Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Note 3 forgets Wi-Fi settings, including the network and passwords

smsngnote3
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My Samsung Note 3 keeps forgetting Wi-Fi settings, including the network name and passwords, meaning that I have to retype in the network names and passwords for my home and office Wi-Fi networks every day.  I also keep getting messages (pretty much every second minute) that the network is unstable.  A colleague of mine has got the same phone with the same settings but he has no problems with his phone. This has to be a hardware problem, right? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I contacted Smasung directly and I got the following reply:

the issues you are having have come from the Software upgrade that you have performed on your Galaxy Note. This has happened because whenever a software update is performed over a wireless connection the signal is not always a constant feed. 

The signal over a wireless connection Peaks [high signal] and Troughs [low signal] and if it is downloading information like when performing an update and the signal drops too low for too long then it can cause the firmware to download incorrectly which causes Operational Issues. 

The best resolution for this issue will be to have the device re-flashed, meaning re-installing the software back onto the device properly using a hardware connection. This will ensure that the connection to your device is constant and the software will download correctly eliminating any possibilities of having any operational issues. 

View solution in original position

16 REPLIES 16

63johnw
17: Community Champion

First thing I would try is a factory reset, I know it is a bit of a pain but it can cure a host of problems.

Back up any important stuff first though.

I forgot to say that I did a factory re-set already. The problem only affects some networks but not all. It is all very bizarre. 

63johnw

Have you tried putting the phone in recovery mode, switch off, then press power button, volume up and home buttons all at the same time, once the phone starts up scroll down with volume key to wipe cache partition then select with power button then reboot phone.

I have and I still keep getting "your netowork is unstable" messages. Too early to say if this solved the problem with Wi-Fi settings. 

thesoupdragon

There is an option in settings that lets the Phone automatically switch from WiFi to Data in case of low signal.

When the Phone detects a drop in signal strength it can trigger this message. You can turn off this auto switching option which should get rid of the annoying pop up.

The autoswitch is already off but I keep getting these messages. Any ideas?

thesoupdragon
When the message pops up, is there a tick box to say don't show this message again?
I'm struggling to remember what it looked like?

I contacted Smasung directly and I got the following reply:

the issues you are having have come from the Software upgrade that you have performed on your Galaxy Note. This has happened because whenever a software update is performed over a wireless connection the signal is not always a constant feed. 

The signal over a wireless connection Peaks [high signal] and Troughs [low signal] and if it is downloading information like when performing an update and the signal drops too low for too long then it can cause the firmware to download incorrectly which causes Operational Issues. 

The best resolution for this issue will be to have the device re-flashed, meaning re-installing the software back onto the device properly using a hardware connection. This will ensure that the connection to your device is constant and the software will download correctly eliminating any possibilities of having any operational issues. 

Update: my phone developed the problem with forgetting Wi-fi settings again after the handset being re-flashed. The handset is now with Samsung and has been re-flashed again (although this did not fix the problem in the first place) and they have not been able to find a fault. Needless to say, they refuse to give me a replacement phone even if they are unable to fix the problem. My Vodafone contract runs out in 2 months and I find it outrageous that Vodafone sold me a faulty handset. Beaware!!