Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
james631

Phone wont charge or turn on, blank screen. Less than impressed!

Hi all

I have had my SGS2 since December 2011 as my upgrade and so far I have been less than impressed. Firstly one of my main reasons for upgrading to this phone was for the GPS option which couldn't acquire a lock at all. This eventually solved its self although my local store were less than helpful.

The second issue I have been having is that my phone randomly decides to reboot itself every now and again. I have a sim lock on my phone and frequently after a reboot it wont come up with the prompt for me to enter the code leaving me with no connection to the mobile network. The only solution I have found to this is to pull the battery and sim for 10 minutes, reboot and hope it works!

The third issue and the worst so far by a mile, this evening while using my phone to send a quick email it decided to turn its self off and now wont respond to anything! I can't power it back on and the phone is not responding to me plugging the charger in, the only thing that happens is the phone gets incredibly hot. My friend has the same phone so I tried his battery (which was on 93%) but nothing.

I'm leaving the battery out of the phone until the morning hoping this solves the problem but looking around online its seeming more and more unlikely!

Sorry for the tone of the post but as you can imagine I am extremely annoyed! All of my family have been vodafone customers for years (mix of contract and PAYG) but I have been less than impressed with this phone since the day I got it.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this please let me know. I'm getting desperate! :smileysad:

Cheers all

James

Message 1 of 25 (6,020 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

Re: Phone wont charge or turn on, blank screen. Less than impressed!

Right this need to go direct to a service centre

with a list of faults

click

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/location/supportServiceLocation.do?page=SERVICE.LOCATION

If this can not be fixed Samsung will swop for a new one

I took a S2 with a simular fault and it was the USB socket dry joint on the Board all sorted in less then 24 hours

Message 2 of 25 (6,022 Views)
james631

Wow seems like im not the only one awake at this time :L

Should my phone go off to Vodafone for a repair or Samsung? I'm a little bit horrified by the stories im reading online when it comes to Vodafone repairing phones!
Message 3 of 25 (6,021 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
Woppy

Send it to Samsung only for repairs 

Message 4 of 25 (6,008 Views)
james631

I'm not happy with this phone at all to be honest, I have no house phone so at the moment no one has anyway of contacting me apart from email!

My friend who is with orange had his phone picked up by them from his house, the exact same phone on loan and his back in 10 days. Do Vodafone do anything like this or am I basically on my own to pay to get my phone fixed?!
Message 5 of 25 (5,993 Views)
Northern-dj

In a word 

Nope 

Vodafone do a insrance service done via there shops which they sell it to you on point of sale of the phone

All Vodafone will do is send a Padded envelope with a address in black marker pen on it 

Then its up to you how you post it 

But they are very stricket on breaches on warrenty 

Samsung are not

they look at why this has happend

Most repairs are done at your local service centre but if it need escalating then it goes to a secound tier site

if it still can not be fixed then its replace for a brand new unit

This takes five days  

Message 6 of 25 (5,982 Views)
james631

I must say you have been very helpful, Vodafone customer services didn't have a clue. They told me to check the battery was in the phone and wouldn't believe me when I said it was!

I'll pop down the Cardiff centre tomorrow.

I'll keep this thread updated as I go

Message 7 of 25 (5,977 Views)
Northern-dj

No probs when they book it in they will give you a refrance number 

If at any point you need to check you willl need that for Samsung customer service 

Message 8 of 25 (5,969 Views)
james631

Just realised the repair centre is actually a CPW shop. I have contacted samsung via their website as there is no way I will trust them with my phone after a series of bad experiences with them.
Message 9 of 25 (5,952 Views)
Northern-dj

If you do anothere search there idependent mobile phone centres the CPW will allways show up as there a dealer

If there is not one near there will be one close ish that you can send it recorded to eg in the same county but give them a ring  

Message 10 of 25 (5,950 Views)
james631

The only ones that are showing up are CPW results. My postcode is CF37 3DQ. I am a little bit annoyed to be honest, rang Vodafone again and same advice, make sure battery is in phone and is charged. Told them I tried a friends battery at arround 93%  at which point said they were transfering me but disconnected me instead!

Message 11 of 25 (5,941 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
thesoupdragon

If you do a Google search for "samsung mobile service centre"

Halfway down the page you will see 2 companies that offer postal Warranty FREE repairs.

I won't name them or link to them directly as I have not used these companies and I cannot vouch for them!

One is based in London the other in York.

Wink.gif

Autism_sig.png

Message 12 of 25 (5,929 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
proterra

Why cant you just take it into your local Vodafone outlet and they will look at it & send it back if necessary. Plus loan you a phone if you need one. thats what Ive always done and theyve been very helpful, your contract is with them.under the sales of goods act.

Message 13 of 25 (5,919 Views)
Northern-dj

proterra wrote:

Why cant you just take it into your local Vodafone outlet and they will look at it & send it back if necessary. Plus loan you a phone if you need one. thats what Ive always done and theyve been very helpful, your contract is with them.under the sales of goods act.

The Loan service is only available to people who have taken there insurance plan out not open to every one.

and Vodafone shops no longer repair on site and have to send the device away, hence the loan phone.

If you have the insurance plan it has to go to Vodafone

With Samsung phones you get two warranty's

One the place your phone was purchased from eg the retaler 

And you also get a two Years manufacture warranty with Samsung

many of there service centres can do repairs faster and on site

so to many this is the only option as they can not do with out there phone  

Message 14 of 25 (5,913 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi james631

Thank you for your posts and a very warm welcome to the eForum.:smileyhappy:

I can see you have had some very sound advice from our excellent community experts, however if you would like us to take a look at the device please take the device to your local store and one of our experts will be able to take a look and advise you of your best options or alternatively we can arrange a postal repair.

If you do take the device elsewhere for repair please keep us updated with how you get on.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 15 of 25 (5,908 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
kennyl

vodafone are joke to deal with everything which goes wrong with a phone is labelled water damaged.

Message 16 of 25 (5,888 Views)
catchpolechris

Hi,

I am a new user to this forum and my Galaxy S2 has developed exactly the same fault and it is only 5 months old.  I took it to the Vodafone store today and they said it was the battery.  They contacted customer services who said they had no batteries to dispatch so I should purchase one from a local store and they would reimburse me.  I did this, put the new battery into the phone and it worked, for all of 5 minutes and it then got very hot and died again.

It is therefore clearly not the battery but an integral fault with the phone and by the look a common fault too which no doubt Vodafone and Samsung are aware.

I am concerned however at the comments relating to phones being taken to Vodafone stores, being sent away for repair and being returned as waterdamaged.  This has put me off returning the phone for repair by this route especially as I know the phone is not waterdamaged..

In contact my Vax Vacuum cleaner has just developed a fault and it is 14 months old with a 2 year warranty, Vax customer Care were first class, dealt with me over the phone in minutes, from a UK based call centre, sent out claim paperwork which arrived next day and a week later a new Vacuum cleaner is on its way to me without them even seeing the old one.

I have been dealing with Vodafone customer services during my upgrade and have found the non UK based contact centre to be appalling, the worst I have ever had to deal with, even the slightest problem turns into a major challenge to resolve, I have reported this on 2 occasions to UK based staff but nothing appears to have changed.

Anyway, looks like I will have to go direct to Samsung, which is not what I should have to do as the contract of sale is with Vodafone but I have little faith in Vodafone Customer Service at present to be able to deal with this fault quickly and satisfactorily and I have already been without a phone now for 2 days.

I will repost how I get on later.

Message 17 of 25 (5,790 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi there catchpolechris,

Thanks for your post about your handset. I'm sorry to read about your issue.

I'd certainly believe that the handset is at fault here and not the battery.

Reports on the eForum of rejected repairs due to water damage are a small percentage of the handsets we actually repair so please don't let that put you off. The repair service we offer is absolutely excellent. Over the years I've had to send my fair share away and have never had a problem.

The nature of an internet forum is that you rarely see members who don't need support so it's very likely to be a place of negative sentiment.

More information on our repairs process can be found below:

Vodafone Repairs

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Lee

Message 18 of 25 (5,780 Views)
Northern-dj

To contact Samsung can be traumatic as well by phone, Don't use Samsung postal as it could go any were,best go via there website 

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/location/supportServiceLocation.do?page=SERVICE.LOCATION

Avoid Carphone warehouse 

Give the service centre a ring, Now most are first tier if its a major fault they will book it in with Samsung and give you a ref number and they will send it recorded to the second tier.

They will make a disition with in 24 hour on what to do, If it can be fixed they will or replace the phone

This does not Void your warranty as the replacement will have the same imei

Now this can tack a Max of 14 days but you can trackj the repair online 

But your local one may be able to sort this  

Message 19 of 25 (5,769 Views)
catchpolechris

Thanks for the link on Vodafone repairs, most useful but I am unable to backup the videos, photos etc before sending for repair as the phone is not working, does this mean I will lose all these when I send it for repair.
Message 20 of 25 (5,761 Views)