You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
MTFAustin

what is the best launcher app?

what is the best launcher app out there and that works best on the galaxy s? Also how to i install onto phone?

Message 1 of 17 (3,284 Views)
Rank 42: Oracle I
thesoupdragon

Re: what is the best launcher app?

It's very subjective... The Big 2 are Launcher Pro, and ADW EX. I personally like Zeam!

All of these can be downloaded from Android Market. There are free, and Paid for versions.

Just try them to see which one you like!

TSD :smileywink:

halloweenSig.png

Message 2 of 17 (3,282 Views)
Rank 14: Guide III
jimc130

MIUI

SGS I9000
Rom : CyanogenMod 9 nightlies

Message 3 of 17 (3,278 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
JDK1556

Hello,

I've noticed with all the launcher apps that i've tried that you lose the unread email count animation from the stock email application (not GMAIL).  I've looked in the settings of all the apps i've tried and it doesn't seem to work.  Bit annoying as its a really useful feature as I've noticed my galaxy s plays email notification sounds sometimes then when I go and look there are no new emails?? So I do rely on the unread count quite a lot.

For this reason I always revert back to the stock launcher.

Anyone else found this problem ????

JDK.

Message 4 of 17 (3,273 Views)
Rank 12: Guide I
dnairb001

Not tried MIUI, might have to have a look. I use Launcher pro, initially just used the free version then decided I liked it that much I bought the full version to unlock other features.

Message 5 of 17 (3,272 Views)
Rank 8: Helper II
frostfree

JDK1556 wrote:

Hello,

I've noticed with all the launcher apps that i've tried that you lose the unread email count animation from the stock email application (not GMAIL).  I've looked in the settings of all the apps i've tried and it doesn't seem to work.  Bit annoying as its a really useful feature as I've noticed my galaxy s plays email notification sounds sometimes then when I go and look there are no new emails?? So I do rely on the unread count quite a lot.

For this reason I always revert back to the stock launcher.

Anyone else found this problem ????

JDK.

Unread email count works perfectly on Launcher Pro.

For about a year I used ADW on my HTC magic, but then I tried Launcher Pro and after a couple of months got the paid version for its scrolling widgets. Every now and then I still try the others such as GO, Zeam and ADW to check any improvements, but in my opinion none touches LP.

FF

Message 6 of 17 (3,265 Views)
JDK1556

Hi FrostFree,

Does the undread count only work on the paid version? I've just downloaded the free version and had a little play around and the gmail undread count in the dock bar works fine, but tried putting the other email icon (white envelope with green @ sign) on the homescreen and no undread count whereas stock launcher has a little animation on the envelope on the home screen showing the collective undread number of emails from my 3 email accounts i've got set up.

Also tried adding another email icon to the dock bar for the non-gmail email and that doesn't show a count either.

How did you get yours to work?

Cheers.
JDK.

Message 7 of 17 (3,257 Views)
jimc130

"dnairb001 wrote:

Not tried MIUI, might have to have a look. I use Launcher pro, initially just used the free version then decided I liked it that much I bought the full version to unlock other features."

I was being a little flippant putting MIUI in there, its not an app but the launcher is part of the MIUI rom, but different to the samsung stuff.

MIUI is nice.

SGS I9000

Message 8 of 17 (3,247 Views)
Rank 12: Guide I
dnairb001

jimc130 wrote:

"dnairb001 wrote:

Not tried MIUI, might have to have a look. I use Launcher pro, initially just used the free version then decided I liked it that much I bought the full version to unlock other features."

I was being a little flippant putting MIUI in there, its not an app but the launcher is part of the MIUI rom, but different to the samsung stuff.

MIUI is nice.

:smileyvery-happy: Doh, I won't go looking for that one then :smileywink:

Message 9 of 17 (3,242 Views)
jimc130

But it is nice, very very nice:smileyhappy:

SGS I9000

Message 10 of 17 (3,238 Views)
frostfree

JDK1556 wrote:

Hi FrostFree,

Does the undread count only work on the paid version? I've just downloaded the free version and had a little play around and the gmail undread count in the dock bar works fine, but tried putting the other email icon (white envelope with green @ sign) on the homescreen and no undread count whereas stock launcher has a little animation on the envelope on the home screen showing the collective undread number of emails from my 3 email accounts i've got set up.

Also tried adding another email icon to the dock bar for the non-gmail email and that doesn't show a count either.

How did you get yours to work?

Cheers.
JDK.

Sorry I've only tried it with Gmail, I can't tell if it supports unread count for the stock email application.

FF

Message 11 of 17 (3,219 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
MTFAustin

sorry to sound noobish - but thats what i am - how do i install these launchers and change icons and everything else? any help is appreciated.

Message 12 of 17 (3,191 Views)
sonuneamol

Has anyone tried SPB Shell 3D... ???

I would say... Its the best launcher in terms of look n feel and smoothness... some of the features are are awsome...

Have a look at it.... http://www.spb.com/android-software/shell/

Its very expensive.. Not worth of money..???? What??? I know its contradicting what I said earlier.. but there is a reason ….. :smileywink:

It doen’t have themes and lack of widgets…:smileymad: 

Rest all is good.. I like the screen animation specifically… Its awesome… :smileytongue:

Message 13 of 17 (3,184 Views)
frostfree

SPB's visually good but's completely lacking in functionality. I must say the choice of launchers is a big bonus on the Android platform.

FF

Message 14 of 17 (3,168 Views)
Rank 42: Oracle I
thesoupdragon

MTFAustin wrote:

sorry to sound noobish - but thats what i am - how do i install these launchers and change icons and everything else? any help is appreciated.

Download a launcher from the Market and install.

Restart the phone, you will be given a choice as to which launcher to use.

TW Launcher is the Samsung one that comes with your phone. (Touch Wiz Launcher)

TSD :smileywink:

halloweenSig.png

Message 15 of 17 (3,152 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
baggie

[ Edited ]

re spb

Like the look of this but a bit expensive wait for a price drop or at least a free trial.

Looked at coments didn't find one person that said it worked well on sgs

Message 16 of 17 (3,123 Views)
paulchambers061

yeah, nearly 10 quid for a launcher is a bit steep.

I can't talk though, having shelled out over £25 for copilot. In my defence it is worth that, I could spend that a year with tom tom, and still have to shell out for the kit as well.

Having just spent £150 on a bit of kit I won't ever get to own (vm tivo stb), I'm the bggest mug going for gadgets :smileyvery-happy:

Message 17 of 17 (3,110 Views)
iPhone 6

iPhone 6

Bigger than bigger

Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Stand out from the crowd

My Vodafone

My Vodafone

Stay in control of your spending and manage your account online.

Need more credit?

Top Up

It's easy to top up online.

Vodafone Freebee Rewardz

Vodafone Freebee Rewardz

Earn Rewardz points every time you top up.