Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
Firepig

Samsung Galaxy S - Cannot sync anything with Kies

Apparently if you do the following it will work.

Unmount the internal SD
Format internal SD
Restart phone

Tried that (as my SD card was blank anyway). Makes no difference.
Message 21 of 149 (33,729 Views)
Firepig

Tried that (as my SD card was blank anyway). Makes no difference.

Sorry, scratch that - I was referring to the "external" SD card. I haven't formatted the internal memory.
Message 22 of 149 (33,729 Views)
Firepig

Hi TrevJH,

I appreciate it's frustrating that your phone isn't working with Kies, and this is annoying for you as a consumer with expectations of the device.

This issue has nothing to do with Vodafone in terms of development or management however I have emailed one of our software guys to see if there is anyone in Samsung we can talk to about this.

I can't make any guarantees at the moment, please hang fire whilst I await a response.

Thanks

Holly
eForum Team

Samsung suppport are telling me to take/send my phone back to Vodafone as the retailer will be able to "check it".
Firepig
Message 23 of 149 (33,729 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
masterchef30

Folks,

I have seen all these symptoms too. What worked for me is to remove the external SD card (either physically or by unmounting i)t. Then all works as expected. This is absolutly repeatable. I found you cannot even load the Keis drivers with the SD card in place. Unmount the card and in go the drivers!

Once the drivers are loaded correctly, I find that the phone will not connect subsequently if the external SD card has been mounted again. Note that powering down the phone remounts the SD card, so you have to unmount it again before the phone will connect.

Yes, I have formatted the card to see if that makes a difference and no, it does not.

So at least I have a work around, even if it involves a lot of mounting and unmounting of the SD card.

Give it a try and see if it helps.

Masterchef
Message 24 of 149 (33,729 Views)
Firepig

Folks,

I have seen all these symptoms too. What worked for me is to remove the external SD card (either physically or by unmounting i)t. Then all works as expected. This is absolutly repeatable. I found you cannot even load the Keis drivers with the SD card in place. Unmount the card and in go the drivers!

Once the drivers are loaded correctly, I find that the phone will not connect subsequently if the external SD card has been mounted again. Note that powering down the phone remounts the SD card, so you have to unmount it again before the phone will connect.

Yes, I have formatted the card to see if that makes a difference and no, it does not.

So at least I have a work around, even if it involves a lot of mounting and unmounting of the SD card.

Give it a try and see if it helps.

Masterchef

Thanks, but doesn't work for me. Unmounted both internal and external SD cards, and clerly it had some effect, as the flashing of the screen and the MTP application splash screen slowed right down, and the PC even appreared to load the driver, but Kies never found the device.
Samsung support told me to try another computer, snd I get the same effect under Windows XP as on my Windows 7 64 bit machine. Their next suggestion is to take/send the phone back to Vodafone - but if you look on the Vodafone forum they're directing all enquiires to Samsung... Firepig
Message 25 of 149 (33,729 Views)
Techboy

Plugging the phone in while Windows (7) is already running doesn't work for me.

However if I plug it in and then boot up the PC and THEN on the phone turn off USB storage, it then works.

See if that works for you...
Message 26 of 149 (33,729 Views)
masterchef30

Hi Firepig,

Sorry that did not work for you, although it seems to have had some effect, as you say. Are your drivers loaded correctly in Device Manager? Mine would only load with the SD card unmounted.

I also did a re-install of Kies using the latest version from the Samsung Website (1.5.1.1007_32). Be warned though, I could not uninstall Kies without resorting to brute force deletion and registry editing to get rid of the damn thing! No msi file found!

This is clearly software that should not have been released by Samsung. Pity they did not think of the impact of this shoddy programming on purchasers of their top of the line (and excellent) Galaxy S. No doubt they will get around to fixing it - there seems to be a new release of Keis every few days at the moment, so that in itself tells a story. Did you also notice that Kies tells you that Galaxy S is not supported when you go to Samsung Apps? Great!

Masterchef
Message 27 of 149 (33,729 Views)
Firepig

Hi Firepig,

Sorry that did not work for you, although it seems to have had some effect, as you say. Are your drivers loaded correctly in Device Manager? Mine would only load with the SD card unmounted.

I also did a re-install of Kies using the latest version from the Samsung Website (1.5.1.1007_32). Be warned though, I could not uninstall Kies without resorting to brute force deletion and registry editing to get rid of the damn thing! No msi file found!

This is clearly software that should not have been released by Samsung. Pity they did not think of the impact of this shoddy programming on purchasers of their top of the line (and excellent) Galaxy S. No doubt they will get around to fixing it - there seems to be a new release of Keis every few days at the moment, so that in itself tells a story. Did you also notice that Kies tells you that Galaxy S is not supported when you go to Samsung Apps? Great!

Masterchef

Thanks for your help. Not quite sure what to look for in Device Manager. Under MTP USB Device there are drivers loaded, but they are standard Microsoft drivers, and the Device is described as "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

Under USB Controllers there is Samsung USB Composite Device, for which drivers are installed, and no error - I'm guessing that this might be the Mass Storage connection, which does work. Update Driver did intall a new driver, but it has made no difference to the Kies problem.

I've tried starting the computer with the phone plugged in, internal SD demounted and external SD removed, but it made no difference.
Firepig
Message 28 of 149 (33,729 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Daz_V

Hi guys,

It's a shame to read that you're suffering this issue. As the software is not our own, I would recommend contacting the Samsung Mobile team via their Customer Services page.

Perhaps one of the community can suggest a solution in the meanwhile?

Daz

eForum Team
Want to give me some feedback? Yes
Message 29 of 149 (33,729 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
Trev123

Hi guys,

It's a shame to read that you're suffering this issue. As the software is not our own, I would recommend contacting the Samsung Mobile team via their Customer Services page.

Perhaps one of the community can suggest a solution in the meanwhile?

Daz

eForum Team

Dear Daz,
You have obviously not read this thread - which starts with a discussion of my spending a week trying to speak to Samsung customer services, who basically told me to switch it off and on again and ended up asking me to buy another operating system and re-build my desktop PC to see if that fixed it.

Please read our response to James earlier post that follows a similar script to yours, and Holly's subsequent attempt to salvage the situation.

Holly, promised to raise this with Samsung and asked us to 'Hang Fire' while she did this. Well I have hung fire for a week now with no further mention or contact from Holly.

Meanwhile more customers are posting the same problem - I would expect Vodafone to be concerned that a large number of customers will be exercising their right to return the phone and cancel the contract forthwith and to be taking the matter up with Samsung UK with a view to getting a fix or at least a statement regarding the issue that shows some commitment to help.

So please read the thread and ask Holly how she is getting on with raising our issue with Samsung.

Thanks and Regards

Trev
Message 30 of 149 (33,729 Views)
masterchef30

Hi Firepig,

The first thing to realise is that you are not alone. I have been ggogling this issue for a week now and you can find hundreds (thousands?) of posts with similar problems. Basically, Keis is not ready yet and should never have been released for the Galaxy S. So it is not ypour fault!

I have it working now - sort of. You appear to be still at the "it won't load the drivers" stage. Here is what I did.

Make sure you have Keis version v1.5.1.10071_32 or later if one releases in the meantime. Go to Device Manager with the phone disconnected and uninstall all the Samsung related drivers. You will need to go to View/Show hidden devices. The Samsung drivers will all be greyed out because the phone is not connected. Do not worry about uninstalling the drivers, they will all reload once you connect the phone. Then reboot the phone, followed by unmounting the SD card and ext. SD if you have one. Go to About Phone in Settings and select USB Settings/Ask on Connection. Only then connect the phone and select Samsung Keis when the Select USB Mode pops up on the phone. Keis should then open on your PC and the drivers load. Check you have no yellow crosses in Device Manager or Unknown Devices. You may have to fiddle around here to get all the drivers to load properly, uninstalling them or doing a Driver Recovery in Keis. Unless everything is showing OK in Device Manager, you will not be able to connect.

If all this is successful, your phone will connect in Keis at last. Be aware though that if you remount the SD cards, it won't connect any more and this happens automatically after a reboot of the phone! You end up in an endlessly mounting and unmounting SD cards.

Once you are connected you will probably hit the next problem - Outlook will not sync properly. But that is for another post.

On the other hand, you could give up and wait for Samsung to fix Keis. They sure have enough complaints at the moment.

Masterchef
Message 31 of 149 (33,729 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Holly

Hi guys,

I have just chased this with the software guys again however as its late on a Friday there aren't many people here right now.

As I'm not here over the weekend the latest I will get you a response is Monday, I know its been a while however it takes time for us to liaise with Samsung and get these things investigated.

Please continue to be patient and I will get you an answer.

Thanks

Holly
eForum Team
Message 32 of 149 (33,729 Views)
Firepig

Hi guys,

I have just chased this with the software guys again however as its late on a Friday there aren't many people here right now.

As I'm not here over the weekend the latest I will get you a response is Monday, I know its been a while however it takes time for us to liaise with Samsung and get these things investigated.

Please continue to be patient and I will get you an answer.

Thanks

Holly
eForum Team

I spoke to the Samsung technical support people for the fourth time this week. Each time they try to fob you off with some unlikely solution you must try and then ring them again - taking another 24 hours. On Tuesday they insisted that version 1.5 of Kies would definitely work - it doesn't. Yesterday it was definitely the fault of Norton 360 (even though I had the same effect on a PC with different antivirus). I spent an hour with Norton support this morning to prove it wasn't. Now they are telling me to return the phone to Vodafone so they can "check" the software. the support line people don't seem to have much technical knowledge and have not mentioned any of the SD card or Media Player fixes mentioned here. At long last their support person admitted taht they seem to have a softwre problem and promised a new version would definitely fix it, which sould be out around 1 August. My confidence in this is around nil.
Firepig
Message 33 of 149 (33,729 Views)
masterchef30

Dear Holly,

I appreciate you picking up on this dialogue and for chasing Samsung, who are clearly at fault here. Basically, I have concluded that Keis is severly broken. You only have to Google for a few minutes to find this out. The Galaxy S is a superb phone and works as Google intended almost without fault, provided you are prepared to go with the Google cloud model. For those of us who are not, Keis is supposed to provide the local solution, syncing with Outlook and allowing local file transfer. Sadly, it doesn't. No doubt it will eventually, but in the meantime we customers are left with several work arounds to sync Outlook, all of which involve entrusting our lives to the Google servers.

Keep up the good work and beat on Samsung! Obviously their Keis team were caught on the hop by the release of Galaxy S and are struggling to catch up.

Masterchef
Message 34 of 149 (33,729 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
FlyingFish

I had various issues with kies, driver issues was the main one. If I went to settings and update it told me i was on the latest version. Turns out I wasn't. I uninstalled completely and downloaded ver 1.5.1.10071_32, i now get an annoying error 'FsUsbService Msg' 'Failed FsUsbExService, No Existing UsbExDevice' but if i click ok and carry on then kies works as it should.
I then backed up my contacts, messages and photos and ungraded my firmware. Seems to be a bit faster now with no apparrent lagging.
Message 35 of 149 (33,729 Views)
Techboy

Has anyone else tried what I suggested? If so, did it work?

I am surprised that Vodafone are not liasing with Keis and Microsoft about this - at least to give us a definitive answer of which company is 'owning' and investigating the issue.

Message 36 of 149 (33,729 Views)
gleff

Hi All,

I just thought i'd put my two cents in. I was having the same issue getting the MTP USB Driver Failed issue. Have you all tried unmounting the external sd card and then connecting the usb cable. I've written a fix on my blog (which has been mentioned in another thread). Although i'm using Windows 7, it should work pretty similar on XP. In the worst case scenario, you may need to go into Device Manager and uninstall the devices first.

Here's the blog entry.

http://www.blog.glef...galaxy-s-i9000/

Essentially, if the above doesn't work, try doing this first.

Plug in the phone and when it fails, go into Device Manager and uninstall the following:

Samsung Android USB modem (located in the Modems section)
Samsung Android USB composite device (located in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section)
MTP USB device (located in the Portable Devices section)

Don't rescan for new hardware. Unplug the USB cable.

Now follow the fix from the blog which is namely:

• On the phone, go to Settings and then SD card and phone storage
  • In the top section, which is for the External SD card, click on Unmount SD card
  • Then go to Settings, and then About Phone, and then USB Settings
  • Ensure your USB Cable is unplugged and click on Samsung Kies
  • Note: At this point, ensure you aren’t using any other Launcher eg. Launcher Pro Beta etc. You must be using the TouchWiz launcher to connect in Kies mode. If you don’t, you’ll get a message on the phone that says PC Connection only available in idle screen.
  • If you’re in the TouchWiz Launcher (This is the default stock launcher from when you first purchased the phone), you can now connect the USB Cable. Wait about one minute and the drivers should install successfully, and Kies should be able to connect to the phone after about another minute.
  • If nothing happens, go back into the Device Manager and scan for new hardware so it picks up the changes. Note: To remount the external SD card (when you’re finished with Kies), simply reboot the phone. It will automatically remount the card.

The blog entry also has a section for the Mass Storage Mode.

Let me know if the above helps.
  • Message 37 of 149 (33,729 Views)
    Rank 3: Occasional Poster
    Trev123

Just tried to hook up the phone to use manual synch - i.e. mount in mass storage mode and click and drag but that would not work.
    Then I get an error on the phone - this is a 1st.

Now the phone is unusable - I get:
    "the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped "
    constantly, unless I turn off auto synch.

When I turn off synching it stops - until that is I try to do anything at all.

Vodafone - please respond, NOW - Ive been trying to engage with you for 3 weeks, I've been into 3 stores - all of them simply say I have to contact the tech guys on the forum - Ive looked through this form and CANT FIND ONE INSTANCE OF YOU FIXING ANYTHING on this handset
    This handset is completely stuffed!

I have video and pics I now need off the internal SIM card urgently - my sons 4th birthday - my wife is &^%$£" livid, it looks like more hours of my life wasted trying to sort this sodding phone out.

Looking back through this thread can I have some help from the retailer please instead of pointless apologies, denials of responsibility, unfulfilled promises and a complete lack of commitment.

###### angry now

Trev
    Message 38 of 149 (33,729 Views)
    Moderator (Retired)
    Jon_V

Hi Trev,

I've not heard any updates on this - I will email Holly now and see if there has been any progress :)

Jon

eForum Team
    Want to give me some feedback? click here
    Message 39 of 149 (33,729 Views)
    Moderator (Retired)
    Holly

Hi guys,

The last email I sent to chase this up was never responded to, I have now tried another senior technical guy who I know this was flagged to.

I know it doesn't look good to you people waiting for a response however I can't give you any information until I get a response and the man responsible for liaising with Samsung is away until the 28th.

Please be patient, as I have said before its not our software so all we can do is alert Samsung and go from there.

Thanks

Holly
    eForum Team
    Message 40 of 149 (33,729 Views)