Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
sallyreprap

Re: SMS Text messages keep failing, Samsung Galaxy S Plus

Thanks for the advice.

Forcing restart does nothing - still stuck on screen I am guessing is indicating failed connection. Even when not connected to laptop (see attached pic). Also taking battery out does nothing. 

Phone was definitely 100% charged as it won't start the upgrade unless it is. Also I was upgrading over wireless however, the wireless connection did not drop out as far as I am aware. 

Vodafone Uk on twitter suggested another replacement which I have a feeling will do exactly the same thing. 

I could try the upgrade on another laptop however they all run ubuntu and as far as I can see Samsung don't do an ubuntu version of Kies...

Sigh... not a great start to my first smart phone.

Message 21 of 49 (6,637 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
George

Hi sallyreprap,

This sounds more likely to be a problem with the PC you're using. I don't believe there's an ubuntu version of KIES, so attempting this on one of those laptops probably won't work. If you're able to access another windows based PC then it's worth trying it on that.

Kind Regards,

George.

Message 22 of 49 (6,608 Views)
sallyreprap

Hi George,

Thanks for the info. I will see if I can get access to another laptop with Windows on it once I have a replacement handset.

In the mean time, I am still waiting for Vodafone to reply to my email about arranging a replacement as I can't currently do anything with the handset and haven't been able to since I tried the firmware upgrade. I was told 24 hours was the SLA for a response and I have heard nothing - email was sent Sunday evening. I am unprepared to phone the call centre as their service is so poor and it takes up most of my lunch hour so it would be nice for a response to my email. Is there anyway you can chase this up? Ref: WRT135 [#7975805]

Sally

Message 23 of 49 (6,591 Views)
Paulo48

Hi

I'm having problems sending longer texts too. Even short ones fail sometimes. I've tried following the advice and downloaded Kies, but my laptop can't connect to the phone and Kies doesn't connect to it either. Never had this problem connecting a USB device before. Have reinstalled Kies and the driver, but still no luck. Any ideas?! I'm hoping downloading the new firmware will sort the text problem out, but I can't even connect to download it. Help!

Message 24 of 49 (6,487 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi Paulo48,

Are you able to try a different PC?

If not then the next step would be to look at sending the phone off to the repair centre to be update or if you have a Samsung service point near by then they may be able to update this for you.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 25 of 49 (6,473 Views)
matthawley

I have tried to follow your instructions - download the software and get an update. The problem is, it wont allow my phone to connect to the software!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

This is incredibly frustrating as I use my phone for mainly texting - it appears I've been sold a phone that isn't fit for purpose and the software isn't fit for purpose.

I've called customer services and they aren't aware of the problem - they advised to call Samsung direct - they advised it is a Vodaphone issue.

I went in store and they are unaware as well.

How can I get the software to work and then how can I get my phone to do what it is meant to do?

Message 26 of 49 (6,131 Views)
Tech Team
Dave

Hi matthawley,

Don't worry, we'll do everything we can to help.

As well as the suggestions you've received to your other post about firmware here, can you also confirm the version of firmware you currently have installed and the version you're trying to install for me?

Dave

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 27 of 49 (6,091 Views)
matthawley

Hi,

I've been on the Samsung website and downloaded the latest version (not sure which but it was on 16/01/2012). The software downloaded fine to the laptop but won't allow my phone to connect (I'm on a works computer at the mo so can't check the version).

I've emailed the Vodaphone team twice (once a week after buying the phone, and again this Monday) and have not received a reply to either. I asked for a callto go through the issues but no-one has bother ed getting back to me. When I call the customer service number they aren't even aware of a problem and regardless of what i tell them they just advise me to call Samsung direct!?!?!? I don't this is a Samsung issue as Vodafone (mis)sold me the phone that isn't fir for purpose.

I've been in store and was told to wait for the one tech person. i stood there for an hour and still wasn't seen - even though there were several sales people stood round idle!?!?!? Again, it appears Vodafone want the custom so put on 6 sales people, but don't care about their customers so only have one tech person.

I feel i have been sold a phone that is not fit for purpose, deal with incompetant (or at least unaware) customer services, and am still no further to getting this problem sorted - all the while being tied into a 2 year contract.

At the moment I am considering seeing the trading standards and communication Ombudsman as I am getting no where with this whilst gving Vodafone a fortune (they they will no dount evade the tax on).

Message 28 of 49 (6,089 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi there matthawley,

Thanks for your post. I'm sure the firmware upgrade will fix this for you.

Have you seen thesoupdragon's post above (number 20)?

If you follow this advice you should then be able to update your handset.

Cheers,

Lee

Message 29 of 49 (6,068 Views)
ma
ma

Hi Sally

Its not your PC the same thing happened to me it got stuck on 3% , and it got sent away to vodafone repair centre but now its started to turn off when I put my pin number in and it also keeps flikering Im going to cancell my contract and go to another provider that is the only way of getting rid of the annoying phone.

good luck

Message 30 of 49 (5,680 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi ma,

To be honest with this type of issue the first thing to do would be a factory reset.

If this then continues to happen you will need to send this back to the repair centre for the issue to be investigated by one of the repair engineers.

James

Message 31 of 49 (5,686 Views)
ma
ma

Hi To all you suffers and Tech guys who know nothing .

I picked up my phone from the vodafone shop yesterday 8/3/2012 it had been sent off for repair for the second time with the the same problem the you all have and today 9/3/2012 it has gone back for repair because its still not sending text messages, but the man in the shop said it will be changed for a reconditioned phone being its going back for a third time. So now Im getting a secondhand phone thats been refurbished and also he said I still might have the same problem when I get this the next phone. Now I bought a two year contract because of the fantastic NEW phone that was recommened to me. I am looking into cancelling my contract because the phone is not fit for the perpose that the contract states. Oh Im looking at the OFCOM site as well.

Message 32 of 49 (5,546 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi ma,

Thanks for your post.

Please let us know how the replacement works out for you. If it's no better let us know and we'll take a look at your options.

Cheers,

Lee

Message 33 of 49 (5,534 Views)
ma
ma

Hi

Ive been told my options its a refurbished secondhand phone or your buy back which offered me £79 , now I took the contract because of the upgrade phone but now I wished I done what I wanted to do which was keep my number and go to another operator . I am in contact with consumers rights and awaiting their reply. I will not be loyal to anyone who treats their customers like cr.p and I have also done a reveiw on the phone telling everyone to steer clear of the handset.

Message 34 of 49 (5,525 Views)
Tech Team
Dave

Hi ma,

As Lee mentioned, we'd like to take a look at the account so we can get the full history of everything here and see if we can help further, so I'm going to send you a PM.

You can find your PM inbox here. If you can't access this link, please ensure that the box next to "Turn on private messages" is ticked on this page, and let us know if you need any further assistance.

Dave

Message 35 of 49 (5,501 Views)
allica

I have had this problem for six months now...I am so relieved to hear it is not just me!

I have been dealing with the call centre throughout the six months and had constant stress and problems along the way.

I have had a brand new phone as like others on here I was not accepting a reconditioned phone when it has NEVER worked....I have since had a repair that they charged me £200 as they said the phone had a cracked screen?!!! They have thankfully now refunded this. I have also had another new phone, two new sim cards....Nothing works...No updates, no repairs, nothing!

Finally a really nice member of staff has taken over my case and she has said I have to have another repair and then they will give me a different type of phone. I'm not really happy because for six months of constant calls to sort this out I have recieved nothing....I am now being offered a different phone to my phones CURRENT six month value, the member of staff is trying to help me get this increased but I am just so disapointed...Can anyone advise what they managed to do with their phones?! The best solution for me would be to have the whole contract cancelled and not be charged, and they can have this absolutely rubbish phone back but this is not possible. :-( I am really running out of patience!!

Message 36 of 49 (5,447 Views)
jeannie_diva

I have had this problem since I upgraded to this phone in December, I have had it repaird and replaced and the same problem persists. I have now loaded a free text app which works every time no matter how big the text, however I am tied to a 24 month contract which includes (??) unlimited texts, I resent paying for a service I am not receiving!  Today I was told by Vodafone service chat that my best option would be to use the Vodafone buy back service - for my phone I would get approx £90!! How is this fair? In order to have a phone that is of the spec that I require I will have to spend more money despite the fault being in the phone not me. I am extremely dissatisfied!!!

Message 37 of 49 (5,200 Views)
Tech Team
Simon

Hi jeannie_diva

Thanks for your post. We'll need access to your account to review the repair notes and take a look at all of the options available to you, so I've sent a private message with details of how to contact us directly.

You can find your PM inbox here. If you can't access this link, please ensure that the box next to "Turn on private messages" is ticked on this page, and let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks

Simon

Message 38 of 49 (5,167 Views)
jeannie_diva

Apparently I do not have sufficient privileges for this action.

Message 39 of 49 (5,162 Views)
Tech Team
Simon

Hi jeannie_diva

Thanks for notifying us. We've updated your profile so you should now have access your PM's. I've resent the PM also just to be sure that it's received.

Thanks

Simon

Message 40 of 49 (5,152 Views)