Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
aboogywoogy

SMS Text messages keep failing, Samsung Galaxy S Plus

I got my samsung galaxy s plus earlier this week, and I keep having problems where text messages fail to send even after trying the resend option over and over again. These can be part of a conversation I've been having very recently, or can be sent as I am having text conversations with other people that send okay, so I know it isn't a problem with signal. My friend used to work for Carphone Warehouse and tried a couple of fixes for me - copying the text into a new message worked okay one time, as did resetting the phone by taking the battery out whilst it was still on (it's a fix apparently...) and this worked okay one time, but it doesn't work every time. I had a problem last night where the message kept failing, so after the reset wouldn't work I gave up and tried again this morning and it got through - it turned out my friend actually got half of the message 8 times. I've had a look online to see if it's a common problem, but it doesn't appear to be. If anyone could help that would be really great, as I'm really pleased with the phone otherwise. Thanks.

Message 1 of 49 (51,778 Views)
aboogywoogy

Re: SMS Text messages keep failing, Samsung Galaxy S Plus

I've just done some more testing (everyone will think I'm so chatty today!) and it seems that the problem is that it fails when I send anything over a single message long - is there anything I can do to fix it so I can sent longer ones?

Message 2 of 49 (51,766 Views)
DrBike

I'm having exactly the same problem - same device too. I'd say that at the moment half my texts are failing. Even short ones are failing as I've given up typing long texts since the likliehood of failure is so high.
Message 3 of 49 (51,748 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hey guys,

We are aware of this issue with customers being unable to send long texts on the Samsung Galaxy S Plus and is currently under investigation by our devices team.

We will be updating this thread once we have any further information.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 4 of 49 (51,698 Views)
Shahir

I have the same problem but as far as i can remember this wasnot the case when i first got the phone, any help?

Message 5 of 49 (51,591 Views)
seanratcliff

hi guys same problem here except mine is also failing when i try to send short sms messages aswell as long !!! only had the phone since thursday so i think its going back ? unless theres a quick fix :mansad:

Message 6 of 49 (51,569 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hey Guys,

We are currently still investigating this for you however so we can check everything with you please can you check your software versions by dialling *#1234# and let me know if you are running iI9001BUKP2 then you are on the latest version of software however if you are on I9001BUKG1 then I would recommend trying to update your device to see if this resolves the issue.

Also please can you check your message settings to make sure that the message centre number is displayed as +447785016005

If you can let me know we will be able to add your details to the list.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 7 of 49 (51,535 Views)
jimsuter

I am experiencing the same problem on my Galaxy S Plus. I have software version i9001BUKG1. How do I update it? When I go to software updates it says there aren't any updates available.

Message 8 of 49 (51,493 Views)
sjm027

Hi, I have the same issue.  The advice to upgrade the software to iI9001BUKP2 is not possible, as my software update tells me that there is no update available.

Please either provide a software update, or let us know how I can update my Vodafone account to send texts over 160 Chars.  Having read this in several places it seems to be a specific Vodafone issue and not an issue with the samsung Galaxy, so asking us to upgrade our firmware would seem rather futile.

Regards,

Stuart Menzies

Message 9 of 49 (51,436 Views)
Mwic

Hi

I also have the same issue.  It is very frustrating and also inconvenient when I am trying to maintain regular contact with staff when I am out of the office.

I checked which version of the software I have and it is the old version iI9001BUKG1 but it is not clear how to upgrade to the new version. Please could the Tech Team advise? 

I'm sure we would all like to get this resolved as soon as possible, especially as texting is a fundamental function.

Kind regards

Mich

Message 10 of 49 (51,420 Views)
jimsuter

Come on Vodafone, please get this sorted. It does appear to be a problem your end. This is becoming a real pain in the a**e

Message 11 of 49 (51,413 Views)
sallyreprap

I am having the same problem and it is extremely frustrating that the staff in the call centre are not aware of the problem. I made 4 phone calls regarding this issue and not once has anyone mentioned that you are aware of the problem. It was only when I decided to look online after the call centre were unable to resolve the problem that I found this.

This really needs to be sorted ASAP. I need to be in contact with my colleagues by text when I am not in the workshop - without this facility, the business is not running efficiently and therefore I am loosing money. Will Vodafone be compensating all the Samsung Galaxy S Plus customers who have not had use of the services that they pay for? If not then I am likely to be cancelling my new contract, returning the phone and going back to O2.

Sally

Message 12 of 49 (51,382 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi Guys,

I can understand how frustrating this must be for you however, I and the rest of the eForum Team are trying to get a resolution for you.

If you are still running the older version of firmware then please uninstall kies from your PC and reinstall the latest version from the Samsung website.

Once done please try to update the phone to the new software and let us know how you get on.

James

Message 13 of 49 (51,373 Views)
aboogywoogy

Thanks for the info James. Turns out I have an older version. Could you go into a little more detail for me? I'm not really a technical expert so I only know that Kies wasn't a typo because I googled it, and then I am still not too sure what it means. How do I uninstall this and then reinstall? Is it self-explanatory if I plug my phone into my PC?

Message 14 of 49 (51,353 Views)
DrBike

I think that I've fixed the problem on my phone.

Following the instructions from this forum I downloaded and installed Kies on my laptop then used that to upgrade to the latest firmware on my phone.  I'm now on Firmware Version 2..3.5

I've not had a failed sms yet - which is quite something for this device.

Message 15 of 49 (51,323 Views)
paulashworth

Hi Guys. Had the same problem, and found that if you switch from 3G network to 2G (Settings, wireless and network, mobile networks, network mode, select GSM only), texting seems to work every time. Very odd but seems to be a 3G problem. Fairly easy to fix but a bit of a pain.
Message 16 of 49 (51,315 Views)
jimsuter

I did as advised, downlaoded Kies and updated the firmware. Bingo now able to send long text messages. The firmware upgrade seems to be the anser.

Message 17 of 49 (51,310 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the updates here, I’m pleased to see that the firmware update has resolved the issue for you.

James

If you have any comments on how I have handled your query today, please complete our short feedback survey.

Message 18 of 49 (51,221 Views)
sallyreprap

Having read the information here I downloaded the latest software, plugged in the phone and started the firmware upgrade. It go to 3%. I then left it over night and when I came back to it still 3%. Rang Vodafone and they replaced the phone. First thing I have done with the replacement phone is plug it in to the computer to do an upgrade. So again it has got 3% and it is stuck. Unable to turn phone on or use it etc - any ideas? 

Sally

Message 19 of 49 (51,037 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
thesoupdragon

[ Edited ]

Kudos Bar2.jpg

Hi sallyreprap

You may need to disable your Firewall, or give Kies Permission.

Also are you using a wireless connection? If the signal is not strong it may drop out. You could connect using a Ethernet Cable (Router to PC).

Make sure the Phone is Charged to 100%

To restart phone... Press Power button for 10 seconds, to reboot the Phone.

Wink.gif

Autism_sig.png

Message 20 of 49 (51,016 Views)