You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
camillacushion

Trouble installing apps on Galaxy Y

I have a Galaxy Y and whenever I try and install or update an app it automatically tries to install it to the phone memory and not the SD card.The phone only has a limited memory, so every update fails due to a lack of memory. I have tried manually copying the app to the SD card, but that isn't an option for most of the apps.I've also deleted pre-installed apps to make more space, but they automatically reinstall whenever there is an update, meaning I run out of space again.

Can anyone let me know how to install direct to the SD card and make sure updates do the same otherwise I'm stuck with half a phone and 3 apps!

Message 1 of 5 (2,624 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
hrym

Re: Trouble installing apps on Galaxy Y

Most apps do that and some can't be moved.  Although there's an option on Gingerbread, it seems to have gone on ICS.   There are apps which will claim to do it for you and I believe one of them may be called apps2sd or something like that.

Obviously, if you install that, you'll have to uninstall your other apps first to make room for it.  You will probably also need to reinstall them one at a time and move them. I assume that updates will be applied to the app whereever it is, but I don't know.

You might be able to make space by removing pre-installed apps that you don't use - sample versions of games etc, but stuff that Google puts there are fixed.

Message 2 of 5 (2,621 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
camillacushion

Thanks, but when I remove the preinstalled apps they just get reinstalled whenever there is an update!

I will try your suggestions, however, surely there is an easier way than this? Are Vodafone and Samsung not aware of this issue?

Has anyone else had these issues?

Message 3 of 5 (2,607 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
hrym

In that case, don't allow automatic updating. You'll get a notification when there's an update and you can simply ignore it. If these apps are not coming from Google, then go into Settings| Security (I think it is) and disallow non-Google apps.

The Galaxy Y is a budget phone and has limited capability in relation to its bigger brothers, so I'm sure Samsung and the carriers (it won't just be a Vodafone matter) are aware, but I don't think they'd regard it as an issue.
Message 4 of 5 (2,598 Views)
Rank 42: Oracle I
thesoupdragon

Older versions of Android (Gingerbread, FroYo, Eclair etc.) updated Apps by downloading a complete New version of the App. This caused Space issues for phones like yours with small amounts of on-board storage. Subsequent versions of Android have enabled incremental updates, so sometimes only a very small update is applied.

It might be a good idea to save all your content (Photos, music, contacts etc.) and perform a Factory reset.

This will remove all the unnecessary clutter and give you a clean platform to install your Apps.

Wink.gif

halloweenSig.png

Message 5 of 5 (2,594 Views)