Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Galaxy S5 - unresponsive after flashing green screen

Areandes
3: Seeker

HI There,

About a week ago the screen of my Samsung Galaxy S 5 starting flashing bright green. It initially happened when I was sitting in front of a fan, and when I moved away the flashes stopped so I didn't think too much of it. The flashes got more intense, and this morning when I went to "wake" the phone up after charging overnight it won't turn on. If I press the button on the right side, the indicator light flashes green. I asked someone to phone me and although the phone vibrates, nothing comes on the screen.

Please help.

Thanks, Sue

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

It sounds like the screen is faulty or there is a loose connection.  This can be remedied by sending the device off to Vodafone for repair.

You can also use a Samsung Repair Center if you wish.  I personally prefer to deal directly with the manufacturer when it comes to repairs. 

PWIAC

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

drey_p

Hi there

It sounds like the screen is faulty or there is a loose connection.  This can be remedied by sending the device off to Vodafone for repair.

You can also use a Samsung Repair Center if you wish.  I personally prefer to deal directly with the manufacturer when it comes to repairs. 

PWIAC

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
Hi

Welcome to the eForum

How long have you owned the phone?

It has a warranty of two years.

I assume you have tried a hard reset ?

Beware this deletes any dabbed data in the phones memory.

If you find that the touchscreen is unresponsive, there’s a problem accessing the menu, or maybe you forgot your pattern lock, then you can still factory reset your S5 using the hardware keys.
Turn the Galaxy S5 off.
Now press and hold the Volume up button, the Home button, and the Power button together until you see the Android on screen.
Now use Volume down to highlight the wipe data/factory reset option and press the Power button to select it.
Use Volume down again to highlight Yes – delete all user data and press Power to select it.
Wait until you see the reboot system now option and then use the Power button to select it.
When the S5 restarts it should be completely wiped and ready to set up again.

I too would support contacting the manufacturer as they know their hardware and software better than a 3rd party repair centre.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

The S5 was launched less than 2 years ago so it will be in warranty which is why I was suggesting it was sent off for repair.  Also, from what the person has described it is a problem with the screen - something that a hard reset won't cure and they won't be able to do as they can't see the screen....

PWIAC

Areandes
Thanks for all your responses.

Weirdly - after a couple of hours my phone finally woke up! The screen still flashes green from time to time, so I will probably still get it checked out.

I was wondering feeing if I have been overcharging it? I do tend to have it on charge over night

Thanks again for your help, Sue xx

drey_p

@Areandes wrote:
I was wondering feeing if I have been overcharging it? I do tend to have it on charge over night

Possibly, but it is supposed to have overcharging protection to prevent that from happening. 

What you describe sounds like a loose connection which is why the screen works one moment but not the next.

PWIAC

hrym

One way to check that the overcharge protection is working OK is to feel the charger.   When it's working normally, it'll be noticeably warm to the touch.   Once overcharge kicks in, it should cool apppreciably.  If it doesn't, try a different charger.  If it persists after that, get the phone checked out.

There's something else you ought to check, too.  Samsung have had problems with some of their batteries, which swell and can put pressure on the electronics.  That could be the cause of the green flashes.  Take the battery out (when the phone's off) and lay it on a flat surface.   If you can rock it, talk to Samsung quickly about a replacement.  It's a known issue and they've ben pretty good about it.