Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 46: Oracle V
jeffkinn
Accepted Solution

Samsung Galaxy email

I am thinking of migrating to the Galaxy from the iPhone. Email is very important to me and I have a few questions and would appreciate your advice:

1. Can you have multiple email accounts including multiple Exchange accounts?

2. If you can have multiple email accounts, is there a unified inbox or does each account have its own inbox?

3. Are email accounts updated using push or fetch (to use iPhone terminology)?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 1 of 19 (3,532 Views)
Rank 11: Helper V
picadillyjim

Re: Samsung Galaxy email

[ Edited ]

1. Can you have multiple email accounts including multiple Exchange accounts?

Yes. Well, I used to have two Exchange accounts in my HTC Desire HD, and I assume that it holds true for all Android phones.

2. If you can have multiple email accounts, is there a unified inbox or does each account have its own inbox?

Each have their own inbox, but you can see them all in one inbox if you like. Samsung also has something called Email Hub, where you can see all your emails and messages in one place, or you can just opt to use the Email client. There are n number of email clients in the app market if you are not happy with the stock client. SOme people talk very highly about K 9 email client.

I have set my polling frequency to once a day, you can set it to poll more frequently - 5 mins for example.

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 19 (3,530 Views)
Rank 44: Oracle III
Nabs

picadillyjim wrote:

I have set my polling frequency to once a day, you can set it to poll more frequently - 5 mins for example.

Just to add to this one Android does support push email when using MS exchange accounts.

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 3 of 19 (3,485 Views)
jeffkinn

Thanks Nabs - first time I've been tempted by an Android as I love my iPhone but the S3 does look good and maybe I fancy a change. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 4 of 19 (3,481 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

Yes you do need to come over to the Human side of thinking

You will have no regrets and the freedom to do what ever you want

and Boy what a phone to make the switch

Message 5 of 19 (3,478 Views)
jeffkinn

Tell me without too much prejudice (:smileyhappy:) why Android is bette than iPhone? There are no more loyal fans that Apple fanbois (this does not include me) but I have loved my iPhone 4 for the last two years.

Why should I change when the new iPhone is due out later in the year?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 6 of 19 (3,475 Views)
Nabs

jeffkinn,

Take a look at the journey iPhone has taken from day1...

iphone1.jpg

...to now...

iphone4s.jpg

Wow look familiar?

Apple have changed pretty much nothing about the way the iPhone works, ok they have added new features but the iPhone for me has just been the same old grid of icons with huge restrictions over what you can do with the phone. 

Not to mention the Apple Tax you pay on each handset.

Google and in turn Android manufacturers have kept the system fresh bringing  new features and big changes to the look and feel of the system with every major update. There is so much you can customise on Android you could almost create yourself a new phone every week!

Thats why I love my Android phone, openness to do what I want, not what a copmany wants me to do!

Message 7 of 19 (3,461 Views)
Rank 11: Helper V
picadillyjim

My Phone is not so much a phone, as a personal device which also allows me to make calls. I mostly like to read stuff on my phone. The various bigger sized screen options in Android  help. I like to have some information at my finger tips that I can access without clicking too many buttons. Android phones from HTC and Samsung allow me to customize my homescreen with various widgets and shortcuts. Android phones also have built in facility of file management. I can, for example, make my own ebooks and place them in folders so that I can read them using various ebook readers. Andorid phones let me make some quick adjustments to settings from the home page itself. It has some reasonably good GPS navigation for free.

And all of these at a definite fraction of the cost of the iphone.

In sum, I guess it is the freedom to customize the phone as you want it.

Having said that if you are a major app user, I do find average iphone app to be of slightly better quality. I still have not found replacements for a handful of apps I used on my iphone long ago.

From the looks of the new S3, it would be a very good phone to transition from the iphone.

Hope you make the best decision for you.

Message 8 of 19 (3,455 Views)
jeffkinn

My iPhone is also a handheld computer that also makes phone calls. The points made about customisation are on the point although the ability to customise ringtones and SMS tones has taken away the biggest gripe I had. And yes the design has remained the same.

But it can also be said that there is no point in changing a winning formula and the fact that hundreds of millions of iPhones have been sold and it remains pre-eminent in the world of smart phones is testament to its success.

Also these things are very subjective - with each fan base defending itself with a quasi religious fervour.

I agree with the Apple tax - their products are excellent but oh so expensive. Also I have had a Windows phone, a Blackberry and an iPhone and now perhaps I should try an Android.

But I am worried because the iPhone is so excellent at what it does and the native apps as well as third party apps are terrific. Can Android devices match that functionality let alone exceed it?

I have already mentioned the ability to support multiple email accounts as well as my sat nav and other useful apps such as Pocket Informant. I am not a game player so that aspect of the device does not interest me.

I have started to use my iPhone more extensively as an Ipod and I wouldn't want to lose that funtionality.

I may try and get my hands on an S3 and see what it feels and looks like. Also for the sake of a few extra weeks I will probably wait for the new iteration of the iPhone and see how it compares in terms of specs and performance.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 9 of 19 (3,445 Views)
Nabs

jeffkinn wrote:

But it can also be said that there is no point in changing a winning formula and the fact that hundreds of millions of iPhones have been sold and it remains pre-eminent in the world of smart phones is testament to its success.

You could also argue that as with any Apple products there is an air of "oh my firend has one so i must have it" which has lead to the sucess. One thing Apple are really good at is creating huge hype! Something Samsung and others have still not quite managed to match.

jeffkinn wrote:

But I am worried because the iPhone is so excellent at what it does and the native apps as well as third party apps are terrific. Can Android devices match that functionality let alone exceed it?

Without doubt it can be matched in one form or another, either with thenative apps or those from 3rd parties

jeffkinn wrote:

I have already mentioned the ability to support multiple email accounts as well as my sat nav and other useful apps such as Pocket Informant. I am not a game player so that aspect of the device does not interest me.

I'm not sure what sat nav you use but all Android handset come with Google Navigation built in and the is a huge array of popular navigation apps available on the Play Store: Navigation Application.

The Pocket Informant app you mention is available for Android, again in the Play Store: Pocket Informant.

I have used iPhones and Android phones of various flavours and I can definatly say that I prefer Android. It really is something of personal preference though and I can understand why people would think the opposite.

Message 10 of 19 (3,437 Views)
jeffkinn

I use Navigon which is also available for Android but it adds to the expense of changing platforms.

I am also aware that PI is available for Android as well and although it is cheaper than a full sat nav package it is an extra added expense. I wouldn't say that the prospect of having to buy those programs again would stop me from switching but it does have to enter into the decision making process.

I also agree that Apple are excellent at producing hype - but you don't sell hundreds of millions of phones or iPads based on hype alone. if that were true Macs would be outselling PCs and that is never likely to happen. The fact is that iPhones and iPads are wonderful pieces of kit - which doesn't mean that other devices cnnot be equally wonderful.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 11 of 19 (3,434 Views)
Nabs

[ Edited ]

jeffkinn wrote:

I use Navigon which is also available for Android but it adds to the expense of changing platforms.

I am also aware that PI is available for Android as well and although it is cheaper than a full sat nav package it is an extra added expense. I wouldn't say that the prospect of having to buy those programs again would stop me from switching but it does have to enter into the decision making process.

I use Navfree, its a fantastic sat nav app and doesnt cost a penny, even for the offline maps. Ironicly it has better ratings than Navigon on the Play Store despite the fact that Navigon is £50!

EDIT: fair play it doesnt have as many feature but the core function, getting you from a to b, is exactly the same.

jeffkinn wrote:

I also agree that Apple are excellent at producing hype - but you don't sell hundreds of millions of phones or iPads based on hype alone. if that were true Macs would be outselling PCs and that is never likely to happen. The fact is that iPhones and iPads are wonderful pieces of kit - which doesn't mean that other devices cnnot be equally wonderful.

I think the £1000 starting price is the killer there. Having  been trained by Apple on the ins and outs of the Mac,  I would love one but it's the price that stops me, I cannot warrant spending so much money on a computer when i can get something equivelent spec for 1/3 the price. With iPhones and arguably the iPad, they are available on subsidised contracts, hence the large cost is not initially realised to the customer, makes it easier to handle.

Message 12 of 19 (3,427 Views)
jeffkinn

It was because it has offiline maps and only cost £40 that mader me choose Navigon on the iPhone and I have been very pleased with it.

I won't get into the MAc v PC argument because it gets too emotive - Android v iOS is bad enough. Do you ever look at the Apple discussions forums? - the people there are so rude to each other and everyone and everything else - they talk about Androgenous and Windoze. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 13 of 19 (3,423 Views)
Northern-dj

Copilot £29.95 and off line maps

Oh

And NavFree that has offline maps and totaly free after you turn your data off

No need to Jail brake here !!!!!!

With Android You have Multiple Manufacture all doing there own thing or should i say all able to do there own thing!!!

You don't need Itunes and that is a waste of space of a software program

All android work like a usb stick

Oh and you don't have to stand in a massive que to buy one that is basicly the same as your last one

Oh and with android You can do this

Yes your phone can be a full computer and this is a Four year old spec device

One thing You Get with a Android User were proud of our devices

Apple fan Boys are allways defending there Phone

Fact and proven on the Pro Apple show the Gadget Show

Even a Windows device is more advanced as the Iphone 4 S

The Problem is that the press is allways Pro Apple Manly as they get free devices, will never back android almost as if there held to a patent or somthing

All This from a X Apple Iphone 3S User that saw the light and has never looked back

Message 14 of 19 (3,408 Views)
jeffkinn

Well DJ - they say there is no one more zealous than a convert and you certainly prove that :smileyhappy: I do not for a second buy into Apple fanboydom. I've never owned a mac and never will. But the iPhone is a fantastic piece of kit and its phenomenal success is not because the Gadget show or any show or magazine has promoted it. I neither defend or promote my phone. Each to their own but the iPhone is and remains the standard by which other smart phones are judged. From what can see Android phones in general and the Samsung in particular comes out well in that judging process. The fact that there are several flavours of Android spread across different manufacturers is both a positive and a negative. It does worry me to some extent. Apple is very controlling but that control does bring a lot of stability. I am still thinking about it.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 15 of 19 (3,401 Views)
Northern-dj

Well cnet UK who happen to be Apple fans did the comparison
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/samsung-galaxy-s3-vs-apple-iphone-4s-vs-htc-one-x-50007834/

Message 16 of 19 (3,390 Views)
jeffkinn

I've already see that review but thanks for the link. What intrigues me is the 'who happen to be Apple fans' comment. On what is that based? If they have complimented Apple products in the past is it because they have been better than the competition rather than on Apple's pocket?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 17 of 19 (3,375 Views)
jeffkinn

DJ - I saw this today and thought of you

More evidence of Apple wanting to achieve world domination and supress free speech. Or is it just good sounds business sense? :smileyhappy:

http://www.cultofmac.com/165317/apple-wants-to-own-iphone5-com/

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 18 of 19 (3,367 Views)
Northern-dj

The "Who happen to be Apple fan boys " comment comes from how the press report on other mobiles, not being fare to other manufactures the biggest was the Gadget show even if the iphone failed on the tests it still won, the last one even the Nokia beat it on the tests they set up.
They also did a so called test on 4G in London they had two devices a 4G Motorola and a iphone4s but they said the iphone worked better on 4G iphone have not made a 4G phone.
The press do not like a phone to come out and beat the iphone the S3 has infact the S2 did Apple did make and pros still do make good technology but is the whole package the dirty tricks and the brain washing
people that have mad the brake never go back.

Message 19 of 19 (3,320 Views)