Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VPN timeout trying L2TP protocol on Android 4.0.4

sapman
2: Seeker
Per subject I can connect VPN's using OpenVPN and PPTP but when I try siilar credentials using L2TP the connection request times out no matter whether I am using 3G or WiFi, Vodafone's network or any other here in the UK. I am trying to connect to VPN servrs in either London or Manchester by the way.

A quick search throws up several issues people have had and solved on rooted phones at the code level bu I just don't want to do that? Are you having the same problem? Can we get low-level technical hrlp from Vodafone, Samsung or Google? Surely we don't have to wait for the next maintenance release of Android but even then, if we do, has this perumdes bug been noted and a fix included? How can w know?

sapman
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sapman

I think I have the answer to this with my Google Nexus 7 tablet which comes with Android 4.1 installed. My Samsung Galaxy S2 ihas been updated to 4.0 (and a bit) and has the fault, i.e. it is not possible to connect a VPN using L2TP - the connection request times out. The tablet running 4.1 however can sucessfully make a similar connection. Not conclusive proof but from this I surmise that L2TP went wrong in Android somewhere on the release schedule to 4.0 and has subsequently been fixed so that it works again in 4.1.

sapman

View solution in original position

2 REPLIES 2

sapman

I think I have the answer to this with my Google Nexus 7 tablet which comes with Android 4.1 installed. My Samsung Galaxy S2 ihas been updated to 4.0 (and a bit) and has the fault, i.e. it is not possible to connect a VPN using L2TP - the connection request times out. The tablet running 4.1 however can sucessfully make a similar connection. Not conclusive proof but from this I surmise that L2TP went wrong in Android somewhere on the release schedule to 4.0 and has subsequently been fixed so that it works again in 4.1.

sapman

Duduz
1: Seeker

L2TP is a magnificent VPN convention that conveys the merchandise. While it misses the mark concerning OpenVPN, it rushes to setup, gives incredible security and backings a wide mixed bag of gadgets which settles on it an awesome decision for utilization in many situations.