Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung S3 is this normal charge time?

wigster
4: Newbie

At odd times my S3 seemed to be taking far to long to charge sometimes hanging on 99%,So i did a factory reset and it still seemed slow to charge,Last thing i did was to wipe the partition cache,I put the phone on charge when it was at 38% and its taken 3 hours and 50 minutes to charge to 100% does that sound about right?

This is charging from the mains with the charger that came with the S3.

Thanks.

40 REPLIES 40

Northern-dj
16: Advanced member

Ok read this and some good advice so here is my bit

The Battery has a Chip that tells the phone its fully charged

Now over charging a battery is Dangeroiuse

No the phone has two ways of charging the Software and the hard ware

The software is don with the phone on and controls the charge

the secound is with the phone off

the phones bios has a charger in it

Now if the battery is out of life then you need to swop it

on reading what has happend it does point to the Battery

Thanks guys:smileywink:

Your answers prompted me to go to my local vodafone shop,I now have a battery being sent to me free of charge,But i wasn't to sure of his advice about running the new battery as low as 10% each time and then once a month let it run flat so it turns off then charge it. This is from the tech desk team.

Also told the guy about my dropped calls problem and now have a new sim.

63johnw
17: Community Champion
Definitely do not let it run flat. That is wrong.

hope your problems are sorted soon.

Yes when he said that i thought how much do you really know,He didn't really listen when i said about the charging,I said its taking alot longer to charge so he took my chagrer and plugged it in the phone and said look its charging nothing wrong with your charger then he pluggued it in another phone and said look its charging so its the battery. Never mind if he didn't listen this time as its a free battery im getting.

Northern-dj
Ok there is a lot about not letting your battery go bellow 10% but there will come a time when it is
Don't panic switch energy saver plus on 10% gives you a day and a half
But when you come to charge do this in esm or off
Samsung have tested this but only on this phone
Do not do this regular tho

Hi Northern-dj

You mentioned to switch energy saver plus. Is this an app?

63johnw

In settings, my device there is a power saving option, not sure if thats what NDJ means ?

Northern-dj

Sorry energy saver plus is on the S4 Note3 and S5

But as i herd this Morning From samsung the S3 May be getting a Heavily toned down Kitkat or a Kitkat look alike simular to what they did on the Galaxy S and the Energy Saver plus will be on this puts the phone into basic mode there is no date when this is Happerning, But they have seen since the S3 did not get KitKat it has hurt there sales.

But Energy saving is on the S3 and does help

the 15% will not be enough to power the phone for long

Now the phone does have a cut off which is 5% were it shuts down

Now this thing about not letting this run flat, i had to power up my old Galaxy S four year old and that worked fine.

Battery care seems to play a better part i have found with customers that repaeted top up charges Damages the batteries more

Now this can mean that if it does drop bellow 15% the battery can coupe

getting two years out of a battery is well a Victory

Got the new battery today but didn't have any charge in it at all,I dont think it is the battery because i left it on charge for a hour and it hardly moved so i took the charger connection out of the phone then plugged it back in and it jumped straight to 50% charge,Now its been on charge for 2hours 40 minutes and its only about 70%.

63johnw
I would contact a samsung service centre and ask for a warranty repair (assuming its under 2 years old)

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/servicelocation/