You are here:
Ask a question:
Reply
Rank 1: Guest
MTFAustin
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎16-03-2011

what is the best launcher app?

what is the best launcher app out there and that works best on the galaxy s? Also how to i install onto phone?

Message 1 of 17 (3,286 Views)
Rank 42: Oracle I
thesoupdragon
Posts: 6,110
Registered: ‎09-10-2010

Re: what is the best launcher app?

It's very subjective... The Big 2 are Launcher Pro, and ADW EX. I personally like Zeam!

 

All of these can be downloaded from Android Market. There are free, and Paid for versions.

 

Just try them to see which one you like!

 

TSD :smileywink:

halloweenSig.png

Message 2 of 17 (3,284 Views)
Rank 14: Guide III
jimc130
Posts: 1,343
Registered: ‎02-07-2010

Re: what is the best launcher app?

MIUI


SGS I9000
Rom : CyanogenMod 9 nightlies

Message 3 of 17 (3,280 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
JDK1556
Posts: 168
Registered: ‎14-07-2009

Re: what is the best launcher app?

Hello,

 

I've noticed with all the launcher apps that i've tried that you lose the unread email count animation from the stock email application (not GMAIL).  I've looked in the settings of all the apps i've tried and it doesn't seem to work.  Bit annoying as its a really useful feature as I've noticed my galaxy s plays email notification sounds sometimes then when I go and look there are no new emails?? So I do rely on the unread count quite a lot.

 

For this reason I always revert back to the stock launcher.

 

Anyone else found this problem ????

 

JDK.

Message 4 of 17 (3,275 Views)
Rank 12: Guide I
dnairb001
Posts: 486
Registered: ‎19-09-2010

Re: what is the best launcher app?

Not tried MIUI, might have to have a look. I use Launcher pro, initially just used the free version then decided I liked it that much I bought the full version to unlock other features.

 

Message 5 of 17 (3,274 Views)
Rank 8: Helper II
frostfree
Posts: 707
Registered: ‎05-07-2009

Re: what is the best launcher app?

 


JDK1556 wrote:

Hello,

 

I've noticed with all the launcher apps that i've tried that you lose the unread email count animation from the stock email application (not GMAIL).  I've looked in the settings of all the apps i've tried and it doesn't seem to work.  Bit annoying as its a really useful feature as I've noticed my galaxy s plays email notification sounds sometimes then when I go and look there are no new emails?? So I do rely on the unread count quite a lot.

 

For this reason I always revert back to the stock launcher.

 

Anyone else found this problem ????

 

JDK.


 

Unread email count works perfectly on Launcher Pro.

 

For about a year I used ADW on my HTC magic, but then I tried Launcher Pro and after a couple of months got the paid version for its scrolling widgets. Every now and then I still try the others such as GO, Zeam and ADW to check any improvements, but in my opinion none touches LP.

 

FF

Message 6 of 17 (3,267 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
JDK1556
Posts: 168
Registered: ‎14-07-2009

Re: what is the best launcher app?

Hi FrostFree,

 

Does the undread count only work on the paid version? I've just downloaded the free version and had a little play around and the gmail undread count in the dock bar works fine, but tried putting the other email icon (white envelope with green @ sign) on the homescreen and no undread count whereas stock launcher has a little animation on the envelope on the home screen showing the collective undread number of emails from my 3 email accounts i've got set up.

 

Also tried adding another email icon to the dock bar for the non-gmail email and that doesn't show a count either.

 

How did you get yours to work?

 

Cheers.
JDK.

Message 7 of 17 (3,259 Views)
Rank 14: Guide III
jimc130
Posts: 1,343
Registered: ‎02-07-2010

Re: what is the best launcher app?

 


"dnairb001 wrote:

Not tried MIUI, might have to have a look. I use Launcher pro, initially just used the free version then decided I liked it that much I bought the full version to unlock other features."

 

I was being a little flippant putting MIUI in there, its not an app but the launcher is part of the MIUI rom, but different to the samsung stuff.

MIUI is nice.

 


 


SGS I9000
Rom : CyanogenMod 9 nightlies

Message 8 of 17 (3,249 Views)
Rank 12: Guide I
dnairb001
Posts: 486
Registered: ‎19-09-2010

Re: what is the best launcher app?

 


jimc130 wrote:

 


"dnairb001 wrote:

Not tried MIUI, might have to have a look. I use Launcher pro, initially just used the free version then decided I liked it that much I bought the full version to unlock other features."

 

I was being a little flippant putting MIUI in there, its not an app but the launcher is part of the MIUI rom, but different to the samsung stuff.

MIUI is nice.

 


 


:smileyvery-happy: Doh, I won't go looking for that one then :smileywink:

 

Message 9 of 17 (3,244 Views)
Rank 14: Guide III
jimc130
Posts: 1,343
Registered: ‎02-07-2010

Re: what is the best launcher app?

But it is nice, very very nice:smileyhappy:


SGS I9000
Rom : CyanogenMod 9 nightlies

Message 10 of 17 (3,240 Views)
Rank 8: Helper II
frostfree
Posts: 707
Registered: ‎05-07-2009

Re: what is the best launcher app?

 


JDK1556 wrote:

Hi FrostFree,

 

Does the undread count only work on the paid version? I've just downloaded the free version and had a little play around and the gmail undread count in the dock bar works fine, but tried putting the other email icon (white envelope with green @ sign) on the homescreen and no undread count whereas stock launcher has a little animation on the envelope on the home screen showing the collective undread number of emails from my 3 email accounts i've got set up.

 

Also tried adding another email icon to the dock bar for the non-gmail email and that doesn't show a count either.

 

How did you get yours to work?

 

Cheers.
JDK.


 

Sorry I've only tried it with Gmail, I can't tell if it supports unread count for the stock email application.

 

FF

Message 11 of 17 (3,221 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
MTFAustin
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎16-03-2011

Re: what is the best launcher app?

sorry to sound noobish - but thats what i am - how do i install these launchers and change icons and everything else? any help is appreciated.

Message 12 of 17 (3,193 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
sonuneamol
Posts: 111
Registered: ‎12-11-2010

Re: what is the best launcher app?

Has anyone tried SPB Shell 3D... ???

I would say... Its the best launcher in terms of look n feel and smoothness... some of the features are are awsome...

 

Have a look at it.... http://www.spb.com/android-software/shell/

 

Its very expensive.. Not worth of money..???? What??? I know its contradicting what I said earlier.. but there is a reason ….. :smileywink:

 

It doen’t have themes and lack of widgets…:smileymad: 

 

Rest all is good.. I like the screen animation specifically… Its awesome… :smileytongue:

 

 

Message 13 of 17 (3,186 Views)
Rank 8: Helper II
frostfree
Posts: 707
Registered: ‎05-07-2009

Re: what is the best launcher app?

SPB's visually good but's completely lacking in functionality. I must say the choice of launchers is a big bonus on the Android platform.

 

FF

Message 14 of 17 (3,170 Views)
Rank 42: Oracle I
thesoupdragon
Posts: 6,110
Registered: ‎09-10-2010

Re: what is the best launcher app?

 


MTFAustin wrote:

sorry to sound noobish - but thats what i am - how do i install these launchers and change icons and everything else? any help is appreciated.


 

Download a launcher from the Market and install.

 

Restart the phone, you will be given a choice as to which launcher to use.

 

TW Launcher is the Samsung one that comes with your phone. (Touch Wiz Launcher)

 

TSD :smileywink:

halloweenSig.png

Message 15 of 17 (3,154 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
baggie
Posts: 93
Registered: ‎08-07-2010

Re: what is the best launcher app?

[ Edited ]

re spb

Like the look of this but a bit expensive wait for a price drop or at least a free trial.

Looked at coments didn't find one person that said it worked well on sgs

 

Message 16 of 17 (3,125 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
paulchambers061
Posts: 401
Registered: ‎01-09-2010

Re: what is the best launcher app?

yeah, nearly 10 quid for a launcher is a bit steep.

I can't talk though, having shelled out over £25 for copilot. In my defence it is worth that, I could spend that a year with tom tom, and still have to shell out for the kit as well.

Having just spent £150 on a bit of kit I won't ever get to own (vm tivo stb), I'm the bggest mug going for gadgets :smileyvery-happy:

Message 17 of 17 (3,112 Views)