Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

charges for video calls

JennyD59
2: Seeker

This month I have been charged for two video calls - 45p each time for 1 minute, but I have never knowingly made a video call.  The number dialled is a landline so can't receive video calls anyway. Both video calls are logged as being made around 40 minutes after making an actual (hour-long) telephone call on the number.   If I've unwittingly pressed the videocall button, how can I stop this happening again?  I've had the phone six months and it's never happened before - but now twice within a few days.  This particular number is the only landline I dial and because don't know how it's happening my concern is, what's to stop it happening again and again and leaving me with a big bill?

Any advice gratefully received.  

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Which Samsung Model do you own ?

If you feel the charges are not correct due to a landline phone being contacted then you could liaise with Customer services on 191 or Live Chat. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

JennyD59
Thanks for your reply. It's a Galaxy A5.

BandOfBrothers

I think it's a case of staying clear of the video call icon as explained in http://devicehelp.optus.com.au/web/samsung-galaxy-a5/calls-and-contacts/making-calls/making-a-video-...

At the moment i cannot see a setting to turn it off. 

Do you see this icon next to the centre phone call to the left on your phone ?

image.png

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Yes - thank you - and I see it's also on the person's contact page on the left of the text icon (the evelope).  I can only think I've touched this as I put my phone away or something like that.

But does this mean even if the person I accidentally video call doesn't pick up, I will be charged anyway?

@JennyD59

I wasn’t 100% sure on this myself.

Did a bit of digging around and found out the below:

'Charges for video calls start when the called party accepts the call. If the call subsequently fails the call may still be subject to a minimum charge.'

Hi

I had exactly the same problem, only I know what I did. I had made a call to a landline and when finished continued to hold the phone while I was at my computer. I inadvertly touched the video call icon on the contact page of the person I had called moments before as the contact details were still on the screen. The called person picked up and I made a 4 second call before I realised and cleared down. My local Vodafone shop was completely unsympathetic when I explained and said mistakes have to be paid for. They did however reluctantly go into my account details and disable the facility to either receive or send video calls. I havent tried to see, but hopefully this will stop any future "mistakes".