Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

micro sim not activating with my old number

dane_hill
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

i have a problem with my galaxy s3, went into store yesterday to get new micro sim activated with my old number but still hasn't been swapped over, its been almost 24 hours when i was told it would take between 20 minutes and 2 hours,

please help..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

1daniel
9: Established

I would suggest going into a vodafone store to do this again just in case. There is one thing I would personally try before that if you have this option - If you are able to use your old phone with the old sim card dial 191 and follow the options there to speak to someone to get it sorted.

Other people might advise you to call an 0870 from a landline. I found I was waiting listening to music and getting nowhere doing that which is why I advise going to the most convenient vodafone store if you cannot do the other suggestion.

View solution in original position

61 REPLIES 61

thesoupdragon
17: Community Champion

Hi John,

I've had a quick scan through the whole thread, so excuse me if I get some facts wrong... (not intentional)

You mentioned previously that as a workaround to the original slow activation you cut down your old SIM card to use in your Phone?

I'm just wondering if that is causing the system some confusion...? By seeing an active SIM, is the system assuming activation has worked?

I exchange SIM cards on a regular basis because of the reviews I do on new devices. The process I follow is this;

• Exchange SIM in local Vodafone Store
  • Store Staff remove old SIM, insert New and keep the Phone switched off
  • Wait 30mins then turn the Phone back on, New SIM is now active.

It could be worth trying the process I use and see if it works for you...?

I hope it helps...

TSD

soup dragon the only way you would know if your sim card was or has been deactivated  is when it no longer works in your mobile then you would know to change it over , what i did  to begin with  as it was a different size sim  card from a normal to a micro, i put the new micro sim that vodafone gave me into my iphone and it never activated , so rather than be without a phone i cut down my old one so i would at least have the use of a phone , it will be 14 days this tue  that vodafone have been aware of the problem and the best they have come up with it MAY be the sim card that is faulty , well i have done what they said and gone back to there shop told them the long boring story  and i was promised this would cure it . well it hasnt but its me who is having to do all the running around  online help, landline with customer care  and going back to there shop  and they still havent sorted out the problem . i know have very little faith in vodafone fault fault tech's. Now i know its just a pay as you go sim , but it could have easily have been a contract sim card change from lets say an iphone 4s to an iphone 5s and i would have had no telecoms for as it is 12 days .

thesoupdragon

Hi John

I have to say I am stumped as to why this is taking so long?

I'm going to pull @Annie_N into the conversation. She is a customer with lots of PAYG knowledge.

Hi Annie_N do you know of any reason why a SIM swap from one size to another should fail to activate for a PAYG customer?

Your help would be much appreciated... :smileywink:

JohnBerwick's first post starts at post No. 11 HERE

Many thanks

TSD

TSD that is now 2 x new micro sim cards both have not activated .

I'm having the same issue now and it's really ##~## me off. I'm guessing it's going to be 30 days before my new phone works. PATHETIC

Moderator note: Edited post, please refer to our Community Guidelines

hrym

Why 30 days?   SIM activation normally happens pretty quickly, sometimes within minutes.   My own experience tends to indicate that using Live Chat is the best route - I'm usually up and running before the sesion's ended.   I tried the online form once, but without any success at all.   Vodafone shops can also activate for you.

hrym

It's the callback thinig I can't get my head round.  When I did it, the whole thing was done inside the chat session.  Did you ask to activate the SIM and did the advisor then say "hello, there seems to be a problem, I'll have to get someone to call you" - or words to that effect?  Or did you raise the issue of it not activating before and was that the basis of the chat session?

If it takes 3-5 days to activate a SIM, something else seems to be wrong.

on  tue  4pm 22/07/14 i walked into a vodafone shop told them i needed to change my sim card from a normal size to one that would fit in an iphone 4s they went in to there system  got my details and mobile number  and allocated me an new sim card and then told me it should be active in 20min or at least in a few hours , and i am still waiting phone every day since them and  have been told there is a fault  in the system and thats all they will tell me  other than its been put to there faults team

i  have used a work around that will work till vodafone  sort it out , i have cut down my old sim card and its works on my iphone, plus i will also know when the old card is deactivated and the new on is

Hi JohnBerwick,

You've said you've added your details via the link.

If you pass me the reference that would of come back on the auto reply, I can make sure that my team has this.

Or has this now been fixed for you?

Thanks,

Laura