Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Note 4 Strange Internet Issues

piperdog123
6: Helper
Two or three times now I have been online on my Note 4 on genuine sites (today was www.theaa.com) when a Web page has appeared in today's case telling me to upgrade to the latest software. It was not from Sammy. Of course I didn't but these pages appear to be originating via Facebook. I recently removed the app and used Internet to access Facebook but have since put the app back on. I logged out of Facebook on Internet.

Any thoughts
8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

My advice would be to ignore any update requests connected to your firmware software unless they are from a well known trusted source or from within your Software Update Settings within the device. 

Try clearing your Caches and Cookies and Browsing History. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

piperdog123
Hi BoB

Always good to hear from you.

I do close the page down and I would never download software like that. The only place I would ever upgrade my operating system would be via the device settings. I don't even have auto update on.

Just seems a bit suspicious.

@piperdog123 wrote:
Hi BoB

Always good to hear from you.

I do close the page down and I would never download software like that. The only place I would ever upgrade my operating system would be via the device settings. I don't even have auto update on.

Just seems a bit suspicious.

@I always enjoy chatting with you @piperdog123

Of course knowing the wealth of knowledge you hold I know your aware of the information I added ,but to help anyone searching for help for similar issues it maybe useful. 

Hope your well. 😎

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

thesoupdragon
Does your phone have Vodafone Firmware on it, or is it a "Sim Free" version? (Does it have a Vodafone splash screen animation when the phone boots up?)

piperdog123
Hi @thesoupdragon and good morning to you.

My Note 4 is an N910F (EU version) purchased from Amazon earlier this year. It is Sim Free and is running on 5.1.1.

I only ever update apps via either Samsung Apps or Google Play and I only ever update Firmware from the settings tab on my device (I don't have auto update turned on).

As a general rule I don't click on links in emails unless I feel certain they are legit. But I do use Facebook and I do click in links in Facebook such as videos and pictures.

thesoupdragon
Hi Piper dog, morning 😊

Not sure if this is what you are seeing but... Vodafone have been pushing a suite of Vodafone apps to sim free phones in order to, "enhance the user experience..."

It does look like a system update notification.

If you can take a screen shot next time, we will be able to tell you if it's that, or not.
The Vodafone update is safe and everything can be uninstalled later. 😉

piperdog123
Thank you @thesoupdragon

I don't think it was in this case, this seemed like a website that somehow popped up even though I have pop up blocks in place.

Very useful info re Voda sending apps out though. I will keep my eyes open for them.

And yes if the issue occurs again I will endeavour to screen shot.

Thank you again

thesoupdragon

@piperdog123

No problem, sorry we didn't get to the bottom of it.

A pleasure talking with you. :smileywink: