Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 21: Instructor V
ado28

Samsung Galaxy - Debrand/Update?

Mine is under 1000, how is it possible to have a score of half yours using the same phone? Also does it really matter?

Download OCLF from the market ;) phone will need to be rooted for it to work B-)

For hints, tips and flashing guides, visit my youtube page www.youtube.com/puggereduk
Message 21 of 27 (3,470 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
lordgoata

Yeah, but the lag fix was mentioned earlier, I just know that with root only that score averaged out at 980 (3 runs) and then with lag fix went up to 1780, possible reason for score less than 1000.

It wasn't ncw2904 that said it was was under 1000, it was mrfish123

Also, it would appear that it might not be RFS causing all of the lag problems. They finally have CyanogenMod running in alpha state on the I9000. For those that don't know, CyanogenMod is a pure AOSP release of Android (plus some tweaks and additions from the open source community), without all the bells and whistles added by the manufacturers, so no HTC Sense, no Motoroloa Motoblur, no Samsung TouchWiz etc.

The results of the alpha are quite interesting:

Quadrant JPO / RFS: 952
CPU: 1326
Memory: 1622
I/O: 625
2D: 295
3D: 590

Quadrant CyanogenMod / RFS: 1671
CPU: 4697
Memory: 1765
I/O: 663
2D: 312
3D: 918

From reading the forums, it would appear that Froyo only supports one SD-Card, so Samsung had to rework a lot of the Android framework to get it to support the internal and external SD Cards (one possible reason for the delay!). Considering the Froyo update on most phones has brought with it a reasonable speed increase, which doesn't seem to be the case with Froyo on the SGS, it looks like with all of Samsungs tinkering, the benefits of Froyo are not exactly being exploited by the SGS. Combine that with the initial results of the CyanogenMod port of the raw Froyo files, that seems very plausible. Quite frankly once we have a AOSP Froyo running on the SGS with a decent filesystem, this thing should be absolutely stunning.

Interesting times ahead!

CM6 on SGS (XDA-Dev)
Message 22 of 27 (3,470 Views)
Rank 17: Instructor I
very_teknical

Also, it would appear that it might not be RFS causing all of the lag problems. They finally have CyanogenMod running in alpha state on the I9000. For those that don't know, CyanogenMod is a pure AOSP release of Android (plus some tweaks and additions from the open source community), without all the bells and whistles added by the manufacturers, so no HTC Sense, no Motoroloa Motoblur, no Samsung TouchWiz etc.

The results of the alpha are quite interesting:

Quadrant JPO / RFS: 952
CPU: 1326
Memory: 1622
I/O: 625
2D: 295
3D: 590

Quadrant CyanogenMod / RFS: 1671
CPU: 4697
Memory: 1765
I/O: 663
2D: 312
3D: 918

From reading the forums, it would appear that Froyo only supports one SD-Card, so Samsung had to rework a lot of the Android framework to get it to support the internal and external SD Cards (one possible reason for the delay!). Considering the Froyo update on most phones has brought with it a reasonable speed increase, which doesn't seem to be the case with Froyo on the SGS, it looks like with all of Samsungs tinkering, the benefits of Froyo are not exactly being exploited by the SGS. Combine that with the initial results of the CyanogenMod port of the raw Froyo files, that seems very plausible. Quite frankly once we have a AOSP Froyo running on the SGS with a decent filesystem, this thing should be absolutely stunning.

Interesting times ahead!

CM6 on SGS (XDA-Dev)

Wow, thanks for the heads up!

Like you have written, this would explain a lot.

Can't wait to see what develops
Message 23 of 27 (3,470 Views)
Rank 14: Guide III
jimc130

Ooops, I need to learn to be more observant!!

SGS I9000
Rom : CyanogenMod 9 nightlies

Message 24 of 27 (3,470 Views)
lordgoata

Wow, thanks for the heads up!

Like you have written, this would explain a lot.

Can't wait to see what develops

CyanogenMod 6.1 alpha with ext4:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=9182284&postcount=794

Yikes!
Message 25 of 27 (3,470 Views)
Rank 17: Instructor I
very_teknical

CyanogenMod 6.1 alpha with ext4:

http://forum.xda-dev...4&postcount=794

Yikes!

Yes, very impressive indeed!

I've noticed from the first post of the thread that they now have pretty much all the main things working.

- 3D is working
- Sound is working
- Sensors are working
- Radio is working fully now
- Wifi is working
- Camera is working

and that they're looking to a public beta release on the 19th November.
Considering they started the thread on the 8th Oct, I'm very impressed. They certainly put Samsung to shame.

I can't wait to try it out. If its as good as it looks, I'll certainly be giving them donation.

I wonder how this project will be affected by Gingerbread, which is rumoured to be released this coming week...
Message 26 of 27 (3,470 Views)
lordgoata

Considering they started the thread on the 8th Oct, I'm very impressed.

Yeah they are making great progress, its good to see someone pick up the baton for the I9000, I used to run CyanogenMod on my HTC Magic and it was like a new phone - looks like the same might be true here as well.

They certainly put Samsung to shame.

That won't be hard! Apparently the Samsung DRM services have been narrowed down to quite a battery hog on one of the other forums (Epic 4G I think it was), so with them gone, the battery life should also improve with CyanogenMod too

I can't wait to try it out. If its as good as it looks, I'll certainly be giving them donation.

Likewise, and if its as good as CM was on my Magic, it won't disappoint!

I wonder how this project will be affected by Gingerbread, which is rumoured to be released this coming week...

CyanogenMod 7 will be Gingerbread, so once the main work is done on getting AOSP running on the SGS, porting Gingerbread should be fairly straightforward. One of the main tasks is to remove reliability on the Samsung binaries, I think one of the guys said once its stable they will start working on reimplementing the remaining Samsung files.

Also, the Nexus S is supposed to be model I9020 - which doesn't sound a million miles from the I9000 to me - and if Gingerbread is running natively on that, I suspect the vast majority of it will run untouched on the I9000 as well.
Message 27 of 27 (3,470 Views)