You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 3: Occasional Poster

Wifi problem ics

Hello all, I've noticed a problem since upgrading to ics. If I turn wifi off and back on again it will not initialise, I just get turning on wifi message and it hangs like that until I restart the phone, then it's fine. Anyone else had this problem?
Message 1 of 49 (7,083 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster

Re: Wifi problem ics

I must say since updating to ICS my wifi problems have been sorted. When was on gingerbread the wifi was very weak and always hanged so had to always dis connect and then re connect every 10mins but now it stays on all time and its very strong signal. I suggest tryin a factory re set and see that will sort the problem out.
Message 2 of 49 (7,066 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II

Can I ask if you did a factory re-set on your phone before and after the updates?

If not then this should be your next port of call as you may have conflicting software hanging around from Gingerbread.

Make sure you do a full backup before doing the factory re-set (and not just on Kies as it's unreliable)

Sometimes the simple answer is overlooked because it's technology that's complicated!
Message 3 of 49 (7,044 Views)
thesoupdragon
Topics: 138
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 12
Solutions: 199

thespudman wrote:
Hello all, I've noticed a problem since upgrading to ics. If I turn wifi off and back on again it will not initialise, I just get turning on wifi message and it hangs like that until I restart the phone, then it's fine. Anyone else had this problem?

Have you Factory Reset your phone after the update?

It's a part of the update process that never gets mentioned but past experience suggests this is the best course of action to resolve all the little niggles...

Wink.gif

Crimbo_Banner_TPJ.gif

Message 4 of 49 (7,043 Views)

What they said, lol.

My wifi has been ok apart from dropbox auto uploading pics and ruining my connection in the Ghost Recon beta! Grrrr... Lol
Message 5 of 49 (7,021 Views)

Sorry for late reply, been away in turkey

Yea did the dialer code reset before and after the upgrade. The problem still there but is always temporally fixed upon a reboot
Message 6 of 49 (6,856 Views)
Rank 1: Guest

Wifi Problems with ICS

Hi,

Hope someone can help.

I upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich and now can only connect very briefly to my router, before it fails and subsequently disconnects from every pc in the house.  I then have to turn off the S2 wifi and reset the router.

I use a Draytek router and I have factory reset my phone.  Any ideas as it's driving me insane.

The S2 works fine with the router (not Draytek) at work.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Message 7 of 49 (6,818 Views)

Re: Wifi Problems with ICS

UGH, my phone is having the same issue. I cant turn on wifi without the phone hanging and rebooting, and then it works. 

Im highly annoyed at the install process of ICS if a factory reset is supposed to be done, but nobody from vodafone says this during the install?! Why was this not mentioned? 

I have been running almost two weeks with ICS and I really dont want to have to do a factory reset at this point because Im finally getting the phone where I want it to be, and I dont remember all the things Ive changed haha.

Is a factory reset really the only way that this annoying WIFI problem is fixed??

What is the best way to back up the phone if Kies isn't the best way??

Help! haha. I want to make this as painless as possible, because re-setting up a phone is a pain in the ######. 

Cody

Message 8 of 49 (6,804 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III

r_parsons wrote:

Hi,

Hope someone can help.

I upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich and now can only connect very briefly to my router, before it fails and subsequently disconnects from every pc in the house.  I then have to turn off the S2 wifi and reset the router.

I use a Draytek router and I have factory reset my phone.  Any ideas as it's driving me insane.

The S2 works fine with the router (not Draytek) at work.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Now if your phone is working fine at work it sounds like a setting on your Drayteck 

Down load a app called wifi analyzer this is a good tool for setting up your wifi 

Most wifi routers use channel 6 from stock but you can get other routers effecting yours if there near so changing the channel can help 

Also the security can help the old WEP need to be change to TKIP or wpa

The other is the speed the S2 is geared up to the N spead so you can try changing from G to N if your router is able to 

Message 9 of 49 (6,793 Views)

Hi Northern DJ,

No, the problem's not fixed...just don't turn on the S2 wifi at home anymore (which is, as I said, a big pain).  I'll try changing the router settings, however, so thanks for the info.

Message 10 of 49 (6,780 Views)

Cody - the factory reset didn't help so I wouldn't recommend going down that road, if you want to keep your settings.  I had to set my phone up again from scratch, which peeved me quite a bit.  

Try the wifi setting as suggested by Northern DJ.

Cheers, Rich

Message 11 of 49 (6,779 Views)

Hi Rich,

The problem isn't with my router though, it is definitely with my phone only. I can connect to the wifi just fine, its the toggling it off and on that is the problem, hence a software issue on the phone and not with anything outside of that realm. I was hoping it was the factory reset, because at least I would have it figured out.

What worked for you then Rich?
Message 12 of 49 (6,774 Views)
Rank 11: Helper V

I've noticed this too, when I toggle wifi on sometimes it just hangs saying its turning on wifi. I found when it does this to .toggle off wifi, then wait for it to stop (can take a few minutes). Then turn wifi on in settings/wifi. I'm glad it doesnt do this too often though.

Batman.gif

Samsung Galaxy SII,

Android Version - 4.1.2

Build - JZO54K.I9100XWLSW

Baseband - I9100XXMS2

Kernel - 3.0.31-1211311dpi@DELL251 #3 SMP PREEMPT Thu May 16 10:05:20 KST 2013

Message 13 of 49 (6,221 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster

This happened to me too. When I tried to turn wifi on after returning home from work, it just hung for a few mins and then switched itself off. Had to remove battery to reboot and when it came on again the battery had gone from around 50% to 13%! Touch wood this hasn't happened anymore since the phone came back on. I followed the advice re formatting before & after update.
I have also noticed the battery icon randomly disappears sometimes although comes back after restart. Anyone else had this?
Message 14 of 49 (6,158 Views)

My phone still gets stuck turning wifi on. It hangs and then I have to restart the phone. When it comes back on I usually lose 20 percent of the battery. 

So annoying. Why wont Vodafone answer us?! 

This is starting to get rediculous. I would be nice to hear some reasons why this is happening and why it isnt a priority for them to fix it.

Message 17 of 49 (6,130 Views)

So may people are suffering but Vodafone don't know how to help so just keeps silent. 

Message 19 of 49 (6,110 Views)

WiFi freeze on Samsung Galaxy S2 after upgraded to ICS 4.0.3

I have followed the instruction to upgrade my Samsung Galaxy S2 (including factory reset before and after upgrade).

After upgraded, sometimes when I turn Wifi on, it freezes like if it is trying to turn on (Wifi icon goes from dark to dim green, but never becomes green).  Then after I'll have to reboot the phone, sometimes I'll have to pull out the battery as well. 

It's very annoying !!!!! I don't have this problem before upgraded.  Does Vodafone or Samsung know this problem ?  When will Vodafone/Samsung to fix this problem ?   Is it possible for me to downgrade to gingerbread ? I hate ICS 4.0.3.

Message 15 of 49 (6,162 Views)
thesoupdragon
Topics: 138
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 12
Solutions: 199

Re: WiFi freeze on Samsung Galaxy S2 after upgraded to ICS 4.0.3

If you want to downgrade to Gingerbread you can follow my guide.

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-S2/How-To-Roll-Back-to-2-3-3/m-p/972043/message-uid/97...

All my guides can be accessed by clicking on the banner below!

Crimbo_Banner_TPJ.gif

Message 16 of 49 (6,161 Views)

Re: WiFi freeze on Samsung Galaxy S2 after upgraded to ICS 4.0.3

It seems no one can solve the problem and Vodafone also don't want to solve the problem as well.

Message 18 of 49 (6,113 Views)

I have the same problem. The wifi sometimes just doesn't switch on, the icon stays in the intermediate position and nevers lights up properly. Only solution is to restart the phone, and when you do, the wifi is on.

The other annoying problem i have since ICS update is swype. It doesn't load properly and start flashing from alphanumeric to numeric keypad, you have to change to other input method in order to make it go away, which makes de phone unresponsive for a minute or so. And if you don't go to the taskmanager and kill teh swipe process, it just drains your battery completely. I was late one day for work because it went from full charge to emtpy overnight, because of the swype problem. I had to stop using swype because of this, and the other slide keyboards available are not as good as swype.

Message 20 of 49 (6,102 Views)
Nexus 6

Nexus 6

More space to explore

Buy now