Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
blueglove

Samsung galaxy Data charges????

I recently got this phone and liked the set up of it and was happy with my tarrif where i purchased it i allways get great service , i did not want internet as tend to only have time for it at home due to work, i down graded my monthly payments to suit , but now find my monthy bills are HUGE and found out today because i am being charged for data transfer's this is outragous and i spoke to customer servises and they were so unhelpful and i am still getting a big bills, what do i do i realy feel being charged almost a pound a day shocking and had no idea!

Message 1 of 17 (5,310 Views)
Tech Team
Dave

Re: Samsung galaxy Data charges????

Hi blueglove,

Any data usage over the network would either come out of a data allowance or be charged if there was no allowance left or in place - you'll find the details about all our Mobile Internet charging options here. To avoid charges when accessing data, you'd need to be using Wi-Fi rather than the Vodafone network. If you have a wireless network at home, you'll be able to connect your handset to that.

Alternatively, we can take a look to see what can be done to address your data allowance on the bill - it may involve a small raise in the cost to add more data, but a small regular charge has to beat a larger one. Just reply back to the email I'm sending and we'll be able to contact you to discuss options.

Dave

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 2 of 17 (5,252 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
thesoupdragon

@blueglove

You don't say which Samsung Galaxy you are using, is it the Galaxy S or Galaxy SII or Galaxy Ace...

Anyway, if you long press on the power button, a menu should appear. You will see an option to turn off Data.

This will not disable Wifi, only the mobile internet connection.

You will find that until you are connected to your home Wifi that many features of your phone will be unavailable.

I would recommend a small internet Data allowence on your contract. This will allow your phone to give you the full Smart Phone experience!

Why not join us in the "Samsung Galaxy Series" Board. We would love to see you there!

TSD

Wink.gif

Autism_sig.png

Message 3 of 17 (5,229 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

I spotted this when I took my contract out I have 1.5g But only use about 250mb

Any one on a less then 500MB plane does not get a offer if they go over 

Vodafone are supposed to look at your phone usage and advise you on what is the best plan 

Vodafone is loosing customers of smart phones to the "3" Network as they have unlimited internet and you don't get a massive bill

as soup said Shut that data down, We should not have to do this but eventually they will get the message 

Google Looked into why people were not using there navigation Well Because of Data capping 

Networks Use the excuse that its a fare use policy how is it fare that you use a smart phone for brousing and facebook then you run out of data and get stung a massive bill and moninoring it is 72 hours out of date.

My wife  use 2.3GB of internet so at Vodafone prices she would have a massive bill

Message 4 of 17 (5,201 Views)
blueglove

I have been with Vodafone for years , but i am thinking of joining another network as i have never had problems before but feel these large bills i have recived a very very unfair and i feel so upset as i have never had problems with my bill , capping the phone to stop the data does not pay the unfair charges i have built up totaly unkown to me and i am now overdrawn in my bank! 

Message 5 of 17 (5,137 Views)
thesoupdragon

Hi blueglove

Did you reply to Dave's email...?

Unfortunately it doesn't matter which carrier you decide to go with. You will have the same problem.:smileysad:

You are using a Smart Phone! it is designed to connect to the internet to synchronise Data.

You NEED to have a Data allowance on your Tariff or TURN OFF the Data capability of the Phone and just use it's Wifi ability. 

I appreciate this does not help with the bills you have incurred, but may help to reduce future expense!:smileywink:

Hopefully the Team will be able to give you some helpful advice regarding your account.:smileyhappy:

TSD:smileywink:

Autism_sig.png

Message 6 of 17 (5,132 Views)
blueglove

Thank you for the reply , i dont recall a email from dave but anything that can help keep my phone bills down will be cool i am now overdrawn and cannot afford more like this!

Message 7 of 17 (5,123 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V
ado28

blueglove wrote:

Thank you for the reply , i dont recall a email from dave but anything that can help keep my phone bills down will be cool i am now overdrawn and cannot afford more like this!

The email sent will be in the account that you registered on the forum with. Failing that you can PM Dave instead :smileywink:

For hints, tips and flashing guides, visit my youtube page www.youtube.com/puggereduk
Message 8 of 17 (5,118 Views)
Rank 14: Guide III
jimc130

@blueglove, you are having a go at VF but I cant see that they have done anything wrong in this instance. I assume from what you wrote that you made the decision to have no data incuded in your plan. You have the phone, you have the instruction booklet. It is pretty clear in there about the icons which appear on the top line on your phone, which tells you what it is doing, and pretty clear in the booklet that if you connect to the web you will be charged for data. And if you dont have the data turned off, it is looking to connect!

Read the instructions, it saves a lot of hassle.

SGS I9000
Rom : CyanogenMod 9 nightlies

Message 9 of 17 (5,113 Views)
thesoupdragon

@Jim

ROFL.gifDon't mince your words, just say what you think...!Very Happy.gif

Perhaps I'm a bit more sympathetic because I've just helped my Father in Law get a Galaxy Ace.

Trying to explain about constant Data usage was like putting my hand into a waste disposal unit and explaining Einstein's theory of relativity in Chinese!Crazy.gif

Autism_sig.png

Message 10 of 17 (5,110 Views)
ado28

thesoupdragon wrote:

Trying to explain about constant Data usage was like putting my hand into a waste disposal unit and explaining Einstein's theory of relativity in Chinese!Crazy.gif

Just don't stick yer napper in to a bin in London Soup otherwise it may talk back to you lol. See this article on sky news :smileysurprised:

For hints, tips and flashing guides, visit my youtube page www.youtube.com/puggereduk
Message 11 of 17 (5,106 Views)
Northern-dj

Hey My dad saw the watchdog report on data charges in Europe and he said 

Look its not Just Rip Off Briton you carn't get away from them when you go abroud they skin you there as well

My dads phone has no data as he does not want it and its pay as you go and he still can not txt

But there all the same Bar "3" But there slow but you get unlimited so you can use a smart phone for what its there for. 

Best fix Join Bt internet at Home and you get unlimited internet on the BTfon Network and its fast and VOIP calls are free i Video call my wife at work for nothing I also have Virginmedia as well but here work pays the BT one lol

My data us is low at the moment with VF But its there when i need it 

Message 12 of 17 (5,103 Views)
Rank 14: Guide III
jimc130

Hi Soup..I would back up anybody who is in the position of being unfairly treated by any company, but on the information given that does not seem to be the case.

But I believe that Vodafone can be a fair-minded company and if the fella gets in contact with them perhaps they can work something out. :smileywink:

SGS I9000
Rom : CyanogenMod 9 nightlies

Message 13 of 17 (5,083 Views)
ado28

+1 I have to agree with Jim and Soup here. With all due respect why buy a smart phone if you don't intend on using it to its potential. Just about everything on the phone apart from making calls and sending texts require an internet connection of some sort. Yes you can surf for free in wifi mode but the manual clearly shows you how to operate the phone's internet features. I don't think ignorance will work for you I'm afraid. Vodafone are pretty clear with regards to their data charges

Message 14 of 17 (5,077 Views)
Northern-dj

jimc130 wrote:

Hi Soup..I would back up anybody who is in the position of being unfairly treated by any company, but on the information given that does not seem to be the case.

But I believe that Vodafone can be a fair-minded company and if the fella gets in contact with them perhaps they can work something out. :smileywink:

Jim is right on Vodafone you may find asking to speak to a supervisor as this needs a experianced person i did this and i got a extra 500mb free 

so Be nice and no shouting gets ya no were 

As For networks Vodafone and three as for Your Bills have had Very good reports Even watchdog was impressed

The only snag is data use is not as easy to figure out, as facebook and twiter and emails are encripted so they carn't see whats been using the data 

Did you get a txt saying your close to your limit ? and offering you a extra 500MB for a £5 if you didn't you should of and that need pointing out and get them to check on that, It should also be on your account that it offered you this and it is well worth taking up as this covers any unbilled data which as vodafone are allways 72 hours out of data it does help

What i thought and three network do is data cap if you go over then it stops and they send a txt telling you 

Message 15 of 17 (5,073 Views)
Jam
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
Jam

When ever I am coming close to exceeding my data allowance I get a text message telling me so. I don't know if this is something you need to turn on somewhere, but that would have helped. It might also be useful to find an app that tells you what is using your data.
Message 16 of 17 (5,048 Views)
Northern-dj

Some people on 1G network allowence get a txt but its the one on lower that don't , and it seems to be them that are getting charged the most.

Message 17 of 17 (5,044 Views)