Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Note 2 - repair

y2w902
4: Newbie

Hi, 

I had my Note 2 sent for repair last tuesday, as it randomly froze and then when trying to restart the phone, it would not get past the samsung logo.

I went back to the store today as that was the estimated date the return would be complete and I had no phone for notification of if it had been completed and back at the store.

I was told that it was deemed out of warranty as it had been rooted and a repair would cost £190. Apparently the PCB board has been damaged as a result of it being rooted? Makes no sense but anyway I have since asked for it to be returned.

Could someone from Vodafone please send me evidence of the fact the phone has been rooted? 

24 REPLIES 24

That isn't the case at all though, is it? Vodafone sold me the phone. Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, my contract is with them, not Samsung. It is up to Vodafone to prove that the fault was not present at the point of sale. All I am asking Vodafone to do is supply further details about the fault (i.e. the thing that actually resulted in them needing to replace the PCB). If it can be demonstrated that I caused the damage, I will have to accept this, though it will be up to me if I decide to get a second opinion. If it is indeed caused by the eMMC bug then under SOGA it is up to Vodafone to repair or replace the handset. If they need to send it to Samsung to do this then it is up to Vodafone to organise that.

All I am getting at the moment is 'the handset is no longer under warranty as it has been rooted' and 'it needs a new PCB, the repair will cost £190'. Neither statement answers the questions that I have a right to ask and Vodafone has a responsibility to answer. 'The phone has been rooted' doesn't describe the nature of the fault, just the get-out-clause for the warranty.

I'm not accusing Vodafone employees of being deliberately misleading - I genuinely believe that CS don't have any more information. What I cannot understand is why I can't get access to any further information? Who in Vodafone has the power to retrieve the requested information from the repair company? CS didn't get any further than I did when they phoned the Engineering Team on my behalf.

hrym
17: Community Champion

Well, yes, you could indeed assert your consumer rights.  It might take you longer to get your phone fixed, and you may still find that the outcome is the same: that something you've done, however unwittingly, has technically invalidated your warranty.

Our assumption here is that what you want most of all is a fix and going to Samsung will get you this the most quickly.  However,we may have misunderstood, in which case I apologise and suggest you start consulting lawyers.

thesoupdragon

From what I understand, this memory chip error causes the phone to trigger the "Modified" status.

Such as when you install a Custom Recovery like ClockworkMod.

Even though the owner of the Phone has never Rooted or installed any type of modification, to the engineer it would appear as though they have.

In this instance I would be inclined to talk to Samsung directly and ask for the Phone to go to a second Tier repair centre.

My experience with Samsung repair was very good, even the woman on the Phone was very knowledgeable. I was able to relay a very similar issue with my Wife's Galaxy Note and I was able to give a comprehensive outline of the fault.

It's obviously up to you where you go for your repair, this is just my opinion... :smileyhappy:

apparently this seems to be a common fault on note 2

Regards

thesoupdragon

I think it has affected quite a few Samsung devices TBH. My Galaxy S3 has the memory chip that could become faulty, it has stopped me from rooting and customising the Phone just in case it becomes faulty. :smileysad:

Just thought I would let people know, Samsung did indeed repair my phone and the manner in which they did it was superb. A one week turnaround after calling them Monday late afternoon, I received on wednesday, a Royal Mail Special Delivery pack to send the phone to the labelled address which I did on Thursday. On monday i got notification that the repair was done and would be arriving back to me the next day. Very professional and very very impressive.

I didn't even receive a response from a vodafone member on here with regards to my query, it is looking very likely after 7 years of being a loyal customer, I will be parting ways when my contract ends.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi y2w902,

Thanks for posting to let us know that this has now been repaired.

On the forum we have a brilliant team of community experts who’re there to help other posters.

We’re alerted to every single post that comes onto the forum, however if our community experts have already resolved this or have provided the information that the original poster needs, there isn’t any need for us to post as well.

We’ve not posted on here simply because there hasn’t been anything further for us to add.

If you do need any further help though, please feel free to post back.

Thanks,

Jenny 

hrym

Y'see, it's not all bad news and you saved all those legal bills!

I have got the same problem with my note 2 - apparently i have rooted it, but have not, although mine was via Virgin (and then to samsung, who said it was rooted, but they wouldn't tell me the hows or whys) - yet when i took it to their technician nearby, he basically laughed at the scrfeen and said the phone wasn't rooted at all, and the repair centers needed to sort their crap out

It was then sent back to Samsung, and instead of rooted, it came back as saying that the phone was set to 'custom' (so no longer rooted eh?) but still no explanation of what this actually meant - joy

If you ever figure out this issue, i am more than interested, as my note 2 has been in limbo over 5 weeks of this rubbish now (and short of losing it or similar to claim on insurance there seems to be no resolution to this problem in sight >.<)

Settings on my phone are everything set to OFFICIAL, with Custom Binary Download set to : NO, and the current system status set to : CUSTOM (which apparently can be affected by a fair few apps, and is not considered as the phone being rooted according to the tech guys) - so i am at a loss myself, but if i figre anything out, i will post here for you :Winking_smiley:

satchef1
4: Newbie

@y2w902

Could you contact the executive's office about your experiences? I have done so already - Samsung repaired my handset, found no evidence of rooting. Potentially Vodafone's repair partner is acing fraudulently (it isn't unheard of in the industry). Either that, or their testing process is inadequate. Either way, it seems that it's something that needs to be looked in to. There is no reason why Vodafone should be refusing repairs that Samsung are happy to action.