Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Not receiving texts intermittently on Samsung S3

Hez1987
2: Seeker

I have a Samsung S3 and in the past 5/6 weeks I have had problems receiving text messages intermittently.  However, the messages always turn up approximately every two weeks in one batch. 

It appears that almost all of my messages are sending and being delivered, and I can usually make and receive calls.

The problem is most common from an iphone user.  However, I have never been registered with Apple and we have ensured all the obvious problems with imessage have been address.  My boyfriend has no issues with anyone receving his messages.

I have contacted Vodafone on numerous occasions.  Last week, I activiated a new sim, the problem continued so I completed a factory reset of my phone.  This solved the problem for 48 hours and then it occured again.  Tonight I am activating my second new sim with Vodafone.

What can be done to resolve this problem?  I believe it must be a network problem as the messages eventually arrive... something is delaying them?  A particular example today was when I received a text as a I was using my phone from a friend saying they had just called me and I was unavaliable.  This was impossible and is becoming increasingly frustrating as I am with Vodafone for a further 8 months.

10 REPLIES 10

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Hez1987,

Please test the SIM card in a different phone, this will determine if it's an issue with the phone or network.

If it's the phone we'll need to take a closer look at it. See here for ways to arrange a repair.

Thanks,

Sukhi

Hez1987
I have tried the sim card in another phone with no success.

on Vodafone's advice I have spent £20 to have samsung reset my phone... the problem was back instantly. Samsung have confirmed the handset is working as I can make/receive calls... send all texts and receive most texts. They also said that because the missing messages always end up arriving (weeks later) that it must be a network issue.

last night Vodafone confirmed they have been updating masts in my area to 4g. I have a 4g ready contract but obviously the samsung s3 is 3g.

on three occasions now, I have turned my phone to 'gsm only' and on all three occasions all missing messages have arrived within 12 hrs in one batch. I need this problem sorted or an exit to my contract. This problem is 6-8 weeks old now. Thanks.

Hez1987
Post Title: 'PA8 - Erskine

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

The problem occurs in various locations across the west of Scotland

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the eForum, add it to your profile here.

PA8 7JJ

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

I have put my sim card in a different phone and pending messages did not appear.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

No errors or issues. I am not aware there is a problem until a friend sends a screen shot of missing text messages via whatsapp. All of my sent messages are always received.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

The problem occurs on 3G. If I set my phone to 2g (gsm only) then missing messages appear within 12 hours. My sim card is 4g ready but my s3 galaxy is obviously not compatible.

6) When did you first notice this issue?

It started the last fortnight of Augustm

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

The problem is intermittent and has happened at all times of the day.

Hi Hez1987,

Thanks for the update.

You mention earlier in the thread that you get issues from an iPhone sending you messages.

Is it just one iPhone user or multiple iPhone users?

Also, are they on different networks or Vodafone?

Thanks,

Simon

Hez1987
I can confirm it has happened with at least two iphone users. One on EE one on O2. They have turned off imessage and deleted me as a contact at my request x

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Hez1987, 

You mention the messages still didn't come through when you tried your SIM in a different phone. 

This could be an issue with the SIM. If you visit a Vodafone store we can get a new one registered straight away for you. 

Hopefully this resolves the issue but let us know if you experience any further issues. 

Thanks, 

Kay

Hez1987
I have had two new sims since the problem started. I used this phone with Vodafone successfully for over two years. The problem only started when maintenence/upgrading began in my area for 4g.

Hi Hez1987,

There’s a little bit of contradicting information here.

At the top of the thread you say that this issue happens all over different areas of Scotland. Then, in your latest post, you say the issue has only been present since 4G work started in your area.

Can you confirm if the issue happens in multiple different areas?

I can see no issues with your local site (75776).

Is it only texts that are affected or are calls affected too?

Thanks,

Wayne

Hez1987
I said it has happened in different locations in the west of scorland e.g within 20 mile radius. It only affects text messages as far as I know?