emergency calls only and not registered on network error. The man in the vodafone shop told me to take the phone to carphone warehouse as it is the phone that is faulty.

it seems as if the device is barred from GSM towers but fine on all other connection types the device has been sent off and returned with no fault as it works on other networks O2 EE. and as i've had the device for over 3 months it cant just be swapped for another they only do repairs after 3 months.

and this is not specific to one location in caernarfon I have a vodafone GSM mast near me I cant get signal in GSM only mode in bangor I have a UMTS mast near me that i get signal from fine

the simple answer is to leave vodaphone and thats what i'm waiting for right now :Smiling:

if you check vodafones known mast problems on there site they have an issue with one of the masts in bangor thats all

should GSM in the whole of north wales be affected

I myself have flashed the official samsung ROM multiple times with the kies manager this makes no difference

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Given everything you've tried, it pretty much points to a hardware fault.

I am having the same issues with a Galaxy 4S, i.e. 'Not Registered on Network' appearing even in areas where there is 4 bars signal.  When it drops out, it can result in hours delay before getting text messages or voice mail messages, and it's not good enough for business use.

I've called Vodafone Support several times now and been fobbed off every time.  Suggestions to fix it are:

1) Set it to GSM only; (this didn't work, and why should I have to keep switching between modes anyway when I've paid for a 3G contract)

2) Take the SIM card in to a vodafone store for some diagnostics (they don't do this, they just give you a new one)

3) Make a note of every post code that the problem occurs and they willl check the mast for problems.

4) Buy a Sure Signal box. (We have bought one for work, but am I meant to carry one around with me to every location I visit?)

Basically, I am tired of being messed around and fobbed off.  For four business phones, we were quoted £2500 as a settlement to get out of the contract, which I am reluctantly considering, it's got that bad!  The cooling off process is 7-10 days, but even though we reported issues within the first week, their delaying tactics in actually dealing with any issues ensure that you go well beyond that.

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi ste148,

First things first, can I get you to try our troubleshooter?

It covers both phone and network-based issues, so it can help to pin down the cause.

Dave

Hi Dave,

1). Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

It's happened at various places: Skipton, Liverpool City Centre, Birmingham City Centre.

2). What is the full postcode of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the forum, add it to your profile here.
It always occurs at BD23 4RE.

3). Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Yes. 

4). Are there any issues in your area already reported on the Network Updates Board?
No.

5). Does this issue happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all? To check, go to the Help Centre, select your phone and then select "network".

All. 

6). What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

Can't make calls or send/receive SMS. 

7) When did you first notice this issue?

As soon as the phone arrived. 

😎 Is the issue permanent or intermittent (if intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs)?

It depends on location.

I tried my SIM in another phone and get the same result.  Even when the phone is showing full (or almost) signal, I still can't make calls or send txt's.  I get the 'Not Registered on Network' message, see attached.

Regards,

Steve.

Hi all, I have sent my s4 away twice now with this issue and still having same problems, I called vodafone and was told it needs to be sent away again and a repair envelope was sent out. I decided not to send and i got a second phone on orange on payg , and use the s4 on vodafone for email, internet  etc and just accept the poor signal. However  now the phone randomly shuts down and gets hot. 

Please can a tech member please contact me as I would like to buy out of the contract, as i think ther is obviousley a problem with the handset and for the amount of money i spend with vodafone , 4 lines over several years,I dont think it is acceptable to have to keep sending phone for repair.

thanks in advance ,Darren

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Darren,

I'm sorry to hear you're unhappy with our repair process. Do remember that if you wish to get a second opinion you can also contact Samsung directly

If you wish to get an Early Termination Fee quote, I've sent instructions on how to reach my team here. The ETF is calculated as your core line rental (before VAT and discounts) multiplied by the number of months remaining.

Cheers, Ben

hi Ben, the phone has been to the samsung repair center , as recommended on this forum.

PeteSullivan
4: Newbie
Well new phone arrived (reconditioned) so far no problems, this one will not upgrade to 4.3 yet, but otherwise is is good snd definitely faster than the other one.