You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
JimHudd

Vodafone HQ drains my battery!

Here's a tricky one for you!  I work at Vodafone HQ in Newbury and my Galaxy S will go from fully charged at 6am to completely drained by 2pm (if I'm lucky!) - a max of 8 hours.  Usage is the occasional call (approximately 30 mins total), the odd SMS/E-mail, very little web surfing.  Wifi is off, Bluetooth is off.

When I'm at home the battery will last 18+ hours with similar usage.  Wifi is on, Bluetooth is on.

When I'm out and about the same usage will get me about 12+ hours battery.

The built in battery usage meters show that the screen is consuming all the battery even tho 90% of the time the screen is off.  It would seem to be related to the use of mobile network versus WiFi, with WiFi consuming much less power.  I've been told that VFHQ is too close to a transmitter and that the phone can't deal with the strength of the signal, so it finds the next transmitter which is miles away and then needs the phone to use lots of power to transmit to it.  Does this sound likely?  It certainly seems to fit the power consumption pattern.

If there's any background apps using power then they don't show up anywhere I can see, and even then they would also be working no matter whether I'm on mobile network or WiFi.

Any suggestions people?  And ideally, any suggestions to stop VFHQ eating my battery!

Cheers,

Jim.

Message 1 of 23 (5,850 Views)
Rank 14: Guide III
jimc130

Re: Vodafone HQ drains my battery!

Wow, that is weird, when I have battery issues the first thing I do is flash another kernel to see if that makes a difference.  

SGS I9000
Rom : CyanogenMod 9 nightlies

Message 2 of 23 (5,841 Views)
Rank 12: Guide I
dnairb001

Not heard of a transmitter being too close or too powerful, especially so that it results in the phone searching for or using one further away. Is the signal strength indicative of a near transmitter or one far away? If it's a far away one then it could be a likely culprit and probably wouldn't help. You could try switching to 2G when not using the phone for any data application to see if that helps.

Message 3 of 23 (5,829 Views)
Rank 17: Instructor I
very_teknical

dnairb001 wrote:

Not heard of a transmitter being too close or too powerful, especially so that it results in the phone searching for or using one further away. Is the signal strength indicative of a near transmitter or one far away? If it's a far away one then it could be a likely culprit and probably wouldn't help. You could try switching to 2G when not using the phone for any data application to see if that helps.

Its definitely the 3G.

As dnair001 has said, switch your phone to use 2g only outside of your home and you will see a massive increase in battery life when you are at work.

All Android devices have a hopeless 3G battery life although I have seen some improvement with the new Gingerbread ROM, its still no where near as efficient on the battery as say the Windows phone I'm trying out at the moment on loan from Vodafone.

I would suggest downloading a simple switch widget from the market and install it on your desktop which you can use to switch 2G/3G, keep your phone on 2G most of the time and only switch to 3G when you need the increase in speed. ie. when you're web browsing.

Message 4 of 23 (5,819 Views)
JimHudd

Thanks guys. I'll give the 2G thing a go. i've just downloaded Juice Defender so I'll see how that helps.

Still not sure why VFHQ is worse for 3G usage than the rest of the world but I'll take any battery boost I can get!
Message 5 of 23 (5,812 Views)
Rank 12: Guide I
dnairb001

I can recommend juice defender. It has on occasions made a huge difference to my battery life.

Message 6 of 23 (5,805 Views)
very_teknical

By all means give juice defender a go.

But I tried it out some time ago and found it to use up more battery than it saved. (Perhaps its improved since then)

thats why I recommend just a simple shortcut widget, which uses no battery up and basically leaves to you to manually switch between 3G/2G

Message 7 of 23 (5,801 Views)
very_teknical

JimHudd wrote:
Thanks guys. I'll give the 2G thing a go. i've just downloaded Juice Defender so I'll see how that helps.

Still not sure why VFHQ is worse for 3G usage than the rest of the world but I'll take any battery boost I can get!

I would suggest that any cell site which is particularly busy such as an airport, train station, etc. or indeed VODAFONE HQ, will have a negative impact on battery life compared to the rest of the world, as every phone is competing for bandwidth and trying very hard to communicate with the network..

I would also suggest that some mobile devices are better than others in operating in these 'high traffic areas'

Message 8 of 23 (5,796 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

Well i live near a transmiter (Not glowing green Yet ) But 3G is a Drain But its the Data that does this First turn off all sync funtions for all accounts and data so the 3G simbol goes SwitchPro is good for this, oh the phone still works for phone calls and txt, Also when your phone is in stanby turn the wifi of in the sleep policy when the screen goes off

The reason why your getting the drain is the data connection on 3G its trying to connect, 2G will be better as Vodafone have had longer to sort this but when i'm out i shut off all data unless i need it, With normal use i get two days easy but this is on JPY on VOD it was shocking. Battery drain has always been a problem with all android phones but samsung seem to be on with it.

Oh and welcome to the Vodafone Tecnical Department that should be 

Message 9 of 23 (5,785 Views)
JimHudd

@very_teknical  Which widget do you use?  I can only seem to find one that's a shortcut to the network settings to manually switch 2G/3G rather than a proper switch.

Message 10 of 23 (5,767 Views)
very_teknical

JimHudd wrote:

@very_teknical  Which widget do you use?  I can only seem to find one that's a shortcut to the network settings to manually switch 2G/3G rather than a proper switch.

Sorry fella thats as good as it gets with the Android API. As I wrote in my post above, I use a simple shortcut widget, its called curvefish which takes me directly to network settings.

Give it a go.

As I said before, having your device set to 2G will save loads of battery life whilst still allowing syncing all your accounts such as Gmail, facebook, etc. You'll still be able to send/receive email, use maps/navigation. The only time you may want to switch to 3G is if you need to do some web browsing or uploading of a large file like a photo.

But to be honest a building like Vodafone HQ should really have WIFI installed for hot desking etc. So its worth asking someone from the IT department there if they would allow you to connect to that. Having your phone connected to wifi all day at work will use a lot less battery than being on 3g.

Message 11 of 23 (5,758 Views)
JimHudd

I did see the curvefish stuff but thought there might be a better switch.

VFHQ does have WiFi but you need to get thru an access screen in order to get out to the internet.  I am set up on that but it's a pain having to keep logging into the access screen (seems to log you out autromatically after about 20-30 minutes) and then the phone resorts to 3G anyway.  I'll have a word and see if the timeout can be changed or disabled.

Message 12 of 23 (5,751 Views)
Rank 8: Helper II
frostfree

This is very interesting and ones proximity to a mast could explain why some people may experience excessive battery drain and others don't. My personal experience was that my battery drain on 3G only was at it's worst when I used the sure signal to boost 3G signal so perhaps there's an issue with having too strong 3G signal. I hope some clever boffins look into this.

As advised by VT, toggle your 3G mode at work or get a spare charger. I'll be surprised if a corporate security timeout policy will be modified to help improve your phones battery life.

Out of interest what's the experience of your colleagues on other phones?

FF

Message 13 of 23 (5,742 Views)
JimHudd

The chap I got the initial suggestion of mast proximity from has experienced the same thing on O2 and Orange. I have colleagues that have similar issues although not to the extent I seem to, however there could be a number of things I have turned on (Facebook, Google contacts/mail/calender etc) that they don't. In general tho' all smartphone battery longevity is reported as ######.

I'm not expecting VF to change their policy for me, just that it might be a setting that's user configurable.

And here's a thought on SureSignal (aside from not knowing anyone who's reported much benefit from it) is that you pay for your own broad band, you pay for the SureSignal femto-mast, and then VF charges you for 3G data whilst using it. So rather than VF boost their network they convince people to pay out 3 times to get 3G data. Femto-masts are being shunned in the US in favour of WiFi.
Message 14 of 23 (5,730 Views)
Northern-dj

Wecome to the world of Vodafone as they would say 

I can see your frustration on this ...

So what your saying is Vodafone HQ Has 3G problems well if youguys can not get it right what hope have we !!!!!

I donote that you have not taken my advice and turned every thing off that you do not need, you need to do some testing of your own to see what is draining your battery and the only way is to turn 3G Off on the data and wifi off then check your battery use 

Message 15 of 23 (5,722 Views)
JimHudd

I work at VFHQ, not for Vodafone directly, and I'm certainly not saying they have 3G problems! All I'm saying that my phone seems to have 3G problems and they're particularly bad when I'm at VFHQ.

I've been running Juice Defender today and my battery is at 78% now (13:19) from being taken off charge at 06:00, so it's definitely doing the job. I'm going to give the Curvefish 2G/3G thing a go Northern-Dj as I do seem to have lost my gmail notifications so I guess Juice Defender is being a bit too careful. It's not that I wasn't going to try your suggestions, I was just trying various things, and JD happened to be the first.

I must also say that nothing I have said, or will say on these forums is anything representative of Vodafone as a company. I'm simply a Vodafone subscriber who happens to work at their HQ and noticed an issue that appeared to be worse at VFHQ. My views are my own.
Message 16 of 23 (5,706 Views)
Rank 42: Oracle I
thesoupdragon

@JimHudd

Nice save... :smileyvery-happy:

I noticed you said in an earlier post that you have all sorts of things set to auto sync, such as Facebook etc.

These will usually be set to sync every 10 - 30 min, but not all at the same time...! So the phone could well be spending the majority of it's time connecting and disconnecting to the 3g internet service.

This would account for heavy drain. Also in High speed areas your phone will default to HSDPA, but as soon as the phone is put into a pocket or bag the signal weakens and the phone will drop to 2g. This constant connecting to internet and speed switching may account for the unusual drain at VFHQ.

Try setting the phone to WCDMA ONLY, when at work. It's a high signal area so take advantage of it!

Also set your Apps to sync Manually, you wont get auto notifications but you only have to open Facebook and it will receive all messages. Same for other Apps. Gmail will still come through automatically.

TSD :smileywink:

halloweenSig.png

Message 17 of 23 (5,700 Views)
JimHudd

Thanks TSD; I'll give the WCDMA thing a go as I'm getting no GMail updates at all when on 2G. Even opening the GMail app and hitting refresh won't bring new mail.

I think I've been a bit trigger happy with the updates I've got set. I changed to the Galaxy from a BB Storm and I really miss proper push notifications. I've tried to compensate but setting lots of updates on to frequent-ish periods. Do i really need realtime updates for WeatherBug? I think not!

It's a shame you have to play with this stuff manually. I'm a techy so i don't mind too much, but for regular people this must be a real pain. Radio profiles would be a nice way to address this, and I guess things like Juice Defender are trying to do that by learning your habits.

Anyway, I've got some good results and some more things to try. Once again kudos to the power of the eForum!
Message 18 of 23 (5,694 Views)
JimHudd

Hi all, just thought I'd give you an update on my findings. I tried the WCDMA thing and that made no difference; battery still drained like a leaky tap. Turned of packet data and my battery has been lasting forever. I also checked what updating apps I had and I'd already turned off Facebook, so all I had left on was WeatherBug (every 2 hours) and Google sync. It's possible tho there's more apps that I don't know about doing updates!

So my conclusion is that 3G on the Galaxy S utterly sucks in terms of being usable for any extended period of time without killing your battery. WiFi is far more efficient so I shall be looking into what options are available for widespread WiFi access. Really rather disappointed; hopefully an Android update might improve things when the next update is due.

Thanks for the help and tips on this, I found my answer even if it wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

Cheers,
Jim.
Message 19 of 23 (5,626 Views)
Northern-dj

Like i said before shut every thing off cos thats what you have done.

as for the firmware JPY firmware wich is 2.2.1 was and still is the most stable now this is what every one who is on a stock phone (non branded), but if you have a vodafone phone then then chances are your on 2.2 do not update the firmware to 2.2.1 leave it there until Gingerbread comes out, the reason for not updating is cos vodafone messed the firmware up.

As for the updaye we don't no when its out see the 2.3.3 post for info

as for wifi i'm a bt internet user at home and as part of there package you get full use of there wifi hotspot network i use this all the time,for calls i use a app called Tango but i'm hoping we get Google talk, but i ghink the networks will block that cos with that you can make voip calls with just there email address over your internet.

Message 20 of 23 (5,614 Views)
iPhone 6

iPhone 6

Bigger than bigger

Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Stand out from the crowd

My Vodafone

My Vodafone

Stay in control of your spending and manage your account online.

Need more credit?

Top Up

It's easy to top up online.

Vodafone Freebee Rewardz

Vodafone Freebee Rewardz

Earn Rewardz points every time you top up.