You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest

Receiving multiple duplicate texts

Hello,

I have been receiving duplicate texts for over a week now.  I have been in touch with customer services, the technical helpline and today visited a store but none of them have been able to solve my issue.  It's now really winding me up.

If I go into airplane mode overnight and then go online in the morning I will receive 15 or more texts, one every few minutes, which were originally sent to me a few days ago.  New texts will arrive with duplicates following swiftly behind.

I have checked settings (as did the store manager in the Vodafone store today) and they are all fine.  I texted 9770 to test this and it texted back (3 times!) to confirm that the settings are correct.

Please help me to resolve this as soon as possible.

regards,

Mark

Message 1 of 30 (13,279 Views)

Re: Receiving multiple duplicate texts

Hello,

Twelve duplicate texts so far over the past hour...

Message 2 of 30 (13,226 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster

+1

I have also been getting multiple texts for a while, usually only 2 or 3 copies, cs mentioned trying to register on another network, which obviously won't happen, followed by re registering back on voda, this has not helped.

Message 3 of 30 (13,155 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your post here.

I must admit that this is a bit of a strange one however; do you know if your outgoing messages are being duplicated or is the issue only affecting inbound messages to your handset?

Have you tried your SIM in another phone?

Do you get the same issue?

Does this happen with all messages or from specific numbers?

If specific numbers, what network are they from?

Have you recently installed any new applications before the issue started?

I would also look at trying a full factory reset after backing up all of your data to see if it is a handset issue that is causing the problem.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 4 of 30 (13,139 Views)

Hi james, as far as i know, it only applies to received texts, no one else has mentioned they have received anything other than what i have posted more than once.

I don't think it is number specific, as it happens with most incoming texts, don't know which network though, i can say iut definitely happens with voda texts.

Don't want to have to reset my phone as it's a pita.

Message 5 of 30 (13,133 Views)
Moderator (Retired) Lee
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there dennisf,

Thanks for your information.

In the first instance, you'll have to ask those that are sending you the messages which network they are on. If it is Vodafone then we'll be able to see what's happening, though we can only access the information if the sender contacts us.

If it's from another network then they will have to contact their network who'll be able to see any reasons why they're being sent more than once.

Normally this is because the message centre isn't responding in time before a re-try is sent. Any network will be able to access this information, but only if they've sent it!

Cheers,

LeeH

Message 6 of 30 (12,952 Views)

Hi Lee, it's often difficult to know which network some of the texts are from, i.e those from banks etc.

Message 7 of 30 (12,919 Views)

Hi,

As far as I could tell they were coming from all networks.

I took my phone into a store this week.  It's been factory reset and ICS reinstalled and so far, so good.  It's a shame not to have got to the root of the problem, but it would suggest that there was some problem with the OS.

Thanks for your help,

Mark

Message 8 of 30 (12,908 Views)
Moderator (Retired) Lee
Moderator (Retired)

[ Edited ]

Hi dennisf,

Thanks for coming back to me.

I'm afraid we can't investigate inbound text messages unless they originate from our network. Even then the sender would need to contact us for security purposes.

Have you tried mjkl's suggestion?

Cheers,

LeeH

Message 9 of 30 (12,829 Views)

I've also been receiving multiple duplicate texts ever since starting to use my new S2 mobile last week. Many are from Vodafone users (because they're my kids!) but I've checked and some are from other networks. I never had this problem on my old handset (an HTC Wildfire) so it is definitely an issue with this S2 handset.

As this is a new handset that I've had for less than 7 days, should I return it or get it reset? I had to stay at home for a day and a half to get delivery, so I want a solution that takes up the least amount of my time!!

Thanks for any ideas.

Message 10 of 30 (12,637 Views)
Rank 11: Helper V

@kpackham, From what i can gather a hard reset should sort this.

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-S2/Hard-factory-reset/td-p/1300024

Batman.gif

Samsung Galaxy SII,

Android Version - 4.1.2

Build - JZO54K.I9100XWLSW

Baseband - I9100XXMS2

Kernel - 3.0.31-1211311dpi@DELL251 #3 SMP PREEMPT Thu May 16 10:05:20 KST 2013

Message 11 of 30 (12,624 Views)

Sorry - asked my question in that other forum by mistake about whether or not to take the SIM card out first....

Message 12 of 30 (12,598 Views)

I have a variation on this problem. I travelled from UK to Bangladesh a week ago. My mother (in the UK / on Orange) sent me 4 text messages on Wednesday and Thursday, to my UK, HTC Desire, Vodafone, phone. Duplicates are raining into my phone. I have about 270 copies now and they keep coming (it's now Sunday). My mum phoned Orange in the UK and they said it was a problem with Vodafone, not them. My brother, on vodafone, has sent me 2 texts from the UK, neither of which has arrived in duplicate. Orange itself erroneously sent me a satisfaction survey after my mother called them. That came 13 times approx but seems to have stopped arriving now.

It would be lovely to be able to put an end to this.

Message 13 of 30 (11,962 Views)

I received duplicate texts in the past on my Vodafone HTC Wildfire, but thankfully it stopped before it irritated me enough to do anything about it. However, I never received that many duplicates!

Re my new Galaxy S2, btw, a hard reset did solve the problem. Tech support initially suggested another solution which ended up gave me a call barring message (not what I was trying to achieve!) but a second call confirmed I needed to do a hard reset. As the handset was new, I had no reason to back anything up first (data on my SIM was preserved) but they mentioned that if I'd taken photos etc, I would need to contact Samsung re how to back everything else up first before resetting. It's a shame this is so complicated and that Vodafone can't provide all this info in one place on the website.

NB Details re how to reset were texted to me, which isn't much use to refer to when you're resetting your handset! So I copied and pasted info to email it to myself (Vodafone - please note this would have been far more useful from you in the first place.)

Message 14 of 30 (11,949 Views)
Jenny
Topics: 554
Solutions: 618

Hi airwin,

Thanks for your post

270 copies is a lot of duplicates! :smileysurprised:

Have these stopped now? If not, I recommend you try the suggestion above by mjkl.

As Lee said above, if it's from another network then they will have to contact their network who'll be able to see any reasons why they're being sent more than once.

Kpackham, it’s a shame to see that you also experienced this problem but I’m pleased to see that this has since been resolved :smileyhappy:

Thanks,

Jenny

Message 15 of 30 (11,918 Views)

Thanks for your responses, Kpackham and Jenny.

I was very put off by the idea of factory resetting my phone, as I have no idea how to save all the message threads and contacts on my phone.  So, instead, I asked my mum to switch off her phone back in the UK, which she has done for the last two nights, between 10pm and 8am her time. The number of duplicate texts has dwindled massively but not stopped. I'm receiving 2-3 while her phone is off and about 6 each day time when it's on. That's much better than 60 a day. I'm wondering, if I got her to switch it off for a full 24 hours whether they would stop completely.

At any rate, Jenny, do you think this indicates it's a problem with her handset rather than mine? She's not getting this problem with others. I, however, had the problem with one other : Orange itself, although that stopped after 22 duplicates.

Thank you

Message 16 of 30 (11,872 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi airwin, 

It's great to see that the number of texts you're getting is reducing, but it would be nice to get these stopped altogether!

If asking your mum to switch her phone off has helped then it can't hurt to do this again :smileyhappy:

Duplicate text messages are usually caused when the network doesn't know if the recipient has received them - in this case, when the original text arrives at your handset, an acknowledgement is sent to the senders message centre to let it know you've got the message.

If this acknowledgement doesn't get back to the message centre it thinks that you haven't received the message and sends it again - and again, and again until it's told you have the message :smileywink:

This is probably what's causing your issue and can be caused by a poor network connection - can you perform a  manual roam for me?

This is where you go into settings > wireless and network > mobile networks > network operators.

In here choose a different network from the one you want to be on, then repeat the process and choose the network you want.

This should update you on the network - test it by dialing *#105# into your handset and pressing call - the screen that displays will tell you the last time you registered on the network (this should be within the last 24 hours)

Let me know how you get on :smileyhappy:

Paul

Message 17 of 30 (11,846 Views)

Hi Paul, thanks for this idea. It has worked somewhat!. When I did it, the texts stopped coming completely ... until my mother sent me a fresh text. Then they started arriving in duplicate again until I repeated your trick (switching to a different network and then switching back) at which point they stopped again. She's now sent me another text and I've received 5 of th em so am about to perform the switch again. Does this tell you anything interesting? many thanks,

Message 18 of 30 (11,705 Views)
Moderator (Retired) Lee
Moderator (Retired)

Hi airwin,

Whcih network is your mother on? Also, do you receive duplicates from anyone else?

Cheers,

LeeH

Message 19 of 30 (11,652 Views)

I am receiving duplicate texts from someone on Vodafone. How would they contact you to see if their phone is the problem?

Message 20 of 30 (11,608 Views)
Nexus 6

Nexus 6

More space to explore

Buy now