Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

S3 getting hot

Kerriisla
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
Hi hoping one of the tec team can help, as last year had a ridiculously back time. Ringing up for help so I'm not doing that. Ok so my s3 has started to Get hot and draining the battery really quickly, when I then charge it up it won't send any text until I've taken the battery and the sim out and restarted the phone. This is exactly what happened to my Old phone last year and it took 6 months of phoning up and call backs ( when they bothered) to get it sorted. Like I said it is now happening with this phone. I know the " help" line will say I will need to send it off but as I'm 8 months pregnant being without a phone is not an opition and don't see why I should have to buy a pay as you go whilst being sent off, I also live 40 minutes away from the nearest Vodafone store , I'm totally losing faith with Vodafone after being a customer for many years. Please please can someone help. I'm dreading going into labour and my phone not working. X
13 REPLIES 13

froggerty
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

It could be that an App is continually running in the background and taking so much power that it's draining your battery and heating up a component. Go into the phones settings, then Application manager, scroll down through the listed Apps and identify the one that uses the largest memory, open it and if it says 'ongoing' then it could be that, if you find such an App come back and tell us what it is and how much memory it's using, this will be measured in either Kbs or Mbs, probably the latter.

They all seem to be to do with google apps anything from 35 mb to 55mb , but none of them say ongoing ,just force stop or uninstall sorry I may sound really think lol.

hrym
17: Community Champion

If you go into Settings, have a look at the usage breakdown and see which app is using the most data.  This may give us a clue (it depends on whether it's using data or not).  You can also go down to About Phone, where there's a breakdon of what's using the battery.   That may not specify the actual app but, again. may provide a clue.

I'm suspicious that this has happened on two different phones as it rather points to a common usage pattern.  Regarding my question about the battery, I realise it may be going flat now, but have you been in the habit of allowing it to go flat in the past, before you had this problem?  Though, if the battery's not getting hot, this may not be the issue.

63johnw
If you do the reset install your apps one at a time and leave a little while to see if everything is ok.