cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung galaxy s4 mini quad core processor(!) - phone user guide?

Lizzyda
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have just received my new galaxy s4 mini from vodafone.  Unexpectedly it says it has a 1.2GHz quad core processor which I wasn't expecting. And the user guide on the vodafone website and other websites doesn't reflect the way my phone works.  For example, the left hand bottom button on mine is how you close apps, whereas I believe its the settings or menu button usually?  

My questions is, does anyone else have this version of the s4 mini and if so do you have any instructions for using this version of the phone?  I've contacted vodafone who don't seem convinced that that my phone doesn't match the dual core one advertised.  All I was asking for was some instructions how to use it.  They said I should contact the returns team for an exchange of phone, however I've tried a couple of times and there is no direct link to the returns team on the automated system when you ring 191, and it seems inpossible to actually get through to someone to speak to.

Any help appreciated

3 REPLIES 3

hrym
17: Community Champion

I wouldn't expect the way an Android device works to be fundamantally different from one model, or even make, to another in terms of the main operations.   I haven't used a recent Samsung device, but they usually have the back and recent apps buttons reversed (the ones where I've updated the firmware have lost the dedicated menu button now that apps include one).   They seem to have gone back to a hardware Home key.

Some devices now have the option to change the way the navigation buttons are set up - it's usually under Personalisation in the main Settings menu.  if yours does, then you may be able to choose what you want.

If you have a quad rather than dual core processor, it sounds like a specification update, which can only be good.  Hand-in-hand with this there may well be a later version of Android (though, again, the outward differences are usually small).   I assume you've looked on the Samsung UK website for a manual, too?)   I suppose it's possibel this is an early release and the manuals haven't caught up, but that would be odd.

Thanks for this.  Yes it has 4.4.4, so an upgrade on the ones on the vodafone UK website.  Maybe that's why their manual is different online.  And as you say, I have no dedicated menu key etc.  So it looks like its just an upgraded version with the website lagging behind. I was used to a very old Sony which was very different, so the lack of a manual caused some initial problems, but I think I've mastered most of the things I need now.

hrym

I've taken a couple of Samsung devices from Gingerbread and ICS to late Jellybean.   The differences are small and mostly cosmetic - obviously there's a lot more "under the hood", but it's the interface you notice.

The most noticeable thing was the lack of a dedicated menu key (which I think was Samsung-specific anyway) and its replacement by a recent apps one.  This latter is more useful now, especially on older devices with limited memory, that apps have a menu option built in (three lines and/or three dots at the top left and right of the screen).