cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsuing Galaxy S - Can anyone recommend a VPN for Android?

very_teknical
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member
Ok so I was watching the tele today and noticed an ad from BT informing all its broadband customers that they have free WIFI access nationwide and abroad
Great I thought. Not quite sure why I never knew about this before or why they needed to tell us all about it with a TV add, but there you go.

So anyway I went to the Market and downloaded the BT android app.
It works great. Basically I now have access to pretty much every BT home hub in the country + abroad, via their FON network and all their open zone points.
The app seamlessly switches from one access point to another. Tested it today in the car with the google maps navigation and it worked really well (Although I was in London and literally surrounded by access points)

Anyway, one of the things BT also offers in conjunction with this service is a free VPN from Cisco in order to provide encryption when connected to these un secured wifi access points.
They provide a version for Windows, Mac, and iphone, but none for Android.

I've managed to find one in the market called EvoVPN which works ok. But I'm not sure whether to trust it or not. Their web site seems a bit sketchy.
Does anyone have any experience with this app??
or recommend a good reliable/reputable VPN??

cheers

vt
11 REPLIES 11

ado28
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
I'm a Virgin man :wub: does that make any difference?

For hints, tips and flashing guides, visit my youtube page www.youtube.com/puggereduk

mattb123
4: Newbie
I didn't know this either. I'll look into it after work and see what I can find.

Thanks!

I have been using Samsung Glaxy S. I experienced both ExpressVPN and IPVanish on this android device. Both are excellent in terms of speed features. Though expessvpn has better customer support but both are correctly leading the VPN industry and are best choice for any android device. You would like to follow ExpressVPN Review and IPVanish Review to get more about them related with Android includng the latest updates in their softwares.

dnairb001
13: Advanced Member

I'm a Virgin man :wub: does that make any difference?

I believe to make use of this facility you need to configure the BT Fon app with your email address and password from your BT broadband service , though I could be wrong.

I currently have the app installed and working on all 5 of the android phones on my contracts and none have had an issue yet. Not sure if there is a limit to the number of logged in users at any one time per account.

lordgoata
4: Newbie

Does anyone have any experience with this app??
or recommend a good reliable/reputable VPN??

Never used it myself, but there is also OpenVPN knocking around somewhere. I think part of the problem is the standard kernels don't support the Cisco VPN system, they need compiling with the tun.ko module if I recall. If you have a custom kernel with tun.ko I think OpenVPN works with Cisco routers.

I haven't looked into it or tried to be honest, its just stuff I vaguely remember reading on XDA, so might be worth a look on there for more info/advice.

Sorry to not be more help!

sallycroft
1: Seeker

PureVPN is good for Android. Been with them for 3 years. No issues. Great servers. 5 Multi logins. Best for streaming live channels

http://www.purevpn.com/vpn-service/android-vpn.php

Jamesvang86
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I believe that there is not a single VPN software which work best for all vpn users because everyone has it's own personal needs. So i can recommend you a list of VPN providers for android through which you can choose best according to your requirement. 
http://www.vpnranks.com/android-vpn/

elizabetholsen
1: Seeker

Hi, friend the i am also having problem will using my android and somebody recommend me to go and use best vpn for android which is will scure you phone from trouble shoot and and i used it that exprience of their software was awesome.

I don't have much experience using VPNs on Android, but I read/saw that you're able to set it up through Android's settings app. I also came across an app that does the same thing. In my case, I'd be using the Express vpn app. Anything you can control is better than the native. Anroid's native bit still knows the access/ip..etc. It stores and could have that data pulled.

With a secondary app, it may still be sent but you can have more access to what data is being sent, might still want to tunnel and check location/IP.

Best option, IMO, would be the secondary app and looking up reviews and experiences online of apps.