cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Question about deleting Samsung GT-S5570 phone memory (not SIM card memory)

Steve_1959_
4: Newbie

Hello

I have a fairly new Samsung from a relative who was with EE/T Mobile. I got the phone unlocked and inserted my usual Vodafone SIM card in it and it seems to be working. However, I can see contacts, etc from my aunt which must be stored on the phone itself.

What does the phone itself 'remember', please, and what does the SIM card remember, and how would I permanently remove her contacts and texts messages and all related to T Mobile, so that it's just purely a Vodafone phone?

Thank you.

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hrym
17: Community Champion

I've only done a quick bit of research on this, but am I right in thinking this is an Android device?   Your best bet is to do a factory reset (it's in Settings under Privacy).   This will wipe everything and return the phone to its out-of-the-box state.   You can then set it up as "yours".

In theory, just removing you aunt's Google account will get rid of the contacts, but a full reset clears everything, including apps and any other settings and will save possible further hassle down the road.

If you've put stuff of your own on the phone, you'll need to back it up first.  If you've added contacts, they'll have sync'd with your aunt's Google account, so it would be a good idea to write them down and put them back manually later.

View solution in original position

4 REPLIES 4

hrym

I've only done a quick bit of research on this, but am I right in thinking this is an Android device?   Your best bet is to do a factory reset (it's in Settings under Privacy).   This will wipe everything and return the phone to its out-of-the-box state.   You can then set it up as "yours".

In theory, just removing you aunt's Google account will get rid of the contacts, but a full reset clears everything, including apps and any other settings and will save possible further hassle down the road.

If you've put stuff of your own on the phone, you'll need to back it up first.  If you've added contacts, they'll have sync'd with your aunt's Google account, so it would be a good idea to write them down and put them back manually later.

Yes, it's an Android.

Thank you for your reply.

I will do a factory reset - do I remove the SIM card when I do that?

Thanks again.

Steve

hrym

No, you don't need to do that.   It's generally advised to remove an external sd card if you have one, just in case it gets formatted in the process.   It shouldn't, but, y'know!

While you're resetting, go into Settings| About Phone and check for any software updates.  Do this over wifi as it'll be quicker and may use a lot of data if there's a major one.   If you get an update, do another reset afterwards, just to tidy up from the old firmware.

That's great!

Thanks for all your help.

Steve