Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Retrieving Lost Text Messages

Jennyn141
2: Seeker

Good Afternoon,I have been trying to recover text messages from last year (2014) that were automatically deleted from my Samsung S3 phone without my knowledge due to the phone being automatically pre-set on purchase to delete text messages after a certain period of time, therefore I have been trying to look into apps online which may be able to help me to do this, however a number of the apps that I have found expect you to set up 'Root Access' on your phone, however I am very reluctant to do this due to researching that this can seriously risk damaging your phone. I would be very grateful if you could please provide me with help and advice on this or to perhaps recommend apps that are more reputable and safer to use? Many thanks in advance.
Model GT-I9300MBDBTU

3 REPLIES 3

hrym
17: Community Champion

Rooting your phone will invalidate your warranty and isn't something that should be undertaken lightly.   As with any storage, the sooner you act, the better chance you have of recovering lost data, of course.

I don't think there's any altenative to rooting, but you could look at reversing the process afterwards.  The phone will record what's been done, though, so putting it back won't re-validate the warranty.

If you need to keep text messages, I wouldn't rely on the phone storage alone (if it had to be factory reset, they'd go, for instance).  Look for an app called Kies Air (it may be on your phone or you may need to download it).  This can copy content to and from a pc via wifi and I'm pretty sure it includes SMS.

Edited to add: Kies air isn't on Play.   You have to get it from Samsung.  Just Google for that.

Basel00
[Removed by moderator]can easily help you recover the lost text messages on android phones. You can follow the steps below:
1. Connect your android phone to PC via USB or WiFi
2. Start scanning and select the file which you want to restore
3. Save the recovered items

hrym

Sounds interesting.  The only caution I'd add is to be very careful about apps that don't come from Google Play.

Also, you have a better chance of recovering deleted items if you do it as soon as possible after they've been deleted.  The longer you wait, the more likely that area of storage is to have been over-written.