You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 34: Scholar III

Re: Vodafone menu in Android Market

[ Edited ]

That looks intrseting winder when that will be out ?

Message 41 of 98 (9,144 Views)
Rank 14: Guide III

[ Edited ]

Just installed the new Market, and no trace of the Vodafone stuff.

Got it from : http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/07/12/download-the-new-android-market-v3-0-26-with-support-for-mov...

SGS I9000
Rom : CyanogenMod 9 nightlies

Message 42 of 98 (9,141 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ui is good, why we want to rent a movie i will never no as for books i use amazon kindle app for that but the ui is good

Message 43 of 98 (9,131 Views)
Tom
Topics: 208
Solutions: 413

Hi All,

Just letting you know I'm closing some threads about this in other boards and routing them here. To help generalise I've edited some post titles- this will make the thread easier to find on search engines.

Thanks,

Tom
Message 44 of 98 (9,111 Views)
Rank 1: Guest

So you close the other threads, but don't offer any support at all.  Is this not a support forum?  I did ask a question:

HOW DO YOU GET RID OF THIS BUTTON???

I didn't ask for it.  My phone is not branded Vodafone - I didn't buy it through you.  I hardly ever connect to vodafone for internet use, and yet this stuffing button still ends up on my phone.

You completely mucked up my last phone, and largely gave bad support (N96), and I'm not going through that again, which is why I bought my phone outright - not through a carrier.  It seems this is not enough - you're DETERMINED to make our phones as rubbish as possible!!!  Stop doing it.

I see there's a new version of the market out there, which is nice, but how long will it be before you stuff that one up too?

So, HOW DO I GET RID OF THIS BUTTON?

More to the point, HOW to I stop Vodafone from messing up my phone??? Alas, I think the only answer maybe to go to a different carrier.

Message 45 of 98 (9,105 Views)
Tom

Hi rikkig,

We've already explained that it's not possible to remove the icon.

There are some useful posts from thesoupdragon and RupertTheFridge on the first and second page of this thread that offer some insight, take a look.

Basically, this is a service that Google now offer that we're one of the first to take up- it's largely been seen as a positive across the web (examples here and here) as it's a way for you to get apps at a cheaper price (or sometimes free) rather than paying the normal Android Market price. It doesn't reduce any functionality of the device in  any way, you can still access "My Apps" using the menu button.

I see you mention you didn't buy your handset from Vodafone. As this is a Google Android Market update rather than a Vodafone one, it's likely that Android Market recognises your number as a Vodafone one and so provides the link to the Vodafone channel.

No other operators in the UK currently do this, but HTC have a similar channel and I'd expect many others to follow suit really soon.

Thanks,

Tom

Message 46 of 98 (9,100 Views)

[ Edited ]

Correction to my post above - the VF button is on the new market - I hadn't scrolled down on the first page. I personally dont see the point in it - when I go on the market I will avoid the VF button, but would like to hear an explanation of why there is a need for it.

EDIT: just read Tom's post above.Ok, we will watch and see. 

SGS I9000

Message 47 of 98 (9,092 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V

Unbranded handsets say 'HTC' instead of 'Vodafone' - but either way it is Google opening up the Market to suggested apps from OEMs/Carriers

HTC One X (S720e)
ROM: 3.14.401.31 (JRO03C)
HBOOT: 1.39.0000 | Recovery: Stock
Radio: 5.1204.162.29 | Kernel: Stock
Message 48 of 98 (9,085 Views)

@EddyOS - Hmm, my SGS is unbranded but it shows the VF button..

SGS I9000

Message 49 of 98 (9,080 Views)
thesoupdragon
Topics: 138
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 12
Solutions: 199

Google have been concerned for some time about the vulnerability of some Apps and also that some users are not confident to pass on their payment details within the Android Market.

The New Channels are a way for Google to tackle both problems.

Mobile Carriers such as Vodafone will undertake to make sure that any App offered on their Channel has passed security measures and therefore deemed safe for general release. 

This will help to prevent the need for Anti virus or Anti Malware software needing to be installed on our Android devices. I see this as a Positive move!

The payment for Apps on the Vodafone Channel will be through your Phone bill. This cuts out the need to enter credit or Debit card details.

Again, I see this as a Positive safety measure.

The last thing I want for Android is a situation where I have to install all sorts of Anti-This, and Anti- That Apps, which will seriously reduce the usability of my phone.

Instead of criticising Vodafone, I think we should be thanking them, for taking on this responsibility.

TSD 

Hmmm.gif

Crimbo_Banner_TPJ.gif

Message 50 of 98 (9,055 Views)

That's a very good way of looking at it, especially the payment side of things
HTC One X (S720e)
Message 51 of 98 (9,047 Views)

[ Edited ]

jimc130 wrote:

Strange, my Sensation says 'HTC' as opposed to Vodafone, as it did on the old version. Was your SGS unbranded out the box or only cause you're running a custom ROM? Could be linked to the IMEI perhaps?

HTC One X (S720e)
Message 52 of 98 (9,047 Views)

[ Edited ]

EddyOS wrote:

jimc130 wrote:

Strange, my Sensation says 'HTC' as opposed to Vodafone, as it did on the old version. Was your SGS unbranded out the box or only cause you're running a custom ROM? Could be linked to the IMEI perhaps?

My one has been unbranded from the start, I have the 16gb model which has a different code to the out of the box branded ones, never been any Vodafone stuff on it at all. Which has been quite nice.

Edit: I actually have a HTC Sensation here as well at the moment, VF branded, I am going to put the new market on and see what it says. 

SGS I9000

Message 53 of 98 (9,036 Views)

Ok, just did the branded Sensation and the new market has the VF option.

SGS I9000

Message 54 of 98 (9,023 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster

just downloaded/installed the new market too.
the vodefone apps are indeed further down the first page, so out of sight to begin with.
Still access my apps from the menu button.
It looks quite good to me, can see the top free paid & free apps easier than before.

Message 55 of 98 (8,997 Views)
Tom

Just installed the new Market too- it looks great! One of the big turnoffs of Android for me was how old fashioned the Market looked, this is a huge improvement and seems smoother too.

It kind of adds weight to my pure speculation the other day about the expansion of channels too- I'd guess Google will add more alongside the Vodafone one over time. That's purely my own opinion though.

Message 56 of 98 (8,986 Views)

Now this is no way a dig at VF forum team, But we no in the past Vodafone have not got a Clue on what a good app is, What i don't wantg to see is what apple does and that if they don't like a app we don't get it. As stated i would of thought the Manufactures would of been better to say what app works and what does not. 

I don't think Vodaone is geared up for this just yet, and better not offer apps that are dearer then on other networks, I also hope they don't try doing what ADT do in the states and block apps such as CWM.

If Vodafone do what there say there going to do thenit should be good but they don't do things for nothing, But i also no if its naff we just will not use it.

The main benifit of the Android market is we can do what we want and not told buy one manufacture Oh thats Apple 

As for Game and app develpment for a developer nothing has changed in fact i hope Vodafone use some of the Developers out there as there better then the people or campanys they use 

And How conservative are Vodafone going to be with there apps, Cos at the momentg the ones on the market are well Borring and very poor that Vodafone have done going to be intresting as to what goes on it  

Message 57 of 98 (8,980 Views)
Tom

Hi NDJ,

Just to say, I don't know if any of what TSD said is correct, although it is an interesting take, but there's no need for concern about us blocking apps or anything as that's not the case :smileyhappy:

Tom
Message 58 of 98 (8,971 Views)

Nice one Tom so hopfully we might get some good stuff on there then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE No More News apps i'm fed up of them lol some practicle apps don't mind paying if there good lol

Don't think VF will be happy you have to scroll it up to see the Vodafone one But its still is no on my phone lol 

Message 59 of 98 (8,943 Views)
NX3
Rank 6: Frequent Poster

I like the comment from Tom about not blocking apps given the previous 12 months where while not specifically blocking apps they've not been available on the HTC Legend yet if you got from other sourses they ran fine, think 'Angry Birds' and others. VF blamed Google as I remember but other hands users outside the UK didn't have this problem so to me it looks like VF. Anyway, lets VF have learnt blocking apps or being VERY slow to release to certain handsets doesn't make customers happy.

Per the moved 'My Apps', I'm disappointed to have to go via menus to get to 'My Apps'. Getting to 'My App's is far more useful than seeing what VF want to try and push out to me. Again give VF repuation for bloatware, unwanted apps, this isn't a good move imo. I'd rather have HTC as an option, they put a few useful apps.

Again sorry for posting HTC questions in a Samsung forum but VF are closing all other threads in the relevant forum and telling everyone to reply here. Perhaps VF need a not handset specific forum for when people have a general question about android rather than a handset.

Message 60 of 98 (8,930 Views)
Nexus 6

Nexus 6

More space to explore