Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Roaming ?

BonnieXX
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi guys,

I am going on holiday soon and i want for my internet to be turned off so that even apps cant update in the background and me not know and end up with a big bill. As far as i can see, i need to uncheck the data roaming box and when i press the power off button, de-activate the data network mode, is there anything else i need to do ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hrym
17: Community Champion

If a picture message cost 37p that, as far as I'm aware, is the same cost as in the UK.  However, you could send a text meaage without turning data on as this doesn't use the data network.

The danger with turning data roaming on temporarily is that anything that syncs in background would be able to do so and you might run up some extra data costs as a result.  If Euro Travelller works in Norway, then you could opt in to that your only cost would be £3 per day as usage would come out of your contract allowance (note that most contracts don't include picture messages).

View solution in original position

21 REPLIES 21

thesoupdragon

When you untick Data Roaming it will automatically turn that feature off in the Power button menu.

Wink.gif

Mines doesnt, my data roaming has been unticked since i got the phone but the data network mode is activated.

drey_p
16: Advanced member

When you untick the Data Roaming option in your phone, it will stop your phone using data while you aren't in the UK but may still have the arrows showing with a G, H, 3G symbol above it.  As long as the arrows aren't lit, your phone has made a data connection but isn't using data. If you want complete peace of mind, you can also disable mobile data completely.

The other option is to turn off the phone completely and lock it up in the hotel safe while you're away... that way you can really save money on romaing charges!!! LOL

PWIAC

Grayman

Hi BonnieXX,

As the soupdragon and drey_p have stated, turning the Data Roaming option OFF should stop the phone from transmitting or receiving any mobile data when you are out of the UK.  If for any reason this does not work though, there is a data cap which is automatically placed on all numbers, which has to be opted out of, which will cap any data usage at about 50 euros in europe (about £40 i think) and £100 in the rest of the world (Info Here )so in the unlikely event that the data roaming option does not work, and the phone connects to data, you shouldn't be hit with a big bill for data.  If you are not sure if you have opted out or not, your customer services team should be able to advise you on this.  For complete and utter peace of mind, you could always ask your customer services team to bar data on your numkber just before you leave, and then unbar it as soon as you are back in the UK.

Hope this helps

Grayman

Northern-dj

You can just shut your data off all togeather 

there are a phew widgets that will do this for you , or you can create a blank APN 

Open up the the phones settings then Mobile networks press Apn settings the ###### a new one name it Data off 

when fininshed to turn data off put a green dot in the Data off Apn 

Then any thing trying to use 3G carn't 

To get this back put a Dot back in the Vodafone Apn I did this when i went to Minorca

I also used the Switch pro widget and that worked as well 

I've just come off holiday and was paranoid that my phone would be periodically connecting to data and that my bill would be astronomical.  I kept the phone off for the majority of the holiday but that wasn't really what I wanted.

Checking my Settings on my S2 I had the following ticked whilst abroad.

Use packet data....ticked

Data roaming.......unticked.

Can I ask (in laymans terms) what is 'Use Packet Data' because that is always ticked even when in the UK and was ticked whilst on holiday.  Not too sure what 'Data Roaming' is but a warning comes up of 'significant charges may be incured' if activated, so needless to say that was not checked during the holiday!

At home I always use the home WiFi connection to access the internet on the S2 but when I leave home the 3G or H symbols appear in place of the WiFi symbol and this allows me to send picture messages and access the internet.

I also wanted to send a picture message home to a friend whilst abroard and understood via a text from Vodafone when I reached the country that it would cost me 39p however whenever I tired to send a picture message I was told that this wasn't possible and would be sent when possible!  So how do I send a picture message whilst in a different country to the UK?  I note that in the UK that 'Data Network Mode' is activated when in the UK but noted whilst abroad that it was deactivated, something I didn't instigate, so again not too sure what was going on there.  Has the deactivation of the 'Data Network Mode' whilst abroad got something to with the inability to send a picture message home and in order to send a picture message home the 'Data Network Mode' would have to be activated and a cost of 39p would be incurred?

Checking the link from Greyman does it mean that on my next holiday abroad should the worse happen I'll never have to pay more than about £40 should for any reason I use this data roaming thing (which I don't understand).

In conclusion all I want to do whilst on holiday is perhaps send the odd text message home together with the odd picture message back to the UK without the fear of a being hit with a big bill after getting home. If I wanted to use the internet it will only be to check my emails. If some kind soul could guide me through the process my next holiday will be a tad less fearful of receiving a big mobile phone bill after getting home! :smileyhappy:

Many thanks

Wow... lots of questions... :smileyvery-happy:

Use Packet Data = Mobile Internet enabled

Data Roaming = Mobile Internet, MMS, Txt, available outside of UK Coverage (with Euro-Traveller enabled on your account.)

Euro-Traveller

Hope this helps?

TimDroid-wink-small.png

I didn't pay £3 a day so I don't know what Euro traveller is all about.  I just took my S2 abroad wondering whether I would be hit with a big bill at the end of it.

Thanks anyway :smileyhappy:

If you don't enable "Data Roaming" nothing will work abroad.

Euro Traveler enables you to use your Contract minutes, txt and data allowance while outside the UK.