Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Phone not recognising Sim Card

Handsomelew
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I had to claim on my phone insurance, which is through my bank, a few months ago. Mr phone (Samsung G S4) now has a hardware issue were it is unable to recognise my sim card. Vodafone are unable to fix the phone as it is a reconditioned handset issue by the insurer and does not fall under the Vodafone guarantee. It is now outside the insurers guarantee and as the phone is over two years old it is outwith Samsung’s guarantee.

There is no point having the phone fixed at a cost as I can upgrade in September, however, I am annoyed at having to pay my contract for two months when using my back up phone (£10 Samsung emergency phone).

Does anyone have any ideas on this one? Should this still be fixed for free?

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
Hi

Vodafone charge for for the services which is the monthly cost for the allowances and isn't attached to the hardware.

As your over the warranty period you could check any household insurance or check your bank account as some offer mobile phone insurance cover.

T&C and fees applicable.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

@Handsomelew

With the phone being out of guarantee, there is not much that Vodafone will be able to offer without making a chargeable repair.  A Samsung repair Centre, although chargeable, may be offer a repair.

Your contract comes in two parts, the hardware and the airtime.  Your contract is airtime only and you are able to use your SIM in any phone and still receive the same service.  Its unfortunate your spare phone does not support the same services that you have enjoyed on your S4.

With you being able to upgrade September, although any remaining time left on the contract is added onto the new agreement, it might be worth asking Vodafone if they would be willing to allow upgrading a little earlier.  

There are some really nice phones being offered at the moment and you could be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks Ann S for the response.  I will double check the price to get it fixed.  If it's more than X amount I will ask for an early upgrade.  Vodafone were able to do this 4 years ago so I will give that a try if the repair is a small fortune.

Thanks again

Ross

hrym

As the phone was supplied by your insurer, I think your issue is with them.   It might be worth going back to them and quoting the Sale of Goods Act.   I assume it applies to them just as it would to a retailer - the item has to be fit for purpose and last for a reasonable time.

I assume you've tried a new SIM, to see if the problem is with that?

Thank