You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
smithgs95

Samsung Galaxy S2: Enter Network Lock Control Key Issue!

Hi there, I was hoping someone could help as I'm starting to get a bit frustrated by the lack of clarity as to what causes this particular problem and how to go about solving it.  

I own a Samsung Galaxy S2  GT-I9100 which i believe is locked to Vodafone.  

A few weeks ago we lost the Vodafone network in our area for a few days and my S2 upon rebooting came up with a 'enter network lock control key' request. As i purchased the mobile through vodafone and the sim is vodafone this should not happen. (Ive had this mobile for 17 months without issue)  

I can confirm the sim works ok as i have tested it in an old mobile. I cannot find out if the device is network locked as when i enter *#simunlock# on the keypad nothing happens.  

I spoke to someone at vodafone and they said this was a s2 bug and to contact samsung directly. I spoke to customer support at samsung and they asked me to send the phone to them (under warranty). I got the mobile back a few days ago and the same error came up.

According to the samsung smart checklist which came back with the mobile it says it passed a 'live call performance verified'. Im not sure if this means they made an outgoing call on the device.   A full software reinstall seems to have been made by samsung so doubt it to be a software issue.

My question is if the device is requesting a network lock control key is this something vodafone can provide directly?  

Im hoping someone can provide the solution as the only way around this problem is to root the device and void the warranty in an attempt to solve it and i shouldnt have to do this.  

Best regards,  
Geoff
Message 1 of 17 (33,106 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
hrym

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2: Enter Network Lock Control Key Issue!

I'd say the first port of call would be a new SIM (don't forget to activate it!). I doubt Samsung would have tested on your SIM due to privacy issues, even if you'd sent it to them.
Message 2 of 17 (33,045 Views)
Rank 42: Oracle I
thesoupdragon

It sounds to me like you may need to manually rescan the Network Operators setting.

Select a different network, then scan again and select Vodafone. This should lock you back onto the Vodafone Network.

Wireless & Networks > Network Operators > scan...

halloweenSig.png

Message 3 of 17 (33,016 Views)
smithgs95

[ Edited ]
Hi there and thanks for the advice. The sim itself is ok as it works perfectly in 2 different handsets. I tried my wifes vodafone simcard in my handset and it still wont recognise the sim.

Professor II - I tried your advice and it won't allow me to scan the network, as it requests i enter a sim card to access network services.
Could this be a hardware failure rather than a software issue as the device will not recognise a valid vodafone sim?

Having said that, would something as obvious as a hardware failure not be spotted when the device was sent back to Samsung?
Message 4 of 17 (32,961 Views)
thesoupdragon

The only other thing I can suggest is to Factory reset the Phone.

When you do this it removes the Network association.

During setup you will see a pop up window which asks you to choose your Contract type;

Vodafone Contract = Monthly contract

Vodafone PrePay = Pay as you go.

This then automatically sets the phone up with the correct Network settings.

The only other thing I can think of is some sort of account bar has been activated on your account in error?

Hmmm.gif

halloweenSig.png

Message 5 of 17 (32,921 Views)
hrym

If your phone is failing to recognise 2 SIMs, then it could be a hardware fault.  However, there's one simple thing you can try: simply clean the SIM contacts.  Just wipe them firmly with a soft cloth.  My S2 wouldn't pick up a network until I did this.

Message 6 of 17 (32,900 Views)
smithgs95

Well, the search for the answer continues and thank you for the advice so far.

I cleaned the sim contacts and did a factory reset which didnt work. Ive checked my vodafone account online and linked my IMEI number to the sim; although both my and my wifes mobile weren't linked and hers works. Interestingly as a side note, I discovered around the time this issue started my online vodafone account had been deleted and I had to re-register.

What I did notice is if I boot the device without a sim, the first prompt is to say no sim has been detected. If i boot it with a sim, the first message to show is the 'enter network lock control key' prompt. I may be wrong but this suggests it is recognising something?

I've requested a network unlock code from vodafone (see if that does anything), but an email confirmation says Samsung will take up to 16 business days to provide the code. This leaves me without the device im paying for as good as a paperweight for a month which is rediculous!

Think I will give Samsung another call tomorrow and question whether or not its a hardware issue, as they did a full software reinstallation when I sent it back the first time.
Message 7 of 17 (32,864 Views)
thesoupdragon

The Unlock code you have requested, is to unlock a Phone for use with other Networks.

All Vodafone Pay Monthly Contract Phones are unlocked by default. So there is no point in getting this code.

Have you visited a Vodafone Store? It might be worth letting them take a look. They can provision a new SIM in Store, which may help?

It would at least point to hardware then...?

halloweenSig.png

Message 8 of 17 (32,861 Views)
hrym

I've Googled this a bit and there are various solutions, usually unconvincing or requiring rooting.  It does rather sound as though the code from Samsung is what you will need, but why this happened in the first place is a mystery and it doesn't seem to be particularly common.  I suspect something has corrupted the operating system.

If the code doesn't solve the issue, then it might be best to go to a Samsung repair centre in person and show them what's happening.  I'd suspect eiterh a hardware fault or that the phone needs completely wiping and re-flashing.

Message 9 of 17 (32,832 Views)
smithgs95

Once again thanks for the advice. I spoke to Samsung customer support this evening and the guy I spoke to was helpful. He suggested that because the SIM works on another device it could be a hardware failure on the S2.

He did say that the problem should have been resolved first time around as my initial repair sheet highlighted the network lock issue and it should have been checked before being sent back.

I live on the Isle of Wight, so going to a repair centre is not really an option for me. Will keep you updated as soon as Samsung have had a second go at fixing the problem.
Message 10 of 17 (32,789 Views)
smithgs95

[ Edited ]
Well still no resolution to this sorry saga after 2 months of waiting!  

After getting the handset back from samsung for the second time i inserted my sim back in and found the same request came up as soon as the device booted. A letter from samsung did confirm a fault was found and fixed. I called samsung back to say the issue had not been resolved and the person i spoke to (who wasn't interested in even checking the repair log) told me the issue was with vodafone and to get a network unlock code from them which would resolve the issue.  

I did try explain that its rather odd a vodafone mobile would randomly lock itself from a vodafone sim which is in perfectly good working order. She agreed it sounded unusual, but wasn't interested in dealing with me any further until i tried the code from vodafone and insisted it was an issue with the provider.  

I then spoke to vodafome customer support via chat to explain the issue and the response was..... Its a samsung issue. On checking the status of my network unlock code request (submitted 3 december) she told me that no request was found/made (which is shockingly poor seeing as though i have a reference number). After some time she made a second request for me (17 december) and im still waiting for some sort of confirmation. I understand samsung can take up to 16 business days to provide the unlock code. This is insane seeing as though they are the ones whome i have the issue with.  

I am a patient individual but this is taking the mick when im paying a monthly contract for a mobile i cant use. I work as an analyst for a mystery shopping company in the south of England and while i cant fault the friendlyness of the customer support reps on both sides, im rating samsung very poorly on resolving the issue, especially when i sent a cover letter explaining the fault and to check it could recognise a sim card.  

Trouble is now i have to wait for vodafone to eventually supply me with the network unlock code. From there i can eliminate the issue being with vodafone or samsung.

Rant over :smileyhappy:
Message 11 of 17 (31,101 Views)
smithgs95

So i just spoke to someone at vf customer support who said my initial network unlock request had gone through and they were still waiting on samsung. This would be 17 business days after the request went through. Very poor show from samsung.
Vf were very friendly but basically said i just have to wait some more and cant say how much longer it will be.

Im wondering if i should get hold of samsung once again and kick up a fuss?
If this is a samsung issue which vf tech people insist it is, am i within my rights to demand a new handset as its already been back twice. If i were dealing with Apple, i would have had a replacement without hesitation by now.
Message 12 of 17 (31,010 Views)
gooner56637

I've had the same issue for the past week. My sgs2 has randomly decided to lock to only t-mobile. I've visited the local Vodafone shop, ee shop and car phone warehouse. I purchased the phone through mobilephonesdirect and having finally spoken to them, one of their experts had the same issue and assured me it was a known issue (though not by anyone in any of those phone shops) with the s2 firmware. It's an ongoing problem that either requires software reinstatement or the Vodafone network unlock key. I'm waiting on the network key to come through. (a nice customer services lady at Vodafone said it'd take 72 hours or 16 days through the website).
Message 13 of 17 (30,954 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Andy

Hi smithgs95,

Once an NUC request has been confirmed as submitted to a manufacturer then it’s just a case of waiting until they advise us what it is and then we can let you know.

Hi gooner56637,

I must admit to have not heard about this specific issue. If the phone has been locked to T-Mobile, then I would presume they’d need to supply a NUC as a Vodafone one wouldn’t work.

Thanks

Andrew

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 14 of 17 (30,710 Views)
gooner56637

That really is no use to me. Apparently T-Mobile will only supply a code to one of their own phones. So you're saying I'm effectively left with an expensive camera and mp3 player with no way of unlocking it? I'm currently paying £25 a month for no calls, texts or data
Message 15 of 17 (30,629 Views)
Tech Team
Sukhi

Hi gooner56637

I'd recommend waiting for the NUC that has been requested for you, as there really is not much that we can do if the phone is locked to T-Mobile.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Sukhi

Message 16 of 17 (30,541 Views)
tanatoni

I too had Enter Network Lock Control Key issue recently, after updating my Galaxy S GT-I9000. I got it solved just yesterday thanks to the application called Galaxy S unlock which I got from the Play Store. The solution was amazingly simple and fast. But your phone must be rooted for it to work. I am confident that the owner of the application can help you solve your problem.

Message 17 of 17 (23,081 Views)