Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Galaxy S4 Lollipop upgrade

Daveo
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
I upgraded to lollipop yesterday and I have to say it's rubbish. Wifi is unstable, colours are horrible and cannot be changed, touchwiz keeps crashing for basic operations. I've basixally been left with an expensive brick. So I feel I have two options;

1. Wait for the next firmware upgrade so hopefully all these issues are fixed (the issues posted above are by no means exhaustive)

2. Downgrade to 4.4.2 somehow, amd go back to a stable OS.

I must say I am most annoyed. The reason Vodafone give for delaying firmware upgrades (like they have with lollipop) is to make sure everything works and is stable. Could someone from Vodafone please tell me why this isn't? And also could you confirm for me, based on my above 2 options, 1 - when the next firmware update will be released to fix these issues and 2 - how do I go about downgrading to 4.4.2 if necessary?
18 REPLIES 18

grishipol
1: Seeker

I'm having similar problems after doing the same upgrade.  Immediately following the upgrade the phone stopped recognising the SIM and required a restart.  I've had good days and bad but since yesterday it has failed to recognise the SIM, apart from for 5 minutes after a factory reset.  I rang Vodafone and ordered a new SIM but was told that 80% of problems are software hence the reset.

I am now downloading the various bits of software to try and knock the phone back to 4.4.2 in the hope that this solves the problem.

Lollipop bricked my phone too. I started the update on a Sunday morning and it was still going that evening. Come Monday morning and it was in a boot-loop.

Booted into safe mode and still nothing so I downloaded Odin and KitKat and got the phone back to 4.4.2.

Texts and Wi-Fi work but nearly all my apps are broken. All the apps I use [or used] extensively throw the laconic 'Unfortunately {app} has stopped'. Frustrating to say the least and a total balls up but at least I can make / receive calls and read text messages. Lollipop has reduced my S4 to nothing more than a glorified Nokia of yesteryear!

If you encounter Wi-Fi issues and a factory reset hasn't helped, try this:

From your phone keypad, enter *#0011#.  This will bring up 'Service Mode'.

Touch the menu key.

Tap 'Wi-Fi'

Turn off the Wi-Fi power save mode.

Exit

I had received two lollipop updates for my S4, the first ones caused chaos on my phone but the second has fixed the lot. Just a bit of stuttering and connectivity issues but the rest is fine

B ... When did you get the second one? I've not received that one yet.

B-12345
11: Established
11: Established
Hi, I received the second one about 3 weeks ago, the first one was at the start of April. Have you manually checked for it?

That'll be the one that bricked my device.

A manual check reckons I've got the latest updates.  I've not tried via Kies but will do so later.

I can make and receive calls and texts but that's about it. Chrome and most other apps [Outlook] fall over pretty much as soon as I start them.

Cheers, thanks for your input mate!

Just another point, I have heard that a factory reset and then reinstalling lollipop has fixed everything. I haven't tried it though so I can't comment further on that.

Good luck!! :Smiling:

That's something I have not tried and will give that a bash before trying the Kies route [which I didn't get round to yesterday].

Thanks for that!

Cheers.

Post on here if you're successful, I'm intrigued