Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Strange one

mancman
4: Newbie

I have a galaxy note 4 not long ago I had a missed call I called the number back and they said they'd had a missed call from me when I checked my call log I hadn't called that number. Then yesterday my phone was ringing with an in coming call from my Mrs who was sat opposite me when we looked at her phone there was no call being made. She is on a different network any ideas please

3 REPLIES 3

hrym
17: Community Champion

Did you manage to answer the second call?  My initial inclination would be that the phone is displaying the wrong caller ID.  This could be a memory issue, so try:

1. Clear recent apps.

2. In Settings|Appps, Clear Data in the Contacts app.

3. If that fails, you might consider a factory reset, especially if this has started happening after a firmware update.  Don't forget to back up your content first, of course.

mancman
4: Newbie
I think I'll do the reset I've heard of a hard reset and factory reset any chance you could tell me the difference please

hrym

They're pretty much the same thing.  There are options that involve pulling the battery while the device is on, but that's not, I believe, what's needed here.  A factory reset puts the device back into it's out-of-the box state, though with whatever version of the firmware it was running (ie including updates) at the time.  It clears app and system caches, which I suspect are the problem here.  You'll find the option in the Settings menu, often under Security or Storage.

I suggested clearing data on the Contacts app as that might solve the issue if it's confined to that area.  However, if you've done a firmware update, bits of the old code can hang around and confuse the system, causing all sorts of odd behaviour.  A factory reset clears them out.

The process will delete all your data, so make sure your contacts and calendar are fully syncd before you start, and that you've backed up things like music, photos and documents.  I prefer the file-by-file method, with the phone connected to a pc as external storage.  It's also advisable to remove the external sd card, if you have one, as resetting often erases that, too.