Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

galaxy S3 connection to rca video lead

artieguber
4: Newbie

What do i need and how do i connect my S3 to and RCA lead?

A google search is full of how to get videos taken on the phone and watch them on a tv for example.  However i wish the reverse. I have a receiver unit with an RCA out (yellow video out) and i wish to play on that and view the video on my smartphone.   The output unit happens to be a wireless receiver that picks up a 2.4ghz wireless signal from a small camera. Usually i connect an RCA lead from the receiver to a tv/monitor to view the images, but i am investigating how to get the images on my phone instead.

any ideas please?

3 REPLIES 3

hrym
17: Community Champion

I suspect the place to ask this may be on a different forum, to be honest.  I'm not sure the expertise is here.

That said, the phone will have a microphone input in the headphone jack, though I doubt that would include video.  Some tablets have a usb host that will allow an sd card reader or full-size usb adaptor to be plugged into the micro usb port.  This can be used to connect a still camera and to upload pictures (I've done it with a Samsung Tab 2, albeit that has a proprietary connector).  I don't know whether that would accomodate a live feed or whether the phone has the necessary host capabilities.  If it's going to work at all, I suspect that would be the route to investigate.

I assume you want to view a live feed and not recordings that can be transferred to the phone by other means?

thanks

basically i have a wireless camera that goes to a wireless receiver (2.4ghz).  This then is connected via rca cable to a clunky lcd monitor.  My idea is to somehow view the received camera video on my smartphone instead of the hefty monitor.

i did try to put an rca leads from the receiver into the headphone socket (a 4 pole plug) but didnt then know how to get image diplayed on the screen , or even if the phone can do it.

hrym

If the phone's going to accept any kind of video input, I'd expect it to be via the usb port and you'll need an adaptor for that - not just a lead with the correct size plugs on in.  I also suspect you'll need a converter to connect to the camera.   It's probably more trouble than it's worth.

The only other thing I can think of would be to feed the camera into a wifi hub and try to pick that up.  It's a question (obviously) of getting the camera output into a form/format the phone can read.

Or you could look for a more compact monitor, possibly.   Would a portable tv do the job?  Some of the old analogue ones would accept a camera input, though they were pretty chunky.