Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

S3 getting hot

Kerriisla
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
Hi hoping one of the tec team can help, as last year had a ridiculously back time. Ringing up for help so I'm not doing that. Ok so my s3 has started to Get hot and draining the battery really quickly, when I then charge it up it won't send any text until I've taken the battery and the sim out and restarted the phone. This is exactly what happened to my Old phone last year and it took 6 months of phoning up and call backs ( when they bothered) to get it sorted. Like I said it is now happening with this phone. I know the " help" line will say I will need to send it off but as I'm 8 months pregnant being without a phone is not an opition and don't see why I should have to buy a pay as you go whilst being sent off, I also live 40 minutes away from the nearest Vodafone store , I'm totally losing faith with Vodafone after being a customer for many years. Please please can someone help. I'm dreading going into labour and my phone not working. X
13 REPLIES 13

drey_p
16: Advanced member
Hi there

It could be a battery problem or a fault with the phone itself. You are going to have to send it off for repair I'm afraid. You can call 191 and request a returns pack. If you have Vodafone insurance, you will be entitled to a loan handset whilst yours is being repaired. Alternatively, it may be worth seeing if there is a Samsung repair centre closer to you than a Vodafone store. You can locate your nearest Samsung Repair Centre using the link below

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/servicelocation/

PWIAC

63johnw
17: Community Champion
Hi there. I would try a factory reset first to see if this cures your problem. I would make sure its not set to automatically install all of your apps in case its one of these giving you the problem.

Have you had a look at the battery itself? Is it swollen or bulging at all? If so it could be the battery at fault. Do you know anyone with the same phone whose battery you could try?

Thanks all,will try a reset, the battery looks fine and normal. I had a Sony phone last time and the same thing happened after about a year of having it too. It's like there not meant to last. I can't send it off without having a phone and being heavily pregnant, and last time I spoke to 191 I actually felt like I was hitting my head against a brick wall, as they were just reading from a script and if I went off script they had no idea. Thanks for the replies.

froggerty

I am surprised that you had a reply suggesting you send it for repair, for your immediate purpose that is just passing the buck! Strange that another phone did the same, especially one of a different manufacture. Try another SIM in it if all else fails and see if it gets hot then, you've enough to worry about without anything catching fire or burning a hole in your pocket. Speaking of pockets, in your situation I would buy another phone and bung a PAYG SIM in it and worry about the money later or if you're on contract and can upgrade, do so right away. As for insurance on your phone, which was mentioned, don't bother paying Vodafone insurance, it will be covered under your house insurance anyway. There has been some publicity on the subject of mobiles getting hot or catching alight, this phenomena needs further investigation I think.

thesoupdragon

It sounds like the Phone will need to be repaired at some point. It would be sensible to keep a cheap phone as a backup in case of situations like this, where you must have a Phone at all times.

If you are not happy dealing with Vodafone you can call Samsung directly to arrange a postal repair. (usually a 5 day turnaround)

Ring Samsung Customer Services
Tel: 0330 7267864
Monday - Saturday: 9am - 6pm
Bank Holidays: 10am - 4pm

I have seen this and fixed a couple

what can Happen is a Third party app that is running in the back ground that basicly sends the CPU in a mad over drive hence the heat

this can happen after a update to a app

Also what firmware is on this S3 is it a Branded one ?

if this needs to go in for repair i would recormend the Samsung way

1. its faster

2, you can track this

3. its sent back Fully checked and working

4. you don't have to pay the postage

Some sound advice there. The factory reset or uninstalling the third party apps would be my first line of action and if that didn't work then the Samsung repair option would be the next. Priority is having a working phone, by the time Vodaphone sorts it out your as yet unborn child will be going to university.

hrym

@Kerriisla wrote:
Thanks all,will try a reset, the battery looks fine and normal. I had a Sony phone last time and the same thing happened after about a year of having it too.

Are you by any chance allowing your batteries to go flat?   Overheating can have a variety of causes, but shortened battery life can point to a problem with that specifically.  Lithium batteries have no memory effect and don't need to be exercised like nickel ones.  They also don't like being allowed to go flat and can, in some circumstances, lose their ability to be recharged at all when that happens.  It certainly shortens their life and regular topping-up is actually better for them.

Lithium batteries generally have a charge-cycle life of 500-1000 times (I've seen 1000-2000 quoted, too), but that's based on full charges and top-ups are pro rata.  On that basis, I'd expect a phone that's charged by an average 75% daily to have a battery life of at least two years.

At least with a Samsung, the battery is replaceable, so it's a job you can do yourself without needing to resort to a repair.   Expect to pay £10-£12 for a genuine Samsung-branded.  Anything cheaper will be suspect.

The battery drains really quickly, for example without even using it in 20 minutes in can go down by 20% and if I'm out I can't charge it so yes it does go flat. I have to charge it once a day. I'll look into getting a new battery but it's not the battery that's getting hot it the bit where the SIM card etc are. Thanks for the replies.