You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
sugarfix
Accepted Solution

Samsung Galaxy Ace - Can't connect to Vodafone

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

we've got 2 Samsung Galaxy Ace phones (GT-S5839i) and we're unable to get them to connect to the vodafone network.  They're both from Vodafone and I've tried numerous diffrent solutions but none have been successful.

The summary is as follows:

• I've used my SIM which works fine in my Galaxy Nexus.
  • On the Galaxy Ace, I have a message saying "Emergency calls only"
  • I've tried manually selecting a different provider then selecting Vodafone and I get the message "Your SIM card does not allow a connection to this network" even though it does in my Galaxy Nexus.
  • Data is working as if I do a factory reset, it allows me to log into my Google account and it offers me Vodafove app updates.
  • I've updated the firmware using Samsung KIES software.

At this point I WOULD give up and return the phone to Vodafoe saying it's faulty, except we've got 2 phones doing the exact same thing.

There must be something that I need to do or a setting which needs tweaking, but I just can't find it.  I'd appreciate any assistance you can offer although please be prepared for me to repeatedly reply with "I've already tried that"!

Many thanks.

Message 1 of 20 (6,740 Views)
Rank 37: Professor I
hrym

Re: Samsung Galaxy Ace - Can't connect to Vodafone

This is just plain weird!.  One question: is this happening with one or two SIMs?  If it's only one, I'd suggest getting a replacement, just to rule that out, even though it works in another phone.

It might also be worth cleaning the contacts on the SIM (just wipe them with a soft cloth).   I found that my S2 needed that and Samsungs do seem to be a bit sensitive in that area.

Normally, it's only PAYG phones that are network-locked, though that's how the Aces are behaving (even though you're using a Vodafone SIM in a Vodafone handset.)

Has this been happening from new?  If so, the next thing to try would be to exchange them.   Two identically faulty phones is extremely unlikely, but it's possible there was a faulty batch, I suppose.

Message 2 of 20 (6,728 Views)
sugarfix

Cheers for the reply.

I have tried it with multiple SIMs.  I just reverted back to using my own because I knew it was working OK (incidentally, I used the SIM that was supplied with the phone in mine and that worked fine too).

As for your "from new" question, yes, these are new (at least new from us, hence the reason I upgraded and factory reset, just in case).

I've been trying some more things:  If I select GMS ONLY as the band, I get a "no network" message and no data, but as soon as I switch back to Auto I get data back again and the message switches back to "Emergency calls only".

It's very strange, but I can replicate the same errors on the 2 phones side by side with different SIMs, take the SIMs out and put them into other phones and they both work fine.

Message 3 of 20 (6,723 Views)
Rank 41: Professor V
thesoupdragon

Can you type into the dialer *#1234#
This will show the Firmware information.

Are the phones actually New or bought reconditioned from a private seller?

Ive seen something similar where someone bought a phone from ebay that had foreign firmware on it so the phone wouldn't connect in this country.

When you factory reset the phone asks you to select the contract type...
Vodafone UK = monthly contract
Vodafone Prepay = PAYG

It's worth checking you selected the correct type by Factory resetting again. ;-)

Banner.png

Message 4 of 20 (6,720 Views)
hrym

thesoupdragon wrote:
Ive seen something similar where someone bought a phone from ebay that had foreign firmware on it so the phone wouldn't connect in this country.

I think you're on to something there.  The OP implies that the phones are new "from Vodafone" in the original post, but is then equivocal.

I think we may have had a similar query here before that resolved itself as non-UK firmware.  The fact that 2 hadsets are behaving the same is weird otherwise.

Message 5 of 20 (6,716 Views)
sugarfix

They are "New" from Vodafone, yes.  It's a corporate Vodafone Business contract they're on.

the firmware results are as follows:

PDA: S5839iBULL1

Phone: S5839iBULK1

CSC: S5839iVODLE1

Message 6 of 20 (6,713 Views)
thesoupdragon

Thanks... the firmware is correct.

Can I assume you have activated the SIM cards online or in a Vodafone Store...?

Banner.png

Message 7 of 20 (6,710 Views)
sugarfix

the SIM is from my own Galaxy Nexus and works perfectly in that.  In the Galaxy ACE, I get data but no voice.

Message 8 of 20 (6,703 Views)
hrym

This is utterly weird.  How long have you had them?  I do really think that they need to go back to Vodafone.  I'm also slightly confused by the SIM issue - if they're on contract, did they not come with SIMs?  Though I can't see why that would make a difference and a Vodafone SIM should work in any handset.  Also, the fact that you're getting data (I assume over the vf network and not wifi?) suggests that something's working.

Message 9 of 20 (6,699 Views)
thesoupdragon

TBH I agree, send them back, before your return period ends!

Shouldn't be this hard... :-D

Banner.png

Message 10 of 20 (6,697 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Dave

Hi sugarfix,

You've done most of the initial checks we'd suggest already.

As mentioned, you have seven working days in which you can return or swap the handset. It does seem strange that it's affecting both like that, though.

If you pop into your nearest Vodafone Store, they'll be able to try a new SIM to test, just in case there's an issue with the current ones connecting with these phones. Much like the phones, two with issues is unlikely but it's worth double-checking.

When the data works, can you confirm if you're logged into Wi-Fi? It's also unusual for5 data to work but nothing else.

Dave

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 11 of 20 (6,689 Views)
sugarfix

Many thanks to everyone for your help on this today.

I can confirm that I'm definitely NOT on WiFi and it is picking data up from the Vodafone network.  If I swip down from the top I can turn data off which stops access, turn it back on again and I can Google to me hearts content.

As for the 7 day period, that may be more trickey.  The phones were sent to the building here and were lost.  They turned up 2 weeks ago but had been sat on someones desk for probably the best part of 6 months!

We'll see what we can do.  As I said it's a corporate account so the likelyhood is that we'll just request 2 new ones,

Again, thanks everyone for your assistance.

Message 12 of 20 (6,682 Views)
Tech Team
Sukhi

Hi sugarfix

Thanks for getting back to us.

As you have a corporate account I'd recommend you contact your Account Manager, they'll be able to get this sorted out for you quickly.

Thanks

Sukhi

Message 13 of 20 (6,674 Views)
hrym

And, just for the sake of our own sanity, will the OP please come back and tell us what the problem was?!

Message 14 of 20 (6,592 Views)
sugarfix

Just a thought and I'm not sure it this is something a VF person can answer.

As these phones were sat around for some time, assumed lost, but then appeared on someones desk, is there a possibility that something has been done to lock the phones from the voice network based on the IMEI?

I'm clutching at straws, I realise.  But it seemed like a possibility,

Cheers.

Message 15 of 20 (6,555 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Andy

Hi sugarfix,

We wouldn’t be able to answer that one without looking at your account. I can see that you’ve previously mentioned that you have a corporate account so I’d recommend you contact your Account Manager who will be able to provide you with more help.

Thanks

Andrew

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 16 of 20 (6,549 Views)
sugarfix

Well, for the sake of everyone's sanity, including mine, I'm happy to say that this has now been resolved!

It was in fact that the IMEI had been blacklisted.  Out procurement department had infomed VF that they had been lost and so they blocked them.

I've supplied them the IMEI numbers and we've had the blacklist removed and they are now both connected successfully.

Many thanks again to everyone for your assistance and suggestions.

Message 17 of 20 (6,541 Views)
dumara

where do i get IMEI number because i have a similar problem
Message 18 of 20 (4,945 Views)
hrym

The easiest place to look is on your Google dashboard, where it lists the devices that have registered with your account.

Message 19 of 20 (4,917 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi dumara,

You can also get your IMEI number from the sticker in the back of the phone or by calling *#06#

James

Message 20 of 20 (4,886 Views)