Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 2: First Poster
Ashleydwsmith

s3 freezing and restore issues

Hi, having major problems with my s3. Noticed it started freezing randomly after updating ota the other day. Spoke to an assistant in staines store advised me to factory reset. Backed up on kies whihc took 2 hours. Left to restore overnight but failed. Took laptop to work and tried to do it there 5 hours later its not done. So now I have a phone that has been factory reset and is still freezing and will not restore from kies. To same im a little bit angry is an understatement. Oh and I was also told that I could send my phone away to be repaired but I wouldnt be given a loan phone whilst it was away. Thankx very much vodafone.
Message 1 of 46 (6,248 Views)
Rank 32: Scholar I
63johnw

Re: s3 freezing and restore issues

Hi. If factory reset hasnt worked might be corrupted firmware.

You may want to use tsd guide to reflash the firmware or roll back then reinstall.

If you reflash most people recommend a factory reset straight away before installing apps etc to make sure all old firmware is removed.

http://s3guides.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/flashing-guide-for-samsung-galaxy-s-3.html?m=1

Fotor0629191212.jpg

Message 2 of 46 (6,239 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
jebziggy

I've had this same problem. I've also noticed that since I updated it the battery runs down extremely fast and takes longer to charge up. Is there a definitive way to rectify this or return to the previous version without loosing data & info etc. I'd rather not be trying several possible solutions and end up in the same or worse position.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 46 (6,197 Views)
Ashleydwsmith

Factory rest done, restored from google and downloaded all required apps again. So far its ok touch wood.
Message 4 of 46 (6,186 Views)
Tech Team
Sukhi

Hi jebziggy

I'm afraid there isn’t a way to return to the previous software.

I can see that a factory re-set seems to have worked for Ashleydwsmith could you try the same?  

Thanks

Sukhi

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 5 of 46 (6,157 Views)
Rank 13: Guide II
tonytango

@SUKHI you are wrong you can go back to the previous software.

download a program called odin then the software from here 

http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?page=3&model=GT-I9300&pcode=VOD&os=1&type=1#firmware

blackberry storm 2
nokia n97 mini x6
sony Ericsson satio
htc touch 2
htc hd2
samsung galaxy s x3
nokia e65
htc desire hd x2

so far this year
Message 6 of 46 (6,142 Views)
Rank 41: Professor V
thesoupdragon

@tonytango

The Vodafone Staff cannot recommend anything other than officially supported Manufacturer processes for Firmware updating or flashing.

@Sukhi

I believe it is perfectly acceptible to refer people to the Community for "Alternative" methods of doing things without compromising the official stance of the business.

Anyone interested can click on the animated button in my Signature for a Galaxy S3 flashing guide which also instructs on rolling back to previous firmwares.

Wink.gif

Banner.png

Message 7 of 46 (6,132 Views)
jebziggy

Thanks for the replies.

I'll definately have to try some of the above as it's getting worse and to the point where I've left the back cover off to remove the battery becasue it's crashing so often. And even thought it's been charging all night it only reach 65% power.

I'll be backing up with Kies, but am I wrong in thinkging that it doesn't save setting & data attributed to apps? For instance, any setting on games or information on other apps? Will it be any different if backing up using my Gmail account, or which one is better?

Thanks

Message 8 of 46 (6,102 Views)
Ashleydwsmith

I really struggled with a kies restore, so cannot say, but I think it saves all app data. Google doesnt as you have to download apps again.
Message 9 of 46 (6,084 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

Have you tried a Hard reset ??

Turn off the phone wait 30 secounds 

Then press the V+ and Home key then press the powere and hold until the first Samsung logo shows then let go 

and the recovery mode will show up, Now from here you can do a Factory wipe.

This will remove every thing.

Right the Kies fix 

Take Note Vodafone cos it is possible !!!

Open up Kies and connect the phone 

Then Klick Tools and Firmware and initialization now it should show your model 

It will the ask you for your IMEI Number it will then search Samsungs records and it will put back on the last recorded firmware now it may list more then one so pick the previous and it will install this just like doing a update 

But you must have done a Factory wipe first 

Message 10 of 46 (6,064 Views)
Silentnoise3

Ok I've got a real problem now, I've been having the freezing issues with my Samsung, I've tried various official ROMs, last try i went back to ICS stock and it seemed to be stable but I couldn't access any of my backup data so I used the OTA update to upgrade. 

This is where the problems seem to have happened it froze inbetween updating, I had no choice but to restart and now my phone seems to be a useless brick, I've tried wipe/reboot method which does nothing, Whenever it gets to the Samsung logo now it hangs and lots of coloured blocks and lines appear on the screen almost like you'd get when your graphic card dies on a PC or mac. 

Tried reflashing with Odin using the guide on here but that keeps saying failed, couldnt connect COM port? 

I'm not sure what else I can do, Also as I've been messing around with it I take it this means warranty etc will be invalid if it is permanent? Wishing I'd just taken it to a Samsung repair centre now instead of almost of a week of reboots and hassle with the damn thing.

Message 11 of 46 (6,033 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Dave

Hi Silentnoise,

I does sound like the phone may be "bricked". There's certainly nothing I can think of to try which doesn't involve starting the phone up successfully.

If you've installed a non-Vodafone approved ROM, this would invalidate the Vodafone warranty, as you say. You may still be able to get the phone repaired by Samsung on the manufacturer's warranty though.

Dave

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 12 of 46 (5,991 Views)
Silentnoise3

Hi Dave,

I've taken in to my local Vodafone to be sent off for repair. I hadn't used any custom ROMs only the official Vodafone releases, I basically had taken the phone back to ICS base in the hope it would sort the freezing issue, as it was still present in ICS i thought it must be an issue with the phone rather than software just just thought I'd go back to Jellybean and backup all my stuff however in the middle of the update back to Jellybean (official ROM) the phone froze in the middle and hence appears to be 'bricked' 

I certainly fully expect this phone to be repaired or replaced under warranty, I can't believe a phone that is only 6 months old and is literally in mint condition can suddenly go as wrong as this, and judging by the forums I'm not the only one who has had this sudden, seemingly random freezing issues with the Galaxy S3. 

Anyway I'm back to using my old HTC Desire HD, which I never had one problem with in 2 years, and it seems as reliable as ever - OK's it's bit of a brick but it's solid and reliable. 

Message 13 of 46 (5,987 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
Webreaper

In the last 3-4 weeks I've noticed that my S3 has been freezing, and then needs to be rebooted. Seems to be more prevalent on wifi, but happens on GPRS too. This problem didn't happen for the previous 6 months (i.e., June -> December) so it looks like it's something recent that's been introduced in a ROM update. Sometimes it makes the phone unusable for an hour (freezing, and needing to be rebooted every few minutes). I've factory reset, reinstalled my apps, same thing continues. I have never rooted or flashed the phone - it's totally as standard. Looking for some good news about this from Vodafone as it seems others are seeing this too. If I don't get some hints on how to fix it I'll be taking it back for a replacement later this week. However, since it seems like a duff firmware update, I full expect the same thing on any replacement phone. Tell us otherwise, voda.
Message 14 of 46 (5,968 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

Silentnoise3 wrote:

Hi Dave,

I've taken in to my local Vodafone to be sent off for repair. I hadn't used any custom ROMs only the official Vodafone releases, I basically had taken the phone back to ICS base in the hope it would sort the freezing issue, as it was still present in ICS i thought it must be an issue with the phone rather than software just just thought I'd go back to Jellybean and backup all my stuff however in the middle of the update back to Jellybean (official ROM) the phone froze in the middle and hence appears to be 'bricked' 

I certainly fully expect this phone to be repaired or replaced under warranty, I can't believe a phone that is only 6 months old and is literally in mint condition can suddenly go as wrong as this, and judging by the forums I'm not the only one who has had this sudden, seemingly random freezing issues with the Galaxy S3. 

Anyway I'm back to using my old HTC Desire HD, which I never had one problem with in 2 years, and it seems as reliable as ever - OK's it's bit of a brick but it's solid and reliable. 

Vodafone may not of been the best option here I fear it may be charged 

I have seen this and I have fixed this 

What's happened is the System cache has got cluttered with Rom reference and well has no idea what to do and when Odin says its failed means that the cache is full 

Now there will be no fault with the USB as Odin has seen this 

It can also suffer from over flash which means that firmware has been flashed over the top of another that has not been removed 

Now to some in experienced engineers they will take one look and think oh this has been rooted or they have been messing,

Now what I think has happened here is when you got ICS up and running a Full reset was not done before and after this is done from recovery mode only and a cache wipe this removes any trace 

Now I don't trust OTA as there is so much that can go wrong but the Vodafone roms have been fine so have the BTU (Unbranded)

Now the fix basically is a Full clean up of your phone and Most Second tier service centre can do this at no charge 

Message 15 of 46 (5,951 Views)
jebziggy

Even though the constant crashing and freezing of my phone is very annoying, the possibility of doing a factory restore and re-installing the firmware to have the chance that nothing will be solved as some have experienced is putting me off. Hopefully the JellyBean 4.2 is released soon rather than later and that will fix my problems without loose any data or information.

Message 16 of 46 (5,937 Views)
Silentnoise3

Thanks for taking the time to reply northern-dj

I'll wait and see what they say but you're probably right, one first looks it does look dodgy, although it still went in to download mode and it confirms it's all official etc. If they say they're charging me I'll just ask them to send it back and I'll take it to a service centre myself, and hopefully get it sorted that way. 

The way i see it if they can't fix it, or won't without charging me then I can either go to another service centre? I have insurance albeit its via my bank and I'd get charged a excess so don't really want to do this if possible or accept the charge from Vodafone? Getting it back working is the main goal but really long term it's a fix to this freezing problem, if i get it back fixed and it's still freezing! well it's going straight back! the whole core cause of my messed up phone is this bloody freezing problem. 

Message 17 of 46 (5,928 Views)
Webreaper

Vodafone (Mods specifically), Can you please let me know what I should do with the device? Are you aware of any fixes that will solve the random crashing/rebooting, or should I take it to a Vodafone store and get it replaced under warranty?
Message 18 of 46 (5,896 Views)
Rank 41: Professor V
thesoupdragon

@Webreaper

The kind of fault you are experiencing is usually due to some sort of memory leak. This is often caused by poorly coded Apps.

If you have Factory Reset and still suffer the same symptoms, it could be down to an incomplete Firmware flash/Update.

The next step would be to flash a Firmware manually yourself. This would provide an absolute clean slate to test the issue against.

If the freezing/restarting still occurs, then I would presume there may be a fault with the onboard Ram.

Personally I would be going down the route of returning the Phone to the Manufacturer for investigation.

The reason I suggest returning to Samsung is because if the Phone has to be replaced, you will receive a New device. Whereas Vodafone are only obliged to replace with a reconditioned, nearly new device.

I hope you get this sorted out swiftly... :smileywink:

Banner.png

Message 19 of 46 (5,859 Views)
Webreaper

[ Edited ]
Thanks SoupDragon. Pretty certain this problem is not a dodgy app. I had a log of all recent app updates up to the point at which it started happening; I carefully went through and uninstalled the most recently installed/updated apps, and the problem remained. I can probably prove it's not an app by doing a factory reset and just not installing the apps for a day or two. Which I might do later this week if I don't get any progress elsewhere.

As for 'incomplete firmware upgrades', I'm not aware that that's possible. It either works, or it doesn't. I'm certainly not going to flash a firmware myself; if Voda have screwed up one of their more recent ROM OTAs, I'm not going to risk invalidating my warranty by updating the firmware myself. My hunch is that there's a problem with the RAM, as you suggest. it seems this problem is common (it's being reported in various other forums) so perhaps something in the latest OTA tickled a bad batch of phones. Who knows.

As for returning the phone, whether I take it back to Voda or Samsung the result should be the same - it's within the 1-year warranty, so I'd expect a free, brand new replacement. If either attempted to fob me off with a refurbished replacement, I'd be down to Trading Standards quicker than you can say "sorry sir, here's a brand new replacement phone". ;-)
Message 20 of 46 (5,857 Views)