Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
ryancantfly

Samsung Galaxy S - 3G not working

Hi everyone,

I recently switched my handset, as my last one had a problem with a firmware update. I tried using my 3G for the first time the other day (as I've been at home using wireless) and I can't get it to work anywhere. I'm wondering if there's a setting I need to change on the phone, whether there's a problem with the 3G network at the moment, or if Vodafone need to txt me some settings?

Ryan
Message 1 of 27 (12,565 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
thesoupdragon

I found these settings for you to compare...

Hope this is helpful... :blush:

Autism_sig.png

Message 2 of 27 (12,565 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

It might not be the phone but check that your phone is set up settings-Wireless and network-Mobile networks make sure it is set to Auto GSM/WCDMA if it is and still no 3G then its Vodafones problem as there transmitter is on the frits i have a problem here making calls they sound like dalics. Ring 191 and ask them to trans fer you to network support NOT technical unless it is the UK one

Message 3 of 27 (12,565 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
George

Hi Ryan,

I can imagine this issue must be rather frustrating, I'm confident that a solution can be found though :).

Does this issue just happen in one location, or does it happen everywhere? If it happens everywhere then it's highly unlikely to be a network issue, as such I'd recommend giving Northern.dj's suggestion of checking the network settings a go.

If it does just happen in the one location, can you confirm that this is the postcode in your profile? If so, then it's likely to be because there's currently an issue with the serving 3G mast (site 8238, reference 2121778). The site isn't completely down, however one of the cells is running on reduced power which is causing dropped calls and loss of 3G signal. I don't have a timescale for resolution, however our engineers are working on it so I'm confident it'll be fixed soon :).

George
eForum Team
Message 4 of 27 (12,565 Views)
Northern-dj

I have reported my problems and i am waiting for a call from your networking team the 3G signal is up and down and taking to people is almost impossible they can not understand me and i can not here them properly it sounds like darlicks GSM is fine full signal but what annoyed me is you need ten people to complain before you do anything
My postcode is in my profile i live in a 3g hotspot i even get a H showing sometimes. also people get a sorry we can not connect you when they ring up

Message 5 of 27 (12,565 Views)
ryancantfly

My post code is SO19

I checked the settings and they're correct. I have only tried using my 3G locally
Message 6 of 27 (12,565 Views)
Northern-dj

Come on Vodafone why is the 3G signal so naff why do people sound like darliks and no its not the phone i've just tried it in Wakefield only 3 bars but all was clear so what is going on

Message 7 of 27 (12,565 Views)
Tech Team
James

Heya Guys,

I have had a look at both the areas mentioned and have found the following;

Northern.dj,

You are in an erea of very good 3G coverage, you local site does look ok however there is a few set up failures for the GPRS connection, as you have raised this already one of our network guys will be able to look deeper than we can see into this for you.

Ryan Stanikk,

Your local postcode area is a little different as you live in a generally good area however, you post code in your profile shows that it is located in a semi black spot where the signal for 3G is weaker than the surrounding areas.

Due to an issue with one site 8238 in the area, it is putting strain on the other site 3072 in the area which would be why you are getting 3G issues.

At present we don't have an ETA on a fix on that site however, work will be completed as quick as possible.

James
eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 8 of 27 (12,565 Views)
Northern-dj

Ha James ya wrong again!!!!!!
i have just got off the phone with executive department, and he saw what the problem was in 30 seconds, i'm picking up my 3g from Dewsbury site which is miles away the transmitters near me are all GSM transmitters my 3g is variable if any your map is wrong on your website two transmitters are being put up in the next six mouths now why did you not tell me that he even pointed me to ofcoms website that tells me what a transmitter is

Wrong again Eforum

Message 9 of 27 (12,565 Views)
duckncover

I am having issues with no data or internet connection in the GU9 and GU1 areas where I work and where I live. Can you confirm that my issues are caused by this signal problem?

Previous to around 7 days ago this was not a problem.

I have done a hardware reset and my APN settings are as follows:

Name: Vodafone UK
APN: wap.vodafone.co.uk
Proxy: 212.183.137.12
Port: 8799
User name: wap
Password: *** (my guess is wap as it was working but please confirm that 'wap' is correct)
Server: Not Set
MMSC: http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms
MMS: 212.183.137.12
MMS port: 8799
MCC: 234
MNC: 15
Authentication type: PAP
APN type: internet + mms
Message 10 of 27 (12,565 Views)
Rank 17: Instructor I
very_teknical

I am having issues with no data or internet connection in the GU9 and GU1 areas where I work and where I live. Can you confirm that my issues are caused by this signal problem?

Previous to around 7 days ago this was not a problem.

I have done a hardware reset and my APN settings are as follows:

Name: Vodafone UK
APN: wap.vodafone.co.uk
Proxy: 212.183.137.12
Port: 8799
User name: wap
Password: *** (my guess is wap as it was working but please confirm that 'wap' is correct)
MMSC: http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms
MMS: 212.183.137.12
MMS port: 8799
Authentication type: PAP

Call 191 and ask them if there is a block on your account for data, as it could be an account issue.
Message 11 of 27 (12,565 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V
ado28

I don't know if this actually makes any difference but when I reset my phone and reinstalled all the codes for the internet ect I found that if the green dot wasn't in the "Vodafone Internet" box then my internet wouldn't work. Strange but worth a try!

For hints, tips and flashing guides, visit my youtube page www.youtube.com/puggereduk
Message 12 of 27 (12,565 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
mattb123

I don't know if this actually makes any difference but when I reset my phone and reinstalled all the codes for the internet ect I found that if the green dot wasn't in the "Vodafone Internet" box then my internet wouldn't work. Strange but worth a try!

I've only got vodafone contract wap there any my internet varies from unusable to non existent :wacko:
Message 13 of 27 (12,565 Views)
very_teknical

I've only got vodafone contract wap there any my internet varies from unusable to non existent :wacko:

try adding 'vodafone internet' manually (that's what i'm running on)

goto settings > wireless and network > mobile networks > access point names>menu> new apn
Enter the following:

Name : Vodafone Internet
APN: Internet
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not Set
Username: web
Password: web
MMSC: Not Set
MMS Proxy: Not Set
MMS Port: Not Set
Authentication: PAP

taken from:
http://devicehelp.vo...ySi9000_WEB.pdf
Message 14 of 27 (12,565 Views)
mattb123

I've just tried that VT, and the internet completely stopped working; the web pages wouldn't even try to load.

I've changed back to the WAP setting and I found this guide here for wap and my settings were not the same, so I've changed them and I'll have to see if things get any better.

Should my APN be set to VF Internet or does it not matter?
Message 15 of 27 (12,565 Views)
very_teknical

I've just tried that VT, and the internet completely stopped working; the web pages wouldn't even try to load.

I've changed back to the WAP setting and I found this guide here for wap and my settings were not the same, so I've changed them and I'll have to see if things get any better.

Should my APN be set to VF Internet or does it not matter?

I don't know what to say mate. I use Vf internet apn because it allows me to do tethering. I couldn't get it work with the wap apn.

For me everything works using vf internet

try this code:
*#*#4646#*#*

Select phone info
scroll down set preferred network type and see what it says.
My one is set to GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)
Message 16 of 27 (12,565 Views)
mattb123

I don't know what to say mate. I use Vf internet apn because it allows me to do tethering. I couldn't get it work with the wap apn.

For me everything works using vf internet

try this code:
*#*#4646#*#*

Select phone info
scroll down set preferred network type and see what it says.
My one is set to GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)

That code does nothing for me. I found another setting in Mobile network settings and under Network mode:

GSM/WCDMA (auto mode)

Hmm might give VF a ring :(
Message 17 of 27 (12,565 Views)
very_teknical

That code does nothing for me. I found another setting in Mobile network settings and under Network mode:

GSM/WCDMA (auto mode)

Hmm might give VF a ring :(

sorry the code is 4636 not 4646

I think you may have to re-flash a modem file
Did you flash to jm8 first before flashing jpo??
Message 18 of 27 (12,565 Views)
mattb123

sorry the code is 4636 not 4646

I think you may have to re-flash a modem file
Did you flash to jm8 first before flashing jpo??

Ah that's better and I have the same setting as you.

I did flash to jm8 then to JPO. I can't rebothered to do that now (lots of cold beers in the fridge :P) but if it continues to be a problem I'll reflash my phone JM8 then JPO and see if things get better.

Thanks for your help VT. If I could pass a beer through the interweb tubes to you, I would!
Message 19 of 27 (12,565 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V
ado28

Hi Matt,

Go to this link and enter all the following settings from the Vodafone guide:

Internet
MMS
WAP

Then once you have entered all of these as per the VF guide make sure your green dot is placed in the Vodafone Internet tab. I have all these settings in my phone and all the features work a treat.

For hints, tips and flashing guides, visit my youtube page www.youtube.com/puggereduk
Message 20 of 27 (12,565 Views)