You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 4: Established Poster
dowsinho

how do i delete audio files from my s3

somebody please help i have an sd card in my s3 which i have audio files i like to play whilst training i recently tried to add more songs by creating a sync list with the sd card and my windows media player but all that happened was it loaded every track  i have on to the phone how do i delete all the music on the device and add just the stuff i want to the sd card please somebody give me the answers soon before the urge to put my fist thru the laptop and the phone thru the window takes over lol

Message 1 of 21 (13,966 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
jeffkinn

Re: how do i delete audio files from my s3

If you connect the S3 to the computer with the USB cable, you will be able to see the internal and external memory cards in My Computer as though they were disk drives.

You will be able to manipulate the files just as you would within Windows.

I hope this helps.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 2 of 21 (13,961 Views)
dowsinho

i'll have a go does that mean i can delete all the music i have mistakenly put on my device as i just dont want it on there i only want tracks of a certain type which i play on shuffle the reason i am baffled is that i have only done what i have always done on previous phones but it synced my entire library
Message 3 of 21 (13,954 Views)
jeffkinn

Yes you can delete whatever you want but be careful - don't delete anything important for the system.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 4 of 21 (13,946 Views)
dowsinho

nah tried it ..nothing surely i can just delete the audio files on my device ????
Message 5 of 21 (13,945 Views)
jeffkinn

If the S3 is locked the memory cards don't show up in My Computer

You can use file manager in the S3 as well but its probably fiddly and longer depending on how many files there are.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 6 of 21 (13,943 Views)
dowsinho

i aint the most technical guy but it seems when i connect the usb it seems i have only 2 options transfer photos or music all i want to do now really is delete the stuff i've just put on surely the phone can do that
Message 7 of 21 (13,942 Views)
jeffkinn

You need to find the app on the phone called My Files and find the folder you are looking for in there. You will see all of your files and a long press on each file brings up a menu and one of the options is delete.

It looks like you can only delete one at a time.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 8 of 21 (13,934 Views)
dowsinho

i might be missing a point here but why do i need the card to show up i don't want to alter the card in anyway i just want to delete stuff from the phone ..i don't mind if you could tell me even in idiot fashion lol cos i aint got a clue where to start
Message 9 of 21 (13,932 Views)
dowsinho

ok i've opened the my files app and ihave 2 options sd card and ext sd card ..aint they the same then
Message 10 of 21 (13,926 Views)
jeffkinn

The files you uploaded to the phone are stored in one of two places. Either in the memory that came with the phone or on a memory card that you bought and inserted into the phone. 

In both cases the phone calls them an SD card - the one you buy and put into the phone is an external SD card. The files are on one of those cards and you can find them in the My Files app and delete them.

If you are not comfortable doing that you can do the same thing in Music Player. That should show all of the audio files you have put on the phone and again a long press brings up a menu and one of the options is delete.

There is no automatic way of undoing what you did other than by deleting the files using one of the three methods I have described

I hope that helps.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 11 of 21 (13,922 Views)
Rank 11: Helper V
b0yce

As jeffkinn has already said you have 3 options;

1) Delete the files from your phone using;

a) My files (Home Screen - Press Apps - find it in Apps section), or

b) Another File manager program ES File Explorer here or Astro here

2) Connect to your PC via USB;

a) from Auto-play pop-up (Windows XP/7/Vista) select Explore files and manuall delete from there, or

b) Open Windows Explorer (Windows Button + E) and locate your phone (on Windows 7 it is listed under Portable Devices) and navigate to Card and your Synch location.

3) Using Kies Air (here) and then remotely accessing your phone using a browser on your PC/Mac - as long as you are both on the same network and the phone can connect via WiFi.

HTH

Message 12 of 21 (13,921 Views)
dowsinho

ok thanks guys i think i have done it by deleting the files from sd card in the my files app .... would love to know how i can just add the tunes i wanted to by creating a sync list like i have always done i just don't get any options to do anything when i connect to my laptop or maybe it's just me lol
Message 13 of 21 (13,909 Views)
jeffkinn

The best of way of doing it is to find the audo files you want on your computer and copy them manually to the phone.  No doubt there are software solutions out there as well but personally I opted for the manual method for music and pictures.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 14 of 21 (13,906 Views)
dowsinho

maybe ..just don't know why it seems so hard with this phone never had this trouble before
Message 15 of 21 (13,902 Views)
jeffkinn

What phone did you have before?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 16 of 21 (13,901 Views)
dowsinho

htc desire and before that nokia n95 8gb both a piece of cake to use just plugged them in and all the options presented on screen nothing butthe 2 i mentioned earlier not even just charging option ....strange
Message 17 of 21 (13,896 Views)
jeffkinn

I can't comment on those two phones I'm afraid.

There are two software solutions that I am aware of - Kies and EasySync.

Other than that Its good old Windows.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 18 of 21 (13,890 Views)
dowsinho

i think i've sorted it now i've just added a couple of songs and all went well and i've deleted all the stuff i didn't want only thing is my phone will delete the contents of a folder but not the folder so i've got a shed load of empty folders lol thanks for your help anyway
Message 19 of 21 (13,883 Views)
Rank 42: Oracle I
thesoupdragon

[ Edited ]

To delete a folder go into the "My Files" App. Long press on the folder you want to delete, a menu will pop up with an option to delete.

TimDroid-wink-small.png

halloweenSig.png

Message 20 of 21 (13,878 Views)