cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone blacklisted my phone, suspect in error?

louisehay
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I am not a Vodafone customer. On 8th July my phone was blacklisted by Vodafone, which I found out from talking to my network operator. I have been to my local Vodafone shop and they confirmed the blacklisting but were unable to give me any more information. I have used the checkmend.com site to get a report on my phone, and it lists the phone simply as blacklisted, nothing about it being stolen or any insurance claim.

I want to know whether the phone has been correctly blacklisted by Vodafone or whether it has been done in error. As far as I am concerned it is a genuine phone bought via eBay from Universal Electronix and sold as a new genuine phone. I have used it without problems for 2 months.

How can I get details of why the phone has been blacklisted? If it has been stolen or reported stolen to fraudulently claim the insurance, for example, then I have information I can take back to the seller to get my money back. Or if it has been blacklisted in error, I need to get the blacklisting lifted.

Many thanks for any help.

4 REPLIES 4

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

This is a tough one. Vodafone won't tell you anything as they are bound by the provisions of the Data Protection Act and they have no relationship with you.

The scam is people sell unwanted upgrades and then report them as stolen afterwards to get the money twice.

Your only real option is to set up a dispute on Ebay and try and get the money back from the company that sold you the phone. They in turn will chase the person they bought the phone from.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thank you for such a quick response and helpful advice. Much appreciated. I'd just like to be sure from Vodafone that the blacklisting is for a genuine reason, I don't need to know the details but would hate to go through the pain of the dispute process if in fact it was an error on Vodafone's part. Both my network operator and the helpful person in the Vodafone shop said it was possible the blacklisting was an error. I agree it's much more likely to be what you say, though, sadly! I'll certainly be following up the dispute process as you suggest if I have to. Thanks again.

AnnS

@louisehay

You need to push ahead with the dispute process.

Due to all the data protection reasons, Vodafone won't in an any position to give any information.  You don't even have an account to verify.

I hope you are able to get your money returned.

Thanks very much, I will do that.