Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Galaxy S2 - use in China

AnnieP
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I'm looking for some advice please. I have a Galaxy S2 on a SIM only monthly contract & I'm going to China on holiday. I will be taking several domestic flights whilst I'm there & will need to do online check-ins each time (but that's another challenge!). I will also need to text/phone my daughter who is working in China to confirm our plans as we'll be meeting up as we travel - she has bought a Chinese PAYG mob. I'm terrified of running up data roaming charges, but I'll be staying in cheap accommodation where there may not be free wifi. 

Any advice on what I need to do would be much appreciated. I'm even worrying before I go that my S2 won't work in China as it's now an older phone. 

Many thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

Hi @AnnieP 

I rarely visit the Samsung Board, so have only now seen your query, and rather fear I may be too late. There is general advice on travelling abroad on http://www.vodafone.co.uk/discover-vodafone/managing-my-costs/travelling-abroad/ and specific information on Vodafone Data Traveller on http://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/pay-monthly/travelling-abroad/vodafone-data-traveller/index.htm - it's my understanding that on a SIM only contract you would qualify for that. 

I'm A PAYG customer, and unfortunately PAYG doesn't work in most areas of China, so my experience on a trip to China early last year was largely a blank as far as my phone was concerned! But it might be a wise precaution to get your phone unlocked before you go, so that you could use a local SIM if you had to. 

The only other thing I should mention was that, although I found wifi in some hotels, access to all my webmail was blocked - no access to Gmail, btinternet, or live! Though they had missed one trick - I could still use PMs via this Forum! I managed to get a message through to my brother, who registered with the Forum, and I then had one contact route open to the UK! 

Good luck with your travels! 

Further thought - I can't think of any reason why an S2 shouldn't work. There shouldn't be any problem with frequencies.