You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 11: Helper V

Re: Switching off

First another update.

Did 105 miles each way to London and back on the weekend.

On the outbound journey, listening to music, phone restarted around the 90 mile mark.

On the return journey, again playing music, phone stayed up the whole time. After reaching home, switched off the car, unhooked the phone put it in my pocket and did usual activities - entered home, unloaded the boot and so forth, and then took out my phone to check something - it was shut down - switched off - dead. It had been charging the whole time in the car, so it must have had atleast 60-70% charge. Had to keep the power button pressed for almost a minute before it would come back on. This is a new one to me.

Secondly, I have followed the instructions by JSK73, Soupdragon the DJ et al, to the letter, Did the factory reset before and after - My upgrade was surprisingly smooth, I have infact reported elsewhere, that I notice several improvements such as better battery life. Also, the behaviour I now report - viz the switching off randomly - this used to be really chronic before my upgrade. What is happening now, is in fact an improvment since the upgrade.Still annoying though.

Thirdly, Thanks Neoblade, I would dearly love to get to the bottom of it. Have installed the app you suggested. Are there any special instructions to run it?

Message 21 of 48 (3,260 Views)

Neoblade, I observe it is already up and running. There are 4 options in Preferences, default is none of them are selected. Anything to be done here?

Message 22 of 48 (3,259 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II

Just noticed you said it was doing this BEFORE you upgraded to ICS.

If it was doing this during your Gingerbread days and now to a lesser extent maybe it's not an app but a phone issue?

Pretty much all apps were optimised for Gingerbread, I could understand it if it was just after the upgrade but not before.

It may be worth a trip to a Samsung Service centre and get them to run a diagnostic on it.

Sometimes the simple answer is overlooked because it's technology that's complicated!
Message 23 of 48 (3,246 Views)

Hi JSK,

yes, I think in this very thread I have mused that it is probably a phone issue in my opinion. However as per suggestions given by reliable experts, I am trying to narrow down the causes - at the very least, I think my experiments so far have definitely ruled it out being an issue with any particular app.

Do you think Samsung will be able to run a diagnostic for me? I am a bit wary of having to send the phone away. I wish there was some place where they could do this while I wait - but I am not aware of any such place in West Midlands..

Message 24 of 48 (3,243 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II

Not sure if you can find anywhere local in the link below.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/location/supportServiceLocation.do?page=SERVICE.LOCATION

Sometimes the simple answer is overlooked because it's technology that's complicated!
Message 25 of 48 (3,236 Views)

There appears to be one in Birmingham. May be I will have a dekko sometime. the next nearest one is 50 miles away it seems.

Message 26 of 48 (3,231 Views)
Rank 12: Guide I

Sorry for the late reply picadillyjim,

Load up the app. Press Menu > Settings. Tick Notify on Crash, Copy /proc/kmsg. 

Use the phone as normal and when it crashes it should produce a log. You will find it in the root of your SDCard and should be called se.mumu21.bootlog. Send that over to me so I can have a look at it.

As for the dead phone during charging... Look at your cig lighter USB adapter. What is the mAH rating? If its less than 500mAH then its useless. If it is 500mAH then I would look at the USB cable you are using. Either buy/use a new one that is rated for charging. Also it could be the cig lighter adapter. I recently had to splash out on a more powerful one for my Dad which has 2 USB ports; 1x 1amp and the other is 2.1amp for his TOMTOM unit.

USB cables can be fickle since if they have the data pins then it will automatically use less power to charge your phone as it thinks its connected to a PC/Laptop. 

Let me know how it all goes though!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy S3

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!
Message 27 of 48 (3,210 Views)

Hi Neoblade

After 2 days 10 hrs and over 400 miles of driving, I was beginning to think that the problem has sorted itself out, when it again ccrashed today morning.

When I went over to look at the log it says "Could not save log, Don't have root permissions" or words to that effect.

Now what should I do?

Message 28 of 48 (3,180 Views)

Was a little worried that it might need root permissions... 

Bit ouf of ideas as the only other way to gain a log is to have a logcat running and hoping it saves before it reboots. This app does just that. Be warned though, it will increase battery usage but if its on charge then you should be fine - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.jtb.alogrec

You can un-install the other app as well. It was all going well then for a while! Hopefully with some real logs this can be tracked down.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!
Message 29 of 48 (3,173 Views)

OK, Yesterday it crashed twice in the span of 32 minutes. I had got alogrec running when I started my car, so I have the log for the first crash. It is about 6 MB in a text file and as far as I can make it out it is in the orginal greek. I also have two other logs, where I manually switched off recording, and those end with "Process Completed by Someone else", while the log for the crash appears to end abruptly in the middle of something. hopefully that would give a clue, if I only knew how to interpret it.

Message 30 of 48 (3,157 Views)

Send me the log files so I can have a look at it. Upload it to mediafire or something and send me the link via PM so it doesn't clutter the forum.

Message 31 of 48 (3,164 Views)

Neoblade, sent you a PM

Bsically since I installed bootlog, the phone has crasehd a total of 11 times, all but 3 of those while driving. On one of those ocassions I was driviong but wasn't using the phone for anything - it was just sitting there getting charged.

Anyway, hope you can decipher the logs.

Many thanks

Message 32 of 48 (3,131 Views)

Alright, switched off 3, that is THREE times in one drive within the space of an hour. I was using the phone as satnav too, and I got stuck in gridlock on the M5 and was desperately trying to get the satnav to work out an alternative route to get home ... This is bugging me no end now.

Message 33 of 48 (3,085 Views)

The only thing I havent tried so far, was to use it without the case. Did so for two days and yesterday phone shut off twice during the one drive.

Problem is definitely becoming worse.

I am now officially ######ed off. Along with several other niggles, such as poor connection to mobile data at key moments, this switching off problem has made the phone not very useful to me. I now completely regret ever moving from  my HTC Desire HD to the SGS II.

I now have to somehow wait out my remaining contract period, and hope that HTC will have a phone as good as the desire HD available at that time.  I might even "shudder" go back to the iphone or horror of horrors, a Windows phone.

I give up solving this particular problem.

So much rental money chucked away, just like that.

Message 34 of 48 (3,068 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

[ Edited ]

Hi there picadillyjim,

There's always a free of charge warranty repair.

That should cure it - Vodafone Repairs

Cheers,

Lee

Message 35 of 48 (3,062 Views)
Rank 42: Oracle I

I have been repairing Computers since the Sinclair ZX Spectrum. So I have many years dedicated to problem solving and repairs...!

Sometimes you will never find the cause, it is better to just fix it, rather than waste time trying to solve the riddle of Life the Universe and everything! :smileywink:

If you haven't tried a Hard Reset, do that first! Then if the problem persists arrange a free Warranty repair either with Vodafone or Samsung directly.

Just my opinion!

TimDroid-wink-small.png

Banner.png

Message 36 of 48 (3,056 Views)

Well. given all the posts aboout the Vodafone repair team, I tried the Samsung support directly, they advised me to take it to the nearest Samsung Repair centre. Only issue is it is only open on weekdays, so it might be a while before I get to do that. I will try to arrange something eftsoons or right speedily.

Message 37 of 48 (2,992 Views)

Sorry for the late reply. Also I sent you a PM but forgot you are using an SGS2 and not a HTC Sensation. 

I couldn't find anything specific via the logs so it might be worth sending the phone off to repair sadly. Let us know how it goes. Sorry I couldn't help much further as I've not seen it happen to an SGS2 with me as of yet.

Message 38 of 48 (2,974 Views)

Thanks to all for listening and trying to help. and belated apologies to Lucialia for hijacking this thread and making it  all about me. Assuredly that was not the intention, I was just trying to find out what could be happening.

Anyway, my final update is as follows - As described in another part of this eforum, I have gone and got myself a Samsung Galaxy Note frpm another network, from another contract in my house that was due for upgrade. I am planning to continue using my Vodafone Sim in the Note. If, as I suspect, it was the SGS II unit of mine which is the main culprit, and if evidence from the NOTES eforum is true( only about 570 posts in all, and not many bleating about switching off problems and network issues) I am destined for a long and satisfying stint with this new phone.

In which case, I am not going to bother with the repair of the SGS II free or otherwise, probably will just recycle it some place for a deserving cause.

If the NOte turns out to be as bad, why, I will probably go back to the iphone in 2 years time.

Hope the next few days will clear things up.

Message 39 of 48 (2,931 Views)

it seems the ICS 4.0.3 has a bug with BT streaming, my phone never reboots but today i fitted a BT car stereo, 30 mins into stremaing the phone soft rebooted, then did it again after 20 mins, and again...

since i have been away form the car its not rebooted.
Message 40 of 48 (2,883 Views)
Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Stand out from the crowd