You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
Accepted Solution

URGENT HELP NEEDED WITH EMAIL!

I have set up my sky email with pop3 settings via manual mode.  Any new emails appear and then dissappear again, i think when refreshed etc.  Whilst the settings are set to leave in the inbox, I am then not getting them on my pc.

I've set up an O2 email which I have, but not used, and this works perfectly fine, so I doubt it's the phone.

I have found that if I change my sky setting to enable imap then the phone automatically picks up the settings etc but the problem I then have is there doesn't appear to be a setting to leave in the inbox so that if I delete the email from the phone I still get it on my pc.

Can anyone advise.  If I can't get this to work properly then I shall be sending the phone back, although only have a couple of days now to do this.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 26 (7,108 Views)
Rank 42: Oracle I

Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED WITH EMAIL!

Hi Jen1108,

Try these settings:

Incoming server settings:

Protocol - IMAP
Email address - (your address)
Username - your user name with the @sky.com
Password - (your password)
IMAP Server - imap.tools.sky.com
Server Port 993
------------------------
Outgoing server settings:

Email address - (your email)
Password - (your password)
SMTP server - smtp.tools.sky.com
Security type - SSL
Server port - 465

On your sky account, make sure you have IMAP enabled.

:smileywink:

Banner.png

Message 2 of 26 (7,093 Views)

My original post says I've used the imap setting (enabling on sky server) but with this I do not appear to be able to delete the emails received from the phone and still get them on my pc. 

Message 3 of 26 (7,042 Views)

[ Edited ]

@jen1108

Click on email app

Tap Menu

Tap Account Settings

Tap Incoming Settings

Tap on Drop down Box "Delete email from server".

Put Green Dot next to "Never".

Tap Next.

Settings are now saved.

Hope that helps :smileywink:

EDIT: You might have to set up the email account using Manual Setup not the Auto option.

Use the settings I posted earlier.

Banner.png

Message 4 of 26 (7,037 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster

Can anyone tell me how to erase an account from the phone? I set up my hotmail which as we know doesnt work so now have a gmail acct to which my mails are forwarded. I now want to add my work email to the email app but remove the Hotmail one which I seemingly can't do (or amend).

Any clues??
Message 5 of 26 (7,022 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V

Mr soup is the email boffin in here. He will be around later today if he hasn't bricked his fone again lol :smileysurprised:

For hints, tips and flashing guides, visit my youtube page www.youtube.com/puggereduk
Message 6 of 26 (7,020 Views)

To delete an email account go to email then hit menu and accounts.  Hold your fingur on the account you wish to delete until options po up.  Then you should be able to select remove account.  I am well rehearsed at this after setting up and removing several time in order to try and sort out my own problem.

Message 7 of 26 (6,999 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster

perfect! thanks guys

Message 8 of 26 (6,990 Views)

I'm not getting the option to 'Delete email from Server' when I set up with imap settings.  I'm hoping this is a fault in the phone as another fault has surfaced now and I am having the phone replaced.  Shall let you know what happens when the new one arrives!

NB - additional fault is the phone has locked itself in landscape on the homepage/idle screen.  Samsung have told me this isn't possible and after battery removal and a full factory reset advise that the phone is faulty! 

Please god tell me this is a one off faulty phone  because if I the email works properly I'm loving the phone, otherwise it's useless to me and going back:smileysad:!

Message 9 of 26 (6,974 Views)

Kiteboy wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to erase an account from the phone? I set up my hotmail which as we know doesnt work so now have a gmail acct to which my mails are forwarded. I now want to add my work email to the email app but remove the Hotmail one which I seemingly can't do (or amend).

Any clues??

Hi Kiteboy,

If you want your Hotmail account to work use the settings I posted HERE

I use this Myself, works 100%.

@Jen1108

You need to set your email up in Manual Setup

You need to recalibrate screen rotation:

Menu

Settings

Display

Auto rotate screen - put a tick here

Horizontal Calibration -  Lay phone on a level surface and tap Calibrate.

Banner.png

Message 10 of 26 (6,966 Views)

Tried setting email up with imap settings in manual mode and I get the same results as the automatic, still with no option to delete from server.  I only get this option with pop3 settings but this was not working.

Re screen I tried that before contacting Samsung.  Also made sure the setting were in sync with each other from the settings menu and the pull down notification bar.  Samsung Tech Support told me the phone was faulty. 

Message 11 of 26 (6,918 Views)
Rank 17: Instructor I

jen1108 wrote:

Tried setting email up with imap settings in manual mode and I get the same results as the automatic, still with no option to delete from server.  I only get this option with pop3 settings but this was not working.

Re screen I tried that before contacting Samsung.  Also made sure the setting were in sync with each other from the settings menu and the pull down notification bar.  Samsung Tech Support told me the phone was faulty. 

Jen,

can you tell us what firmware version your phone is running on? >go to settings>about phone

The email app prior to 2.2.1 has always been a bit flakey to say the least.

Message 12 of 26 (6,897 Views)

Phone is all boxed up now waiting for an exchange today, but I had visited a Vodafone store with the email problem and the guy checked the firmware and said it was on the most up to date.  I also installed Kies on my pc and connected up the phone and Kies said no updates were available.

Message 13 of 26 (6,886 Views)

Hopefully this is just a one off incident Jen. Lets hope that your replacement phone works as it should :smileyhappy: Not a good start for your Galaxy experience :smileysad:

For hints, tips and flashing guides, visit my youtube page www.youtube.com/puggereduk
Message 14 of 26 (6,867 Views)
Rank 17: Instructor I

jen1108 wrote:

Phone is all boxed up now waiting for an exchange today, but I had visited a Vodafone store with the email problem and the guy checked the firmware and said it was on the most up to date.  I also installed Kies on my pc and connected up the phone and Kies said no updates were available.

Unfortunately the most up to date Vodafone firmware, is not the most up to date firmware for the phone.

2.2.1 is what you need on the phone.

When 2.2.1 came out, a lot of users said that the email app was finally working as it should and was reliable.

prior to this it was a mess with some users having no problems with it. Some couldn't get it to work and others saying email were coming in intermitently.

Either way there has always been a work around and that is to use the gmail client.

>Log into your gmail account from a web browser and set up your different email accounts in Gmail

>You will then be able to send and receive from you indivdual email accounts via the gmail client on your phone.

and you won't have to use the generic email client anymore, which is less battery efficient than the gmail client anyway.

Hope this helps,

Let us know if you have any questions.

Message 15 of 26 (6,851 Views)

Got the replacement phone and it's behaving exactly the same as the first one with the emails.:smileymad:

Firmware version:  2.2 

Build number:  FROYO.BUJP7

Do you think I need to update the firmware?  If so, could you give me exact instructions on how to do this.

Thanks!

Message 16 of 26 (6,826 Views)

Hi Jen, you could try flashing the latest rom on to the phone which is JPY (froyo 2.2.1) however in doing so would render your Vodafone warranty void. Flashing firmwares is best left for the more advanced users however if you do decide you want to do this then we can help you.

Message 17 of 26 (6,818 Views)

Hi jen1108

I found this post on the AV Forum. It suggests you have to unlock the sky email account.

See the Post HERE

Let us know if this helps

Soup. :smileywink:

Banner.png

Message 18 of 26 (6,811 Views)

Hopefully soups suggestion will work for you. I only use hotmail and gmail as I done away with my sky and virgin email accounts years ago.

Message 19 of 26 (6,795 Views)

Hi ado

I'm similar to you, I use Gmail for business along with several calendars that are shared. Really brings this phone alive.

I also use Virgin email, Hotmail and Yahoo. (all on my Phone)

I have never been a sky customer but the email is powered by Google.

The Internet is full of people complaining about not being able to setup mobile email with Sky.

I'm sure between all of us we can help Jen. :smileyhappy:

Banner.png

Message 20 of 26 (6,775 Views)
Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Stand out from the crowd