You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest

Samsung Galaxy Ace turning itself off

Hi

Took delivery of my Samsung Galaxy Ace about 3 weeks ago and its annoying me so much. Every day, sometimes more than once, it switches itself off. Totally unresponsive to any key presses and I have to take the battery out and put it back in again before it'll switch back on. In addition, its started losing its Wifi connection today and although its set to sync automatically, it doesn't.

Contacted Vodafone who are issuing a replacement but looking around on the internet, I'm not the only person having this problem with the Galaxy Ace and therefore a replacement isn't going to solve my problem. Seems to be a major problem with the Galaxy Ace and is connected to using Wifi.

Anyone else having the same problem and has anyone found a workaround?   

Message 1 of 22 (10,025 Views)
thesoupdragon
Topics: 138
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 12
Solutions: 199

Re: Samsung Galaxy Ace turning itself off

Hi Mrsschoie

Welcome to the eForum

What version of Android do you have on the phone?

Goto Menu > settings > about phone.

what are the last 4 entries at the bottom?

Firmware Version?

Baseband Version?

Kernel Version?

Build Number?

Have you recently updated the firmware using Samsung Kies?

TSD

Hmmm.gif

Crimbo_Banner_TPJ.gif

Message 2 of 22 (10,023 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III

I have had this i repair Firmware for my local mobile phone shop the problem is the firmware it is the same as what started to plague its bigger Brother.

If you cheque the firmware if its 2.3.3 then thats the problem my son has this phone still on 2.2 froyo and he has no problems, so i roll back the handsets i get  back to 2.2 froyo and there fine 

But as you said this does effect all the devices on all networks as fare as i no tho Vodafone has not realesed this as a update tho 

So can you tell me what firmware is on and were the phone came from ????

Message 3 of 22 (10,019 Views)

Android version: 2.2.1

Baseband version: S5830XXKA6

Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-perf root @DELL106#1

Build number: FROYO.BUKC2

I have tried to update it via KIES but it said I had the most up to date version. 

Message 4 of 22 (10,017 Views)

Got the phone through Vodafone upgrade. 

Message 5 of 22 (10,015 Views)

It should'nt be doing this on 2.2.1 unless a app is doing this have you done a Factory reset (back your contacts up first) i??? 

Message 6 of 22 (10,010 Views)

Yes tried that but it didn't stop it happening :smileysad:

Message 7 of 22 (10,006 Views)

Then it sounds like the phone i'd get it back to them shapish and make sure you enclose a description of the fault but if its with in the first 30 days they have to replace the unit. Ring customer service and don't accept a repair first of then they will offer you a replacement but they only do this with in the first mounth of purchase

Message 8 of 22 (9,996 Views)

Hi All, I have been having the same problem with Samsung Ace, but after phoning Vodafone, they tell me that they are

NOT AWARE of this issue.

They are refusing to listen to my concerns and are just suggesting that I just send in the phone. I spoke to two people who were both in denial about this issue that is very widely publicised online.

HOW UNBELIEVABLE!!

I have never had any issues with vodafone for the decade that I have been with them. But I have now decided to take my phone and my contract back to the shop where I got this phone and just take my business elsewhere.

Everyone knows this is a manufacturer fault and they should be more helpful for selling you something that is faulty.

Message 9 of 22 (9,555 Views)
DaveCD
Topics: 74
Solutions: 87

Hi mikeo446

Thank you for your post and welcome to the eForum.

I am sorry to learn you feel this way; we are only made aware of it when people inform us, and on here we have two examples, once we reach 10 we can escalate this and raise a case for investigation.

If you are reading this and experiencing the same issues please let us know.

It would be an awful shame to lose you as a customer after 10 years, to be with us that long means we must have been doing something right.

If you have taken the handset back and would like one of our excellent online sales team members to give you a call and discuss your options please reply to the email I have just sent to your address.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

Message 10 of 22 (9,517 Views)

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply. I did not get an email from you regarding this issue.

Yesterday, my phone switched itself off three times. What is the point of having a phone when you can't use it?

And I really can't believe that none of the many members complaining about this issue phoned Vodafone.

I haven't taken the phone back, yet. I need to contact the manufacturer to find out their policy on faulty products. From research, I understand their policy is one of replacement. I need to confirm this before I go and confront Vodafone about their blatant lack of assistance with such a major issue on a new phone.

If you send me an email with contact details of someone who can help me resolve this issue, I would be very grateful.

Message 11 of 22 (9,498 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi mikeo446

I have just sent you another email, please have a check in the spam folder as these can be classed as spam

Thanks

Martin

Message 12 of 22 (9,494 Views)

Hi there --

I have this same issue with the Galaxy Ace and have been told to sent it in to be evaluated, that this will take 2 weeks. I have not yet done so as (surprisingly!) I haven't found a time when I can be without my phone for two weeks.

Message 13 of 22 (9,340 Views)

Hi had 2 of these phones now for about a month 1 was replaced within a week and still there is a problem with the 2 of these phones randomly switching themselves off whether your in the middle of a phone call reading a message or  the phone  being in idle mode that's 3 phones which I have received have the same problem  restored them all to factory settings and all up to date with the Samsung kies updates and still the same spent a bit of time on the phone to vodafone whom said they have not had many problems with these phones but obviously from what I see here and on other forums there is and they need to do something about it IM still awaiting a reply off vodafone as I am considering taking my custom elsewhere to which I have been a long term customer.

Message 14 of 22 (9,324 Views)

Hi DaveCD,

As requested in your response of 30/10/2011 I am, and have been for some time now, having the same problem as the other users of the Samsung Galaxy Ace with the phone randomly switching itself off.  I came across this forum while searching on the internet to see if this was a common problem with the phone and it would appear from the search results and this forum that it most definitely is.  Can you please advise if this issue has been looked into further and if so has a fix been identified?

Thanks

Message 15 of 22 (8,987 Views)
Wayne
Topics: 58
Solutions: 153

Hi gmac and welcome to the eForum

We’ll be happy to raise this to our devices team as soon as we have 10 examples of the same issue.

We also need the firmware you are using so please post this.

Thanks

Wayne

Message 16 of 22 (8,975 Views)

I have had my galaxy ace for 5 months now but in the last month it has developed the same fault ie switching off when it feels like it. This is particularly annoying as i use my phone as my alarm clock, twice now it has switched off during the night causing me to oversleep. Is it possible to have the phone replaced.
Message 17 of 22 (8,952 Views)

I am experiencing a similar problem with my Samsung Monte touch. Am about to add a new post!

Message 18 of 22 (8,943 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi burnsandi

Have you sent the phone away for repair as I know this has been fixed in our repair centre?

This is what I would recommend and you can see all of the information around repair from our FAQ page.

@ frizz - I would recommend the same if you follow the above I am sure that this will help.

Thanks

Martin

Message 19 of 22 (8,924 Views)

Hi Martin
thanks for reply, do i just take it to my local Vodafone store to arrange repair and will they supply a loan one whilst mine is away
Message 20 of 22 (8,919 Views)
Nexus 6

Nexus 6

More space to explore

Buy now