Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
Trev123

Samsung Galaxy S - Cannot sync anything with Kies

Hello,

I have spent the week on the phone to Samsung (which means Ive actually managed to speak to an engineer once and receive voice mails).

My Galaxy S will not start the MTP application when connecting to USB and selecting either Kies or Media Player.

It just says starting MTP application - then it returns to the home screen for 3 seconds, then it returns to the starting MTP application and just loops endlessly. Meanwhil Kies says "initiating connection" for ever.

I connected once when I 1st set up the phone then Kies updated - then this.

I have tried the following:

different USB cable
different USB port
different computer (same OS)
reinstalling my initial version of Kies
installing latest version of Kies
removing and reinstalling samsung usb drivers.
attaching the phone after switching it off and on again.
Attaching the phone after removing the battery and re-inserting it.
Installing Kies with the phone unattached
Installing Kies with the phone attached.
Begging

Now Samsung want me to try a PC with a different OS! I dont have anyone with Windows 7 and I dont fancy springing for £70 to MS just to test their phone!

Please let me know if yopu have the slightest idea how to sort this - before I order a new OS for my desktop so I can re-build it to sync with a phone (the current one is XP SP3).

Mass storage works ok but tools such as doubletwist wont see it even though I can copy files to and from it.

Many thanks

Trev
Message 1 of 149 (34,781 Views)
Rank 13: Guide II
tonytango

hi,have you seen this,
http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/topic/64088-galaxy-s-kies-for-pc/
blackberry storm 2
nokia n97 mini x6
sony Ericsson satio
htc touch 2
htc hd2
samsung galaxy s x3
nokia e65
htc desire hd x2

so far this year
Message 2 of 149 (34,781 Views)
Trev123

hi,have you seen this,
http://forum.vodafon...-s-kies-for-pc/

Thanks but that addresses issues with installing Kies and running it (on Windows 7), Ive installed Kies (several times now) on XP SP3 as I dont have 7.

I just tried again with the very latest version of Kies (seems to be anew one each day) and I now get different behavior. I still cant sync of see the device in Kies. Kies does not now automatically start when I attached the device even though the trayagent is is running and the phone just has a little red triangle saying that USB is connected - nothing else - can still see mass storage mode and doubletwist still does not like it - still some very small progress.

Anyone else got to a similar position?
Message 3 of 149 (34,781 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
djandyr

hi, i had the same problem with windows xp. I have bought a micro sd card reader and a 2gb card as even using the phone to try and read the card is impossible! its a joke, at least apple designed itunes to work on all formats! I use the card reader to put all my photos/videos/music from my pc and then transfer it to my phone by inserting the card into the phone and using my files in applications to transfer the data to the phone memory.
Message 4 of 149 (34,781 Views)
SRUnderwood

Anyone else got to a similar position?

Yes, I have the identical problem on two computers, both running Vista. Once I'd figured out that you have to connect to the PC's Kies using mass storage mode and then mount the phone memory as a drive, Kies and Vista both see the drive and files can be copied on and off. However, the other Kies widgets do not see the phone in this mode. As you say, connecting in Kies mode gives the never ending MTP installation on the PC and neither Kies nor Vista can see the phone.

As far as I can make out from other discussion boards, Kies cannot connect to the Galaxy S when it is in Kies mode, but perhaps there is a Kies update in the offing?

If someone could confirm these facts, it may save a lot of people a lot of time and frustration.
Message 5 of 149 (34,781 Views)
djandyr

The easiest way I think which you shouldnt really have to do but I have done it to sabe time is to buy a card reader and transfer the files that way
Message 6 of 149 (34,781 Views)
saikomantis

Hello all

I am having similar problems with Windows Vista 32bit. When I try to connect via Samsung Keis, the PC can't seem to install the "MTP device" driver. When I connect the Galaxy S as a Mass Storage unit, my PC will recognise it and install drivers for it. It recognises the drives in My Computer as "removable disk (F)" and "removable disk (G)" however when I try to open it up it displays the message "Please insert a disk into removable disk(F)" !

When it is connected as as Mass Storage unit, I can open Samsung Keis and it will recognise that the phone is connected, but when I try to open up the folder to transfer files, a message comes up with "device not ready". I have also tried unmounting the drives and then re-mounting too but to no success whilst connected with Mass Storage and through Keis.

I am aware of the work around by transferring files from PC to SD Card and then SD card to the phone memory, but that's not the point! :-)
Message 7 of 149 (34,781 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hey Guys,

From what you have said, it does seems like there is an issue with the actual "KIES" application on different platforms, unfortunately as this is a 3rd party software (Samsung) we don't have any involvement in its development and you will need to raise all issues and concerns with them directly.

The only thing I can suggest would be to use the SD card workaround until the issue is resolved.

James
eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 8 of 149 (34,781 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
Pete_1983

this is not an issue for us to raise with Samsung. This is an issue for Vodafone to take up with Samsung. I have purchased a high end handset from Vodafone and it is not functioning as advertised as a result of this software not operating properly. I do not have a contract with Samsung for the handset but with Vodafone.

Please can you ensure this and the Activesync/Exchange support are addressed with the appropriate escalations.

Regards,
Message 9 of 149 (34,781 Views)
Trev123

Hey Guys,

From what you have said, it does seems like there is an issue with the actual "KIES" application on different platforms, unfortunately as this is a 3rd party software (Samsung) we don't have any involvement in its development and you will need to raise all issues and concerns with them directly.

The only thing I can suggest would be to use the SD card workaround until the issue is resolved.

James
eForum Team

Hold it right there James. Thats not acceptable under UK trading laws.

A smartphone that cannot sync with another device as advertised is very clearly, not fit for purpose. And as you very well know our contracts are with Vodafone the retailer, not Samsung.

So we are clear, ultimate responsibility lies with Vodafone. Now I accept that Vodafone are unlikely to be able to fix an issue with a piece of software maintained and licensed by their supplier themselves. But the very least you can do to show reasonable support to your customers is commit to take the problem to Samsung and lend the weight of your custom to the calls for clarity and support from the supplier.

Simply stating that we should raise issues and concerns with them directly indicates that you do not an any way share our issues and concerns and that Vodafone is willing to supply products that do not function as advertised without first warning the customer.

Show some commitment and support to your customers!

You admit there is a problem with the software has provided, and in the same paragraph attempt to wash you hands of the mater.

If you cannot correct the problem directly, you know very well that Vodafone can do far more than any individual posting on this forum by taking your supplier, Samsung to task, getting them to commit to correct the issue, and establishing a timeline and communicating same to your customers. This is how retail business deliver a positive reputation and position in the marketplace.

If Vodafone show no interest or commitment in solving the problem then my ultimate recourse must be to return the unit as not fit for purpose under the UK Sale and Supply of Goods and Services Act 1994 and find an alternate from a different vendor.

Should I be forced to this action - I will advertise it online and personally as widely as possible.

Regards
Trev

Message 10 of 149 (34,781 Views)
sudburys

Hold it right there James. Thats not acceptable under UK trading laws.

A smartphone that cannot sync with another device as advertised is very clearly, not fit for purpose. And as you very well know our contracts are with Vodafone the retailer, not Samsung.

So we are clear, ultimate responsibility lies with Vodafone. Now I accept that Vodafone are unlikely to be able to fix an issue with a piece of software maintained and licensed by their supplier themselves. But the very least you can do to show reasonable support to your customers is commit to take the problem to Samsung and lend the weight of your custom to the calls for clarity and support from the supplier.

Simply stating that we should raise issues and concerns with them directly indicates that you do not an any way share our issues and concerns and that Vodafone is willing to supply products that do not function as advertised without first warning the customer.

Show some commitment and support to your customers!

You admit there is a problem with the software has provided, and in the same paragraph attempt to wash you hands of the mater.

If you cannot correct the problem directly, you know very well that Vodafone can do far more than any individual posting on this forum by taking your supplier, Samsung to task, getting them to commit to correct the issue, and establishing a timeline and communicating same to your customers. This is how retail business deliver a positive reputation and position in the marketplace.

If Vodafone show no interest or commitment in solving the problem then my ultimate recourse must be to return the unit as not fit for purpose under the UK Sale and Supply of Goods and Services Act 1994 and find an alternate from a different vendor.

Should I be forced to this action - I will advertise it online and personally as widely as possible.

Regards
Trev

I've got fed up with the whole KIES problem so, What he said ^^^^
Message 11 of 149 (34,781 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Holly

Hi TrevJH,

I appreciate it's frustrating that your phone isn't working with Kies, and this is annoying for you as a consumer with expectations of the device.

This issue has nothing to do with Vodafone in terms of development or management however I have emailed one of our software guys to see if there is anyone in Samsung we can talk to about this.

I can't make any guarantees at the moment, please hang fire whilst I await a response.:)

Thanks

Holly
eForum Team
Message 12 of 149 (34,781 Views)
bigfatron

I have managed to get Kies 1.5.1.10071 to sync OK with Windows 7 (64 bit Home Edition) and Outlook 2007. Only trick I had to do was my pst file was passworded and it wouldn't play until i'd removed the password. Phone firmware is 2.1 update 1.
Message 13 of 149 (34,781 Views)
Trev123

Thanks Holly,
For the much improved commitment over Jame's position, do please let us know how you get on with Samsung soon.

And thanks bigfatron for the info - will try this tomorrow - of course I cannot change the firmware in the phone - because Kies does not work.....

Samsung do seem to be launching a new version of Kies every day or so- so I imagine something fairly frantic is taking place at Samsung's software HQ -

Trev
Message 14 of 149 (34,781 Views)
Trev123

hi, i had the same problem with windows xp. I have bought a micro sd card reader and a 2gb card as even using the phone to try and read the card is impossible! its a joke, at least apple designed itunes to work on all formats! I use the card reader to put all my photos/videos/music from my pc and then transfer it to my phone by inserting the card into the phone and using my files in applications to transfer the data to the phone memory.

You should be able to get further by setting the phone to mass storage mode (under the USB settings menu) and then the first time you connect - pull down the status bar and chose to mount the drive. Then you can explore the internal storage from Windows XP
Message 15 of 149 (34,781 Views)
kenpeel

To be clear, the responsibility for the goods lies with Vodafone.

Vodafone - how dare you try to pass the buck on this! Shocking.

If the supplier does not make amends for poor quality goods it is a matter for Trading Standards. Very clear.
Message 16 of 149 (34,781 Views)
kenpeel

In case there is any doubt about the consumer rights position here this website summarises the matter clearly:
The trader must sort out your problem, not the manufacturer

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_you_buy/know-your-rights/mobiles/

Message 17 of 149 (34,781 Views)
Firepig

I have managed to get Kies 1.5.1.10071 to sync OK with Windows 7 (64 bit Home Edition) and Outlook 2007. Only trick I had to do was my pst file was passworded and it wouldn't play until i'd removed the password. Phone firmware is 2.1 update 1.

I'm not so lucky - I have the same combination of versions but it still doesn't work - eror installling MTP USB driver. Did you do anything special to get it going? I have just uninstalled Kies and reinstalled from the website on advice of Samsung support, to no avail.
Message 18 of 149 (34,781 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
Grumbledook

Apparently if you do the following it will work.

Unmount the internal SD
Format internal SD
Restart phone
Message 19 of 149 (34,780 Views)
Rank 12: Guide I
NeoBlade

If you do format the SDCard be sure to copy the contents of it all to your computer as a backup! Unless you don't care of course.

Samsung has been known for poor after service and personally I can't see the point of the Kies software as it doesn't do what can be done on your phone already or via other pieces of software...

If I have time though I'll have a look at this MTP driver issue.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy S3

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!
Message 20 of 149 (34,779 Views)