Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
lexmeister2

Samsung Galaxy S - Cannot sync anything with Kies

Just thought I'd add a little here, gave it a go with mine to see if there's a problem. Downloaded this version off the Samsung website.........LINK

I've got it installed on Windows XP SP3, plugged phone in first, did absolutely nothing. Then unmounted external SD card and it's all fine. Dropped a video file on to the phone, and it works perfectly.

So it appears you must be using the TouchWiz launcher, and have the external SD unmounted. Either way I doubt I'll use it much as I can't see any reason to but glad that it works :)
Message 41 of 149 (33,896 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
hettie

have just registered so I can contribute to this forum with my woes.....
I can get the phone recognised by Kies, transfer music etc BUT I cannot get it to sync with outlook, just hangs on the pop in window that says "schedule is synncing with outlook- please wait" it never moves from 1% ....... this makes the phone useless for me as I need to be able to use my calendar and it has to be syncable...Any solutions?
Message 42 of 149 (33,896 Views)
lexmeister2

have just registered so I can contribute to this forum with my woes.....
I can get the phone recognised by Kies, transfer music etc BUT I cannot get it to sync with outlook, just hangs on the pop in window that says "schedule is synncing with outlook- please wait" it never moves from 1% ....... this makes the phone useless for me as I need to be able to use my calendar and it has to be syncable...Any solutions?

If you have a google account you could sync your outlook calendar with google calendar and then let the phone sync with that - I use google calendar all the time now, haven't used outlook in years.

Can't understand why it won't sync though.
Message 43 of 149 (33,896 Views)
hettie

thing is i work in an area with in which there is no way I could risk having apointments saved on google servers, it would be a sackable offence...... I have to get outlook sync working
Message 44 of 149 (33,896 Views)
lexmeister2

thing is i work in an area with in which there is no way I could risk having apointments saved on google servers, it would be a sackable offence...... I have to get outlook sync working

Fair enough, assuming you use microsoft exchange, could you not sync directly then rather than having to sync with outlook?
Message 45 of 149 (33,896 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
masterchef30

Fair enough, assuming you use microsoft exchange, could you not sync directly then rather than having to sync with outlook?

Let me rejoin this discussion. I is clear that Kies does not work as it is supposed to. Yes, you can work around the problem and unmount the external SD card and after a load of of hassle, maybe you can get Outlook to sync properly, although after Googling the hundreds of posts, this is clearly not eay. So far. I can sync Calendar, but not Contacts - let me not go on about everything I have tried, I have access to some top IT professionals and they are flummoxed.

The Galaxy S is a superb phone and Samsung should be proud of their hardware. But if you expect to sell to professionals who want to take it out of the box, make a few settings and sync to their work Outlook server, forget it. This fact should be of serious concern to Vodafone/Samsung/Google and worthy of a heavy-duty escalation within their respective organisations.

Do I have a silver bullet for the problem? No, apart from wait for Android Froyo upgrade and the next version of Kies. And that appears to be the concensus of the hundreds of posts I have read. This is a waste of days of customers time, not to mention good will.

The suggestion that we can sync through the Google servers is not acceptable to many users. The software of choice for the vast majority of professional users is Outlook, like it or not. I bought the phone on the understanding that it would sync with Outlook and it does not. Back to the welcoming arms of Microsoft despite the limitations of Windows Mobile? I hope not, but let us wait and see.

Thanks to the outstanding efforts of the many users that have taken the trouble to post extended descriptions of what might work. Sadly, their time too should not have been necessary.

Masterchef
Message 46 of 149 (33,896 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Jon_V

Hi Masterchef,

I will pass on your comments, and the others in this thread.

Jon

eForum Team
Want to give me some feedback? click here
Message 47 of 149 (33,896 Views)
Rank 8: Helper II
frostfree

I just managed to install Kies on Vista and got it working after several ad-hoc troubleshooting steps to get the driver installed, certainly not for the casual computer user!

Once installed I opened the apps store and got a pop-up banner stating "this mobile phone is not supported by samsung apps", the list of supported phones did not include the Galaxy S.... what a joke!!!

Finally there's a firmware upgrade icon which when launched displays an error that the computer is not connected to the internet, it's just comical. I guess I'm fortunate that I don't need to sync anything with the laptop having used a previous android phone that didn't support pc syncing, so for over a year now I'd migrated everything I needed into gmail.

FF
Message 48 of 149 (33,896 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Holly

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the delay as I've been away the last two days.

I have been contacted by one of our senior technical guys who has asked for as much specific information as possible about the issues people are experiencing. When this was tested in house there were no issues and Samsung Kies worked as intended with our Galaxy.

By specific information we mean any error messages, details of which computer model and operating system this has occered with. If you have tested multiple computers please say so. It will also be interesting to know if you are all experiencing the same errors.

Once we have this data we can pass it on and try to replicate the faults that have been described.

Thanks

Holly
eForum Team
Message 49 of 149 (33,896 Views)
masterchef30

Hi Holly,

While wishing to be as helpful as possile, it would take several pages to fully list everything I have tried, so I will distill it to where I think I have got to.

1) I am om a Dell Precision 4400 running windows 7 Enterprise.
2) Kies version v1.5.1.10071_32 (latest according to Samsung update). There has been a Kies update during this saga , so watch out for different versions in posts.
3) There is clearly an issue with installing the MTP driver. I experienced many instances of faiure to instal before it finally succeeded. Used many methods, as I remember Kies driver repair finally worked. Watch out here for the many posts that did not realise success depends on whether you have an external SD card mounted or not.
4) I can now connect routinely, but only after unmounting the external SD card. If I do not, it fails every time.
5) In case you are wondering, my external SD card works fine and I have 6000+ photos on it thatI I can browse withought problem when disconnected.
6) I am running Outlook 2007 in local mode - I sync to Exchange server for mail and download to the local machine. I sync to the Galaxy S when offline using Kies.
7) After several instances of Kies Outlook calandar sync hanging, it now seems to be OK, provided of course the external SD is unmounted first, otherwise the phone will not connect.
8) I cannot get Outlook contacts to sync, it just hangs. I gave up and loaded contacts by exporting from Outlook as vCards. I now have my contacts on the phone, but Keis contact sync still hangs if I try to use it.

If someone more expert than I am was to diagnose the problem, I would start by asking why the MIP driver will not load when an external SD card is mounted.

Hope this helps.

Masterchef
Message 50 of 149 (33,896 Views)
sudburys

This is crazy...

Basically, I've tried (what should be simple enough for the everyday phone user) on 2 different computers, a sony vaio laptop running XP service pack 2 media edition and a Dell desktop - not sure what model.

Ive installed Kies a number of times, each time ensuring it was the latest version available from the Samsung website and found that the programme ran best when I uncheked both tick boxes once installation was complete. I've mentioned these boxes before, it seems that unchecking them allows for the drivers to be updated or something (I'm not the most accomplished computer user I'm afraid so am not 100% sure) but it seemed to complete the installation.

Whilst connecting my phone to the computer I get a 'connecting device' message on the right handside of the Kies programme but it just hangs there forever and dosent seem to complete the action.

If I go into 'my computer' both my phone memory and external sd card show up as drives and I can explore or do whatever there but the second I try to use any of the features in Kies I get told 'please conect phone'. I find this quite strange as some of the other features in the programme, once selected, tell me that 'this action does not support this device'.

I find it absolutely amazing that Samsung can release a software programme for thier latest device that does not actually support it for any of the features? I also find it worrying that this wasn't picked up by the Vodafone team!!! considering the ammount of time spent testing latest firmware editions it would have been reassuring for someone to have piped up and said "hold on... why are we selling this great phone to our customers who pay us loads of theyre hard earned cash every month when they cant even use it for a bog standard back up and sync on thier computer?????"
Message 51 of 149 (33,896 Views)
kenpeel

I discussed Kies with Vodafone technical support and Samsung a couple of weeks ago.

Kies does not work with the Galaxy S. It is a known fault. Vodafone technical support know about it, so do Samsung. The development of Kies is behind the handset development programme. We will all need to wait for Kies to catch up if we want to sync with Outlook (for example), or give up. There is no date.

For now, the only way to transfer files to a PC is to use the Galaxy S in USB Mass Storage mode and explicitly mount it as a storage device.
Message 52 of 149 (33,896 Views)
kenpeel

For clarity, Vodafone SHOULD NOT refer customers to the manufacturer for any handset hardware or software faults, if they do they are in breach of UK Trading Standards. Regardless of who Vodafone use as their suppliers they must undertake to resolve all queries with their suppliers on behalf of their customers. Having had this experience myself numerous times since becoming a Vodafone customer I am infuriated by the "it's not our software..." argument - that sort of passing the buck is unacceptable and irresponsible.

VODAFONE - TAKE RESPONSIBILITY.
Message 53 of 149 (33,896 Views)
kenpeel

Just re-read this.

John, Holly, and colleagues, don't "pass on" comments, respond to them on behalf of Vodafone recognising the consumer rights of Vodafone's customers or don't respond at all.
Message 54 of 149 (33,896 Views)
lexmeister2

I would have to admit that on using it it appears that Kies is not yet ready for this phone. This is why the sync is a bit of a faff, and it doesn't work for everyone.

The simple fact that the only options available are windows mobile or symbian is clue enough that they haven't sorted it out fully.

Hopefully Samsung bring out an updated Kies asap so that they do not end up with too many complaints.
Message 55 of 149 (33,896 Views)
masterchef30

This is crazy...

Basically, I've tried (what should be simple enough for the everyday phone user) on 2 different computers, a sony vaio laptop running XP service pack 2 media edition and a Dell desktop - not sure what model.

Ive installed Kies a number of times, each time ensuring it was the latest version available from the Samsung website and found that the programme ran best when I uncheked both tick boxes once installation was complete. I've mentioned these boxes before, it seems that unchecking them allows for the drivers to be updated or something (I'm not the most accomplished computer user I'm afraid so am not 100% sure) but it seemed to complete the installation.

Whilst connecting my phone to the computer I get a 'connecting device' message on the right handside of the Kies programme but it just hangs there forever and dosent seem to complete the action.

If I go into 'my computer' both my phone memory and external sd card show up as drives and I can explore or do whatever there but the second I try to use any of the features in Kies I get told 'please conect phone'. I find this quite strange as some of the other features in the programme, once selected, tell me that 'this action does not support this device'.

I find it absolutely amazing that Samsung can release a software programme for thier latest device that does not actually support it for any of the features? I also find it worrying that this wasn't picked up by the Vodafone team!!! considering the ammount of time spent testing latest firmware editions it would have been reassuring for someone to have piped up and said "hold on... why are we selling this great phone to our customers who pay us loads of theyre hard earned cash every month when they cant even use it for a bog standard back up and sync on thier computer?????"
Message 56 of 149 (33,896 Views)
masterchef30

Your symptoms are consistent with what many people have found (read the posts). Try unmounting or physically removing your external SD card.

best regards,

David Payne
Message 57 of 149 (33,896 Views)
masterchef30

I discussed Kies with Vodafone technical support and Samsung a couple of weeks ago.

Kies does not work with the Galaxy S. It is a known fault. Vodafone technical support know about it, so do Samsung. The development of Kies is behind the handset development programme. We will all need to wait for Kies to catch up if we want to sync with Outlook (for example), or give up. There is no date.

For now, the only way to transfer files to a PC is to use the Galaxy S in USB Mass Storage mode and explicitly mount it as a storage device.

Dear kenpeel

While you are strictly correct, the way I see it is there is not a lot Vodafone can do, apart from beat up Samsung, which I am sure they are doing. VF can hardly rewrite the Kies software themselves, can they? But I agree, keep the pressure up.

Best regards,

masterchef
Message 58 of 149 (33,896 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
certifiedinsane

Hi all,

I thought I would add my experience with Kies here.

I have 2 machines which I have tried.

First Machine:
Desktop PC
Windows 7 Professional x64
Kies V1.5.1.10071_32
Outlook 2003

The Galaxy S connected absolutely perfectly, with the SD card mounted and I was able to synch my contacts from Outlook 2003 with absolutely no problems at all. I have also used Kies to transfer pics and movie files both to and from the handset and SD card.

Not sure whether it makes any difference at all but I also have the Windows UAC turned off completely.

Second Machine:
Compaq Presario Laptop
Windows XP Professional SP3
Kies V1.5.1.10071_32
Outlook 2003

The handset will not connect at all. The MTP app loads on the handset but it will not connect to Kies.

Tried:
Removing and reinstalling Kies and all assosciated drivers.
Unmounting both the internal and external SD cards.
Rebooting the phone.
Formatting both SD cards and reconnecting handset.
Kies Driver recovery (from the Kies menu)

No result. It still will not connect.

I am still working on it though so if I find a fix I will let you know.

:)
Message 59 of 149 (33,896 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
certifiedinsane

Hi all,

I thought I would add my experience with Kies here.

I have 2 machines which I have tried.

First Machine:
Desktop PC
Windows 7 Professional x64
Kies V1.5.1.10071_32
Outlook 2003

The Galaxy S connected absolutely perfectly, with the SD card mounted and I was able to synch my contacts from Outlook 2003 with absolutely no problems at all. I have also used Kies to transfer pics and movie files both to and from the handset and SD card.

Not sure whether it makes any difference at all but I also have the Windows UAC turned off completely.

Second Machine:
Compaq Presario Laptop
Windows XP Professional SP3
Kies V1.5.1.10071_32
Outlook 2003

The handset will not connect at all. The MTP app loads on the handset but it will not connect to Kies.

Tried:
Removing and reinstalling Kies and all assosciated drivers.
Unmounting both the internal and external SD cards.
Rebooting the phone.
Formatting both SD cards and reconnecting handset.
Kies Driver recovery (from the Kies menu)

No result. It still will not connect.

I am still working on it though so if I find a fix I will let you know.

:)

Since my last post I have done the following:

Removed the following from Add/Remove Programs
.Net Framework 2.0 SP2
.Net Framework 3.0 SP2
.Net Framework 3.5 SP1

Used the .Net Framework Removal Tool to remove the data for ALL VERSIONS:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Reinstalled .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 from Microsoft's Website:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ab99342f-5d1a-413d-8319-81da479ab0d7&DisplayLang=en

Install ActiveSynch 4.5, found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/downloads/microsoft/activesync-download.mspx

System rebooted wherever prompted to do so.

Note: I don't think I previously had ActiveSynch installed, although I am not 100% certain on that but it is listed as a required component on Samsungs website.

Launched Kies and .... still wont connect, MTP driver failure.

I recently read an MS article about Media Players part in using MTP devices and it suggested rolling back to Windows Media Player 10. I haven't tried this yet but it's next on my list.
Message 60 of 149 (33,896 Views)