Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Swollen battery on s4

jaxx01
4: Newbie
Anyone else had a swollen battery on their S4? Mine is really bad and wondered if I'm covered to get a replacement?

I am frightened to turn it on incase it explodes lol
5 REPLIES 5

hrym
17: Community Champion

That's a dead battery.   Get it out of the phone and possibly the house as well NOW!  It probably won't explode, but it's not a risk worth taking.

You'll need a replacement and Samsung have been fairly good about that.  I'd go direct to them as they're more likely to have stock than Vodafone (who have also been providing replacements).   There have been a couple of faulty batches, so they haven't been asking too many questions.   However, if you've been allowing your battery to go flat, you may have shortened its life so, when you get the new one, keep it topped up and try not to let it get below 20%.

jaxx01
Brilliant!! ThaNks :Smiling:

Ladylee25
1: Seeker

Hi there,

There is a major problem with Samsung Galaxy S4. The main problem is that the phone heats up, the battary was swollen so bad that the back cover could not go on the back, and if you dont do anything the phone will eventually cut out and turn on an off at random times (even if the battery is fully charged).  

I experienced all these problems, I wrote to Samsung alerting them of all the problems, I experienced. They didnt want to take responsibility, and said that it was due to water damage, which was a ridiculous excuse. As my phone as never been in water. To cut a long story short, they requested to fix my phone free of charge. They sent me the bag to send back the phone and then they sent the phone back to me fully fixed.  

Therefore, If you have had your phone within 2 years (whether its insured or not) and your are experiencing problems. I would advise you to contact Samsung by phone or by letter and demand that they fix the problem. As the issue is not your problem it's with Samsung. It's Samsungs duty of care to fix your phone.

I hope that helps.

jaxx01
Thank you Ladylee. .yes I've only had it 18 months!!! I will get onto them now :Smiling: thank you

hrym

In this case, the problem seems to have just been with the battery.  In the past, because it's a known issue, Samsung have been sending replacements out without the phone needing to be sent to them - and it doesn't sound as though any other fix is necessary.

TBH, if the phone has been fine for 18 months, it sounds less like a fault than wear and tear, though 18 months, even with a daily charge isn't all that long unless you've been letting it go flat.

See what Samsung say, though.